GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Crystal Maze!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/12/02 at 17:45
Regular
Remember the Crystal Maze? All ways on late on Channel 4. Every child loved it but it was on at about 10pm when we were young and then they moved it forward so everyone could watch it.

You had to love this program, whether it was Richard O'Briens maniac like appearance, and random screamings of "mmmmmmumsy" as he entered the medieval section, or the complex and warm appearance of the aztec area. The funniest thing was watching the fat people having to do balancing events or the nerdy people having to use strength and failing miserably and getting locked in. Another source of amusement is when they actually get the crystal and are on their way back when they accidentally drop it in some swamp or something and can't find it again.

This show was the Daddy, collecting the tokens in a giant wind filled crystal with the crazy O'brien shouting completely random encouragement at them, followed by laughter when they had a negative score, was more amusing (well maybe not) than watching the lovely melinda messenger prance around on the comparitavely crap Fort Boyard.

In terms of Areas: medieval and aztec quite clearly ruled. Futuristic was pretty crap and industrial was a laugh, especially the maze level.

In fact Crystal Maze was probably the best program on at the time, then it all went horribly wrong when O'Brien left and was replaced with the rather lame Ed Tudor Pole who didn't really stand a chance of replacing O'Brien as he might well have been sane, had a dodgy hair cut, and was about 6'5.

Anyway i think a crystal maze conversation is in order, main topics are best area, best level, O'Brien as a mad man, Ed tudor Pole poorest replacement ever?

Ah fond memories
Sun 22/12/02 at 14:54
Regular
almost as bad, but as O'brien is a legend he was harder to replace, and ed tudor pole fell well short of the mark
Sun 22/12/02 at 10:37
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Ashley wrote:
> Ed tudor Pole poorest
> replacement ever?

Surely the worst replacement ever was Dexter Fletcher taking over from Dominik Diamond (spelling?) on GamesMaster.
Sat 21/12/02 at 20:48
Regular
popped so we can have some decent topics on the first page rather than pure spam!!!!
Tue 17/12/02 at 23:42
Regular
"This is an automatic lock in, you have twenty minutes to make one cup of tea"
*Moron runs in*

"OH MY GOD WHAT DO I DO? WHERES THE TEA POT?"
"LEEEEEFTTT"
"RRRRRRRIIIIGGGGGHT"
"UUUUUUP"

"Mummmmmsssyyyy"
"3...2....1..."
>>Locked in<<<
Tue 17/12/02 at 23:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
That tv show was class. The futuristic zone was the best i reckon, there was usually a challenge involving laserbeams there. Aztec was pretty good as well, usually consisting of shimmying along a stick of bamboo above a lot of water.
Tue 17/12/02 at 20:45
"Genius!"
i still watch it on challenge tv a bit on sky. i think the bald man was funny because he used to always play the harmonica and it always annoying the contestants!
Tue 17/12/02 at 19:06
Regular
actually i take it back. The funniest thing is when the really crap person on the team gets locked in right at the beginning and everyone pretends to be dissappointed. Then they just leave them there until some woman goes "we should buy them out", you see the look of absolute horror on the rest of the teams face and the worst thing is that the idiot who suggested buying them out is the captain and is only letting her out cos she wants to makesure her friend hasn't chipped a nail. Then the person they let out gets lock in again and they have lost a crystal.
Tue 17/12/02 at 18:48
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I no longer making the sense I go to gym and take anger out on weights...

mmmmm sweaty lycra.
Tue 17/12/02 at 18:46
"Darth Vader 3442321"
They could have used the Millenium dome as a giant crystal maze, which immigrants grasp at £50 notes for as long as their permits allowed. This would obviously be paid for by the tax payers who do all the work for little reward in this country and then we could pay for it again in TV licenses when they make it into a five hour show hosted by Smilie, Volderman and Paul Ross, on the BBC.

Then a follow up programme would be the Crystal Palace where we look at the lovely homes that the contestants have bought (with Goverment subsidy as well) with their winnings.

I really am in a stinker.
Tue 17/12/02 at 18:28
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
...and I can't spell house, that's great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.