GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why I won't be buying MGS2 (mainly for Tarrant and SSXPRO)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/02 at 15:00
Regular
Ok, (why do I seem to start all my threads with that? Anyway...) why won't I be buying MGS2? Simple:

Hype.

It's very rare that an anticipated game ever lives up to it's hype, let alone a game of MGS2 proportions. It's actually realliy pee-ing me off when I keep reading stuff on here like:

"MGS 2 is the best game EVER!".

Er, no it's not. IMHO. Also, how do you know? Have you played the full thing? Have you played every game that's ever been released, ever? Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's going to be rubbish. I just don't think it will be this gaming utopia that everyone seems to be expecting.

I have played the demo, and admittedly it's not the full game, so I haven't got the complete view. But then you wouldn't get the complete view until you'd spent your £40 and completed the whole game.

Which I don't intend to do.

What's wrong with it then?

Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but: What *is* a Metal Gear? Who are the people you work for? Good guys or Bad Guys? I sat through about 4 days of cut scene before playing the demo, and I still don't know the answers.

The main problem I have with MGS2, apart from the fact it's boring as hell (more on that later), is the fact that it seems to rely on you having played, and to some extent completed, the first game.

Which I haven't. I didn't own a PSX, and haven't played even 1 second of MGS. So I have no idea of the story etc. Was this explained to me? Nope.

Going back to the boring bit I mentioned earlier...

I found MGS2 boring. I know this part is all personal opinion, so I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I did. I want games to be fun. I don't want to have to sneak around making sure no one can see me. I want to barge in with a rocket launcher and blow the crap out of everyone.

I don't want to spend my playing time in complete fear of being discovered. I don't want to breathe a huge sigh of relief each time I finish a level.

Basically, I want enjoyment, not challenges from my game.

I want a game that I can play for just 10 minutes before I go to the pub. I want a game where I don't *have* to play for an hour just to get a level finished. I want a game where I don't save at every opportunity just in case one tiny mistake means game over.

I want a game that isn't MGS2.
Tue 12/02/02 at 15:00
Regular
Ok, (why do I seem to start all my threads with that? Anyway...) why won't I be buying MGS2? Simple:

Hype.

It's very rare that an anticipated game ever lives up to it's hype, let alone a game of MGS2 proportions. It's actually realliy pee-ing me off when I keep reading stuff on here like:

"MGS 2 is the best game EVER!".

Er, no it's not. IMHO. Also, how do you know? Have you played the full thing? Have you played every game that's ever been released, ever? Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's going to be rubbish. I just don't think it will be this gaming utopia that everyone seems to be expecting.

I have played the demo, and admittedly it's not the full game, so I haven't got the complete view. But then you wouldn't get the complete view until you'd spent your £40 and completed the whole game.

Which I don't intend to do.

What's wrong with it then?

Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but: What *is* a Metal Gear? Who are the people you work for? Good guys or Bad Guys? I sat through about 4 days of cut scene before playing the demo, and I still don't know the answers.

The main problem I have with MGS2, apart from the fact it's boring as hell (more on that later), is the fact that it seems to rely on you having played, and to some extent completed, the first game.

Which I haven't. I didn't own a PSX, and haven't played even 1 second of MGS. So I have no idea of the story etc. Was this explained to me? Nope.

Going back to the boring bit I mentioned earlier...

I found MGS2 boring. I know this part is all personal opinion, so I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I did. I want games to be fun. I don't want to have to sneak around making sure no one can see me. I want to barge in with a rocket launcher and blow the crap out of everyone.

I don't want to spend my playing time in complete fear of being discovered. I don't want to breathe a huge sigh of relief each time I finish a level.

Basically, I want enjoyment, not challenges from my game.

I want a game that I can play for just 10 minutes before I go to the pub. I want a game where I don't *have* to play for an hour just to get a level finished. I want a game where I don't save at every opportunity just in case one tiny mistake means game over.

I want a game that isn't MGS2.
Tue 12/02/02 at 15:46
Ok fair enough, you don't dig on metal gear. As I've said before, it makes no difference to me in the same way that my wanting to play it should make no difference to you.

It just seems that your reasoning is "I don't know anything about it or understand it, so I don't want to play", hell - thats fair enough too. Given that Meatal Gear boasts the "tactical espionage action" handle, it probably isn't the game for you, as you say - you prefer to run in guns blazing.

You're right it probably won't live up to the hype. But I think it'll still be damn good. However, if you do feel like trying it out, then I would advise playing the first game beforehand. It does indeed look like some prior knowledge is required, but then it is a sequel, would I have enjoyed Die Hard 2 without knowledge of Die Hard 1? Who knows, probably, but the first film helped.

But if, like you say, you want a game that isn't Metal Gear, then ignore the hype, ignore the game ..... and keep your damn filthy anti-MGS2 topics to your damn self!

:-D
Tue 12/02/02 at 15:51
eep! I've just realised that a lot of my posts today could be construed as anti YH. But they're not, I'm just messing dude!

You're probably aware of this and infact chuckling at my taking this seriously, but just incase - I thought you should know that this is all in jest.
Tue 12/02/02 at 16:15
Regular
Lol, don't worry mate, I know you're only messing.

Just answer me this though:

What *is* a Metal Gear?

Cheers.
Tue 12/02/02 at 16:29
Its like a walking Nuclear weapon, think ED209 from Robocop, then make it bigger, then equip it with some big ol' nukes. I guess thats roughly it.

I can't remember what the advantages of it walking are, i guess its so you can launch a nuclear strike from anywhere, and it won't appear on radars and stuff? Erm... or perhaps its so it can go up stairs?

Anyway, the jist of mgs2 is that this previously top secret walking battle fortress called Metal gear Rex (he starred in the first metal gear solid on the psx) has had his specs sold on the black market, so now everyone has got a metal gear.

To stay ahead of the bunch, they (probably the US) have to build a newer better one. enter Metal Gear Ray, its an aquatic metal gear (walk and swim - one assumes the flying one will be reserved for mgs3).
The demo of mgs2 sees metal gear ray get hijacked by commie scum, Snake witnesses this whilst on a routine sneak about and take picture of nu metal gear mission.

What happens from there, only the us, japan and a bag of uk reviewers know.

It'll be fun, unless you don't like it. in which case it'll be dull.
Tue 12/02/02 at 16:32
"High polygon count"
I'm anti-YH.
Tue 12/02/02 at 16:41
Afternoon auntie Wookiee. Glad to see the transformation is going well.
Tue 12/02/02 at 16:42
"High polygon count"
I knew someone would come out with something like that, and I really thought it would be YH.

Shame on you devo!
Tue 12/02/02 at 16:45

Ah....shame......
Tue 12/02/02 at 16:48
Regular
Cheers for the update Tarrant.

As I said originally, I have no doubts that it is a good game. The lowest review score I've heard is something like 77%, which is well above the average of 50%, so even the lowest score says it is a good game.

I just don't think it will be this ultimate gaming nirvana that some people seem to think it might be.

Add to that the fact that it's not my type of game.

And the fact that people are already hailing it as a "classic" which it isn't, no matter how you define the word.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.