GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online Gaming Sucks in the UK"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/02/02 at 14:02
Regular
Well, it does.
Most of us have a 56k dialup to access the net, and therefore use that to play online games.

Except it causes problems, as you end up with a ping like a telephone number and lag like you're underwater wearing concrete pants.

Which is rubbish when you're up against other geeks from all corners of the globe.
A lot of servers are "Low ping only" which means only hardcore nerds and those abroad with cable can get below 100.
So you end up in public servers clogged with muppets that teamkill and then go "Er...how do I jump?"

But broadband is expensive in this country.
Because we are an insular nation that follows the rest of the world 7 months after the world has moved on.
"Wow, Freeserve Anytime means a monthly payment of only £12.99 and that's all you pay!!!2
Crap, in the States they don't pay for local calls at all, so they only pay for the server subscription.
And broadband is pretty standard over there, which is why a load of online gamers are these hardcore, jarhead "SIR YES SIR!" clans that I hate.
And you hate.

You've seen them, those pretend-military outfits with rank and numbers, training sessions and "Application" tests.
Idiots.
My Clan, The UK Dentists (www.ukd.org.uk) take anyone that doesn't think they're in the real army.
We are over 100 strong and we all play for fun.
And we're famous throughout the net community for being absolutely rubbish.
Which is fantastic.

We in the UK suffer online gaming because of high-pricing and poor availability for broadband access, so until then we must suffer poor lag, high pings and Germans with no humour that play for real.

This has been the 1st proper topic in the PC Games Forum and I thank you.
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:37
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:

>Why did you dress as a Jedi for that photo again?

I was going to a fancy dress party, and sent that photo for a laugh.

Anyway, I think there are new drivers available for your graphics card!

Quick, download them! You can now see Captain Janeway in even clearer detail on your nerdy online games.

Geeks.
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Online gaming is for geeks.

And nerds.
---

Yeah.
Why did you dress as a Jedi for that photo again?
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Excuse me for doing hardly anything with UKD since I've joined, sir. It's not
> you, it's Flashpoint. Just don't like it too much.
---

That's why we now play Castle Wolfenstein and Counterstrike and Tribes 2 more often than Flashpoint.

More fun, faster and just better
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:28
Regular
"not dead"
Online gaming is for geeks.

And nerds.
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:26
Regular
Excuse me for doing hardly anything with UKD since I've joined, sir. It's not you, it's Flashpoint. Just don't like it too much.

I wanna play Unreal Tournament and all the braindead shooter ones, I don't want to have to think about how fast I run if I carry too much ammo.
Thu 14/02/02 at 14:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Well, it does.
Most of us have a 56k dialup to access the net, and therefore use that to play online games.

Except it causes problems, as you end up with a ping like a telephone number and lag like you're underwater wearing concrete pants.

Which is rubbish when you're up against other geeks from all corners of the globe.
A lot of servers are "Low ping only" which means only hardcore nerds and those abroad with cable can get below 100.
So you end up in public servers clogged with muppets that teamkill and then go "Er...how do I jump?"

But broadband is expensive in this country.
Because we are an insular nation that follows the rest of the world 7 months after the world has moved on.
"Wow, Freeserve Anytime means a monthly payment of only £12.99 and that's all you pay!!!2
Crap, in the States they don't pay for local calls at all, so they only pay for the server subscription.
And broadband is pretty standard over there, which is why a load of online gamers are these hardcore, jarhead "SIR YES SIR!" clans that I hate.
And you hate.

You've seen them, those pretend-military outfits with rank and numbers, training sessions and "Application" tests.
Idiots.
My Clan, The UK Dentists (www.ukd.org.uk) take anyone that doesn't think they're in the real army.
We are over 100 strong and we all play for fun.
And we're famous throughout the net community for being absolutely rubbish.
Which is fantastic.

We in the UK suffer online gaming because of high-pricing and poor availability for broadband access, so until then we must suffer poor lag, high pings and Germans with no humour that play for real.

This has been the 1st proper topic in the PC Games Forum and I thank you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.