GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Did you have a good weekend?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/08/07 at 10:20
"nope"
Have you ever noticed how people ask this an do not actually wish to know, in fact they ask and if you give any detailed account as to why it was not a good weekend they look hideously insulted. Some people even get upset if one just says 'no'. I tried for a while simply avoiding the question by saying nothing what so ever but this tended to end up in unpredictable situations although admittedly I did have reasonable success in spite of the side effects. Another method was to instantly change the subject to something else, this was frustrating because if people notice then things go awry and if they do not notice then I feel agitated that I am even talking to them. Occasionally I have considered alternative methods.
Fri 24/08/07 at 13:56
"nope"
Revolver Ocelot wrote:
> ...what? That offends you? Its just a conversation starter, know
> one goes around "Ah, theres Jim, I will ask him about his
> weekend and not expect an answer, that'll really annoy
> him."

haha,

no you are right.. instead of "Ah, theres Jim..." it is ... and at about 3am, and at high amplitude... "OYOY JIMMY BOY".

my poo joke aside,

can you see (at all) my point?

slightly more apt would be "I hope that you are well" (as opposed to "I hope that you are well?". Or if they feel compelled to bring the morning into it "I meet thee with glee this morning and hope that you are well. (...then swiftly into business so as to avert any suspicion of a response being desired)"
Fri 24/08/07 at 13:49
"nope"
Sunflower wrote:
> iggvopvantoodlewin originally wrote:
> Stuff

Where did I write "Stuff"? but oddly, stuff was one method I used for a while. "What did you do at the weekend... "Stuff!".

>
> There's an answer that can avoid everything, no matter what your
> weekend was like, just say "Yeh, you?"
For me the problem with Yeh, you is that it seems to infer some level of normality.

> ..it only goes wrong when the person asks just because they want
> to point out something bad about theirs...
I do not mind that. If they really wish to talk.
It is the meaninglessness of saying "Did you have a good weekend?" when really they could not care less so should not bother... and then even worse getting upset when I respond "No" to avoid lying or else looking at me as if I were a goon when I to say "I am not sure what I did at the weekend"... fair enough that it is perhaps unusual by comparison with most of the people I have encountered but then these days it would seem a hard push to dawn this insufferable behaviour (which is where it seems to be in many peoples estimation). If they really wanted me to do it I could attempt to formulate a summary of good and bad things that happened throughout the period between Friday and Monday but since no thoughtful response was desired this would be akin to a crime.

...I would probably respond better to an occasional "Greetings Earthling" because it might make me chuckle or perhaps some sort of breakfast Tourette's disorder... i.e. Mary sees John FROSTIES, John responds with quiver... COCO ..COCO POPS
Fri 24/08/07 at 13:28
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
...what? That offends you? Its just a conversation starter, know one goes around "Ah, theres Jim, I will ask him about his weekend and not expect an answer, that'll really annoy him."
Fri 24/08/07 at 13:25
"nope"
pb wrote:
> Doesn't bother me. The answer is to just do something
> interesting every weekend! :D

Even if I do... i still do not remember.
Fri 24/08/07 at 13:06
"possibly impossible"
Doesn't bother me. The answer is to just do something interesting every weekend! :D
Fri 24/08/07 at 12:29
Regular
"I may return"
iggvopvantoodlewin originally wrote:
> Stuff

There's an answer that can avoid everything, no matter what your weekend was like, just say "Yeh, you?"
..it only goes wrong when the person asks just because they want to point out something bad about theirs...
Fri 24/08/07 at 10:57
"nope"
> So all in all, Yes I think I had a great weekend. Don't you?
You sound really objective in life.

Overall my problem (with being like that) is that I cannot remember what I did at the weekend (ever).

But the point of the thread is/was to draw attention to the plight (insignificant plight.. naturally) of those who cannot stomach the "HOW ARE YOU TODAY", "GOOD MORNING" niceties that burden day to day existence under 'normal' circumstances. Then on to seek tried and failed or succeeded remedies?
Fri 24/08/07 at 10:39
Regular
"Lucky Me"
Did I have a good weekend? See for youself.
My youngest daughter(aged 17) got two World Records in Flight Archery, one of my sons obtained his Grand Master Flight Archer status, my other daughter had just got her A'level results (A, A, B.), and she also celebrated her 19th birthday and one of my other sons had his first weekend in his newly bought home!

So all in all, Yes I think I had a great weekend. Don't you?

Lucky1
Fri 24/08/07 at 10:20
"nope"
Have you ever noticed how people ask this an do not actually wish to know, in fact they ask and if you give any detailed account as to why it was not a good weekend they look hideously insulted. Some people even get upset if one just says 'no'. I tried for a while simply avoiding the question by saying nothing what so ever but this tended to end up in unpredictable situations although admittedly I did have reasonable success in spite of the side effects. Another method was to instantly change the subject to something else, this was frustrating because if people notice then things go awry and if they do not notice then I feel agitated that I am even talking to them. Occasionally I have considered alternative methods.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.