GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online Gaming Sucks in the UK"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/02/02 at 14:02
Regular
Well, it does.
Most of us have a 56k dialup to access the net, and therefore use that to play online games.

Except it causes problems, as you end up with a ping like a telephone number and lag like you're underwater wearing concrete pants.

Which is rubbish when you're up against other geeks from all corners of the globe.
A lot of servers are "Low ping only" which means only hardcore nerds and those abroad with cable can get below 100.
So you end up in public servers clogged with muppets that teamkill and then go "Er...how do I jump?"

But broadband is expensive in this country.
Because we are an insular nation that follows the rest of the world 7 months after the world has moved on.
"Wow, Freeserve Anytime means a monthly payment of only £12.99 and that's all you pay!!!2
Crap, in the States they don't pay for local calls at all, so they only pay for the server subscription.
And broadband is pretty standard over there, which is why a load of online gamers are these hardcore, jarhead "SIR YES SIR!" clans that I hate.
And you hate.

You've seen them, those pretend-military outfits with rank and numbers, training sessions and "Application" tests.
Idiots.
My Clan, The UK Dentists (www.ukd.org.uk) take anyone that doesn't think they're in the real army.
We are over 100 strong and we all play for fun.
And we're famous throughout the net community for being absolutely rubbish.
Which is fantastic.

We in the UK suffer online gaming because of high-pricing and poor availability for broadband access, so until then we must suffer poor lag, high pings and Germans with no humour that play for real.

This has been the 1st proper topic in the PC Games Forum and I thank you.
Sat 16/02/02 at 13:31
I'm on aol too, but my connection is pathetic. I have a 56k modem, and it normally connects about 52k. Last time i played counter strike, i had a ping of 1200! And most the time i played it was like that. It was terrible, so in the end i stopped playing.
But now i decided to get cable internet, so that should improve it lots, the earliest they can install it is the 27th of february which isn't too bad. Then once i have that, i will start playing online games again.
Sat 16/02/02 at 12:47
I also use aol, its pretty good most of the time i can 180 when counter-strike which is decent. Im paying £25 altogether for £8 more i can get cable broadband, though there is the one off installation fee which is half price at the mo. Broadband is getting cheaper and soon it'll be available to everyone.
Fri 15/02/02 at 12:52
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Goatboy wrote:
you end up with
> a ping like a telephone number

That's gotta be the most witty description of a 56k ping I've ever read. Congrats. :)

Well, I used to play Counter-Strike non-stop using a 56k dial-up con (with AOL, unbelievably) and my ping slowly seemed to decrease over the months until it was around the 190 mark - astonishing.
Some time late last year, however, I seemed to stop playing online and even deleted CS off my hard drive. Trouble is, now I want to play it again but some twit has gone and ripped the CD key sticker off my Half-Life case! :(

I think the only way forward for broadband in the UK is cable as ADSL is simply too expensive for most of us. However, the one thing that's stopping a lot of people from getting cable (including myself) is the poor coverage of it in this country. Still, if I get desperate and also get a job at the same time, I may be forced to fork out on ADSL.
Thu 14/02/02 at 21:02
"Uzi Lover"
Me and my mate get annoyed sometimes with the '23-year-Old Geeks' as we say, when playing online.

Some people can take the game so far, even when the games suppose to be fun (e.g Worms). Worms has hardly any lag at all, thats why I love it online and being a multiplayer game it's great.

Gaming is fun when the hobby's not taken too far.
Thu 14/02/02 at 16:45
Regular
Hmmm, have to break up this notable only conversation.

Now, what to say, eh?

Umm... yeah! Online Gaming is for geeks!

But then so is dressing up in Jedi stuff.

Hmmm, which side to take? Difficult choice....
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yep, me too.

And you're a dad. Which makes you automatically uncool and not "down with the kids".
Besides, Online Gaming will never moan because you didn't stop off and get bread on the way home.

*Big Thumb pressing down on Meka*

Run along Nintendo Jedi Boy, your wife is calling.

hur hur
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:47
Regular
Meka Dragon wrote:

"Have fun with your mice, boys."

I can't be a geek. I've got Battle Royale on DVD. That makes me superior to you.
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:46
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

"That's why we now play Castle Wolfenstein and Counterstrike and Tribes 2 more often than Flashpoint."

That's cool. I really need those games. :0)

And a computer to run them too, I suppose.

Unreal Tournament, anyone, anytime though. :0)
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:45
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:
> Yeah, I'm a huge Trekkie.

Not specifically you, the majority* of online gamers are the same sort that wear ill-fitting Star Trek T-shirts, and live in poorly lit bed sits, eating only Pot Noodles and vitamin supplements.

*In my sick twisted mind.

I'm going home to play games with my wife. Who I can touch.

Have fun with your mice, boys.
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, I'm a huge Trekkie.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.