GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Little Ditty for you"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/01/02 at 14:32
Regular
Go back over the wonders of PHP and it's useage...

I've just compiled a page of links for a political site I have been working on, in all there are over 800 of them on this page...

Out of this 800+ there are:
200 using ASP and 1 using PHP! That's right... 1...

Now all of these are large global sites of major status, so if PHP is that amazing, how come only one of them uses it?
Fri 18/01/02 at 14:32
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Go back over the wonders of PHP and it's useage...

I've just compiled a page of links for a political site I have been working on, in all there are over 800 of them on this page...

Out of this 800+ there are:
200 using ASP and 1 using PHP! That's right... 1...

Now all of these are large global sites of major status, so if PHP is that amazing, how come only one of them uses it?
Fri 18/01/02 at 15:12
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Maybe because ASP is a Microsoft thing, and everyone knows Microsoft :o)

But when I was getting into the whole Web Site area, I was thinking ASP is the thing to use, but now I've done some research, I feel PHP is better .... as it's cheaper :o)

Guess those sites just don't do research. Channel 5 use PHP, so guess they were clever little:o)
Fri 18/01/02 at 16:05
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Myabe they all know PHP is better but it would be too much of a job to change, maybe I have no idea what i'm talking about.
Fri 18/01/02 at 16:38
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
OK...since I don't really know anything about PHP or ASP and you guys seem to talk about them all the time, could someone point me in the right direction (i.e. a decent website), where I can learn all about it? It would be much appreciated!
Fri 18/01/02 at 16:45
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/aspdir.html will take you to a site teaching ASP.
Fri 18/01/02 at 16:48
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
See http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/usersubmit/installphp.html for PHP stuff.
Fri 18/01/02 at 17:02
Regular
"How Handy."
It'll be a managment thing. Microsoft is big and apparently best, or so the marketing people would like you to believe. I suppose its a bit like your situation too Tyla, even if they did want to try php, it'd mean weeks of work which is expensive and time consuming, so it just doesn't make good business sense.
Sat 19/01/02 at 00:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's a feel-good thing. People that if they pay s-loads for a Microsoft site they are getting a good thing. They also think that if it's free it makes their company look cheap, which is a bad thing. Of course, we all know the opposite.

Another factor is if you get TAUGHT web development you get taught ASP. Because of this, there are hundreds of Microsoft developers to every one Unix developer.

If you need evidence as to its superiority, just go to the most popular and useful site on the Internet - Google. For their dynamic pages they use PHP.

PHP is like Unix - it's superior to Windows* (for the Internet) but because of its philosophy, and that people just won't accept that anything free is good, it's not reached dominance yet.
Mon 21/01/02 at 08:23
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Just to give you a few of those site names involved:

Ananova, BBC, Bloomberg, CNN, Euronews, ITN, Sky, Home Office, London Assembley, UN, NATO...

The argument that no one will use it because it's free is a bit crap... HTML is free? ONe of the reasons is existing infrastructure... As pointed out already, if your laready MS based with your LAN etc, it's cheaper and easier to continue with that platform, if your staring out new, then you'd look at all of the options...

We have looked into Linux/PHP here, but quite frankly the support that NS offers is too good to turn down as well as the support we get from DELL on our servers.

Just to put you in the picture with what it would cost us to change our entire infrastructure to cope... Currently we have:

24 Web Servers (2 Secure / https)
2 Domain Controllers (BIG IP's)
3 Database Servers (1 Redundant)

All run IIS, SQL, MS2000 and ASP.

We host over 200 sites all dynamic ones feeding off ASP (about 75%) and most of those dynamic ones involve some form of security password system on them.

The cost of this little lot alone and the installation comes near to the 1,000,000 mark and gives us 24/7/365 up time.
Could you imagine the cost for converting our systems to use PHP instead let alone Linux/Unix?

Just out of interest, how secure is PHP?
Mon 21/01/02 at 08:49
Regular
A big reason for using ASP is stupid management. Microsoft reps come in with fancy graphics and presentations and woo the management. PHP doesn't do this as its free and doesn't need to sell itself. If you want to see how wide spread its use is then check out the web server survey figures published every month. Click here to see the web server charts which show apache has nearly 64% of the market and MS only has 26%.

Click here to see the apache module chart which shows php is installed in 50% of apache servers. That means that 32% of web servers have apache with php which is higher then the total number of IIS servers out there.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.