GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why I won't be buying MGS2 (mainly for Tarrant and SSXPRO)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/02 at 15:00
Regular
Ok, (why do I seem to start all my threads with that? Anyway...) why won't I be buying MGS2? Simple:

Hype.

It's very rare that an anticipated game ever lives up to it's hype, let alone a game of MGS2 proportions. It's actually realliy pee-ing me off when I keep reading stuff on here like:

"MGS 2 is the best game EVER!".

Er, no it's not. IMHO. Also, how do you know? Have you played the full thing? Have you played every game that's ever been released, ever? Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's going to be rubbish. I just don't think it will be this gaming utopia that everyone seems to be expecting.

I have played the demo, and admittedly it's not the full game, so I haven't got the complete view. But then you wouldn't get the complete view until you'd spent your £40 and completed the whole game.

Which I don't intend to do.

What's wrong with it then?

Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but: What *is* a Metal Gear? Who are the people you work for? Good guys or Bad Guys? I sat through about 4 days of cut scene before playing the demo, and I still don't know the answers.

The main problem I have with MGS2, apart from the fact it's boring as hell (more on that later), is the fact that it seems to rely on you having played, and to some extent completed, the first game.

Which I haven't. I didn't own a PSX, and haven't played even 1 second of MGS. So I have no idea of the story etc. Was this explained to me? Nope.

Going back to the boring bit I mentioned earlier...

I found MGS2 boring. I know this part is all personal opinion, so I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I did. I want games to be fun. I don't want to have to sneak around making sure no one can see me. I want to barge in with a rocket launcher and blow the crap out of everyone.

I don't want to spend my playing time in complete fear of being discovered. I don't want to breathe a huge sigh of relief each time I finish a level.

Basically, I want enjoyment, not challenges from my game.

I want a game that I can play for just 10 minutes before I go to the pub. I want a game where I don't *have* to play for an hour just to get a level finished. I want a game where I don't save at every opportunity just in case one tiny mistake means game over.

I want a game that isn't MGS2.
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:47
yes but the final version isn't going to differ from the demo much and if so only for the better and it is said to be just like the first and i loved the first. Lets be honest the game isn't going to be a flop now is it! The game is going to be good because the final product is always better than the demo! too many people have said that it is a must have game to flop from the demo so don't tell me that the game i sgoing to be rubbish compared to the demo and at the end of the day i am only saying that the demo is good!
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:38
All you are going by is what other people say about a game. It's not what they think about the game, it's what you think about the game.
Mon 18/02/02 at 09:04
if i think a demo is great and i want to say so then i will, all the magazines give it 95% and above bar one, so the final version must live up to all the hype!
Sun 17/02/02 at 23:20
The graphics are good but just wait until you see the new scenes in FFX. I mean these graphics look like real life. Just perfect.

Alik a demo doesn't make a game great. You have to wait until the whole game comes out before you can judge it.
Sun 17/02/02 at 11:44
ye i know what you mean, all other games could be dissapointing compared to this, but it could get designers to lift their fingers out and start producing quality games all of the time instead of delivering pure rubbish to our consoles with games like Salt Lake 2002 and burnout, we want more class titles like GTA3, GT3, Max Payne and ISS', game designers need to spend more time on titles and get all the glitches out of games before they bring them out onto the shelves for us to buy.
Sun 17/02/02 at 11:38
Regular
I hope it does'nt push the PS2 to the maximum, because we still have a good 3-4 years left with it, the ps1 improved every year.
Sun 17/02/02 at 11:30
The demo blew me away as soon as i started to play on it, the time and effort which has gone into designing the game has sure paid off, the weather effects are un-beatable yet and the graphics easily push the ps2 to its maximum capabilities, i beleive that everyone should own this games because it would show Kojami how much we appreciate the title and how good the next installment will anticipate us. MGS2 will change the future of gamoing even though others do not see it yet, check out my post on MGS2 - has set the future of gaming and post your views there.
Sun 17/02/02 at 11:26
Regular
I did'nt like metal gear on the snes and did'nt like metal gear solid on playstation but i think i will give the ps2 version ago because the demo is just so good.
i hope the game will be a bit longer this time.
Sun 17/02/02 at 11:22
i loved mgs and i am sure i will MGS2, i still play on the first one, why did ign and gamespot who are normally biased on games and rate them low, they both gave the game 95% and above, explain that for a gme that beats FINAL FANTASY 10, the us version has been improved for the launch in britain along with bonus material and an extra dvd.
Sun 17/02/02 at 11:19
you are cheecky for a 12 year old and somehow i dont think that a leg lock would hurt off a 12 year old that watches WWF, did your MOMMy tell you it was fake, there is nothing fake about boxing its all real and people do get hurt.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.