GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
" Wii success will not last, says Dave Perry"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/07/07 at 08:54
Regular
No not GamesMaster Dave Perry, the other one, Earthworm Jim creator.

Click

Apart from those who are still on their honeymoon with the Wii (recent purchasers), have any of you who have had yours a long time thought that you might tire of the Wii because of it's graphics? Would new, 'must have' games on consoles like the PS3 and 360 tempt you to buy one of those instead and perhaps forget about your Wii?

I still don't have any of the consoles. Like Kawada I am a graphics w***e. But then I do like the Wiimote and the wholte new way of playing games. It's not the games that attract me to the Wii, it's the Wiimote. So far I havent heard of any good games on the PS3 or 360, but I am sure they are on the way.

Garin you're rich, can you buy me all three consoles so I can see what all this fuss is about? Pretty please?
Sun 05/08/07 at 22:03
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Geffdof wrote:
> Non of them really seem to have
> much substance, from what I've seen (except probably Zelda).

Funny that Zelda is the game I've played the least of the 6 or seven I've got for my Wii now.
Sun 05/08/07 at 22:02
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Anyone commenting that Wii will be overshadoweed by either PS3 or 360 is short-sighted and not a little silly.

With the price the consoles are being sold at, if you can afford a PS3 or 360, a Wii is pocket-change. Therefore if you want your hot graphics, but are afraid of missing out on the phenomenon, you'll get both, and pick up whichever Wii games take your fancy therafter .

Personally, I wouldn't touch the PS3 with an eighty foot shaft of diamond tipped steel. The very thought of me wasting my retirement fund on a machine whose selling point could be made redundant by HD-DVD is terrifying, and as a non-Halo fan, the 360 seems quite limited also when compared to my PC.

The whole issue, as mentioned by almost everyone below, is that it's horses for courses. And when you're being sold slow-roasted lamb for the price of a packet of quavers, people are going to keep on biting.
Fri 20/07/07 at 17:50
Regular
"lets go back"
I don't like the Wii for the very same reasons that I love the DS. The games are all novel concepts with fancy control systems and full of crazy mini games. Non of them really seem to have much substance, from what I've seen (except probably Zelda). For me this is great in a hand held, but in a home console I'd want to be able to play some "proper" games like driving and fighting games without having to wave a stupid stick around in the air.

This is the Wiis bad point from my point of view. If they make some "proper" games and you control them with a regular controller then they wont be as good as the PS3/360 HD versions so you have to have silly games.

Ive still not tried out a Wii yet though, so my mind will possibly be changed when I do, but for now Im more interested in getting a PS3.
Fri 20/07/07 at 13:41
Regular
"Captain to you."
I think "Dave" doesn't really understand the gamers that purchase the Wii, if they only cared or were drawn to just pretty games they wouldn't have got a Wii in the first place.

Most Wii owners don't have a Wii as their only gaming source, they either have a ps3, 360 or a PC for other games.

Every console will have their controllers put down when something big is released if it's on another format that a person owns.

Wiimotes down for Bioshock and Quakewars, keyboard and mouse down for metroid prime, mario galaxy and battalion wars 2.

I don't think any game on any console will turn people away from the Wii completely as no one anywhere ever only plays one game forever. (well maybe WoW gamers)

At the end of the day 360, ps3 and PC aren't trying to do anything new and so aren't likely to take the wider range of customers from the Wii.
Fri 20/07/07 at 11:14
Regular
"8==="
So long as they can entertain the casuals it'll last.

It'd be nice to see a simple RTS and some turn-based RPGs for the hardcore though.
Fri 20/07/07 at 10:22
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Nope, I love my Wii, and I favour gameplay to graphics. By not focusing on how many polygons (or whatever) per second, and focusing on the fun factor of the console, Nintendo have well and true done brilliantly in my eyes. The games I have got are all great, the console was cheap, there's some very decent games to be released... what more could you want? Nintendo have clearly thought outside the box and pulled the carpet from under Sony and Xbox's feet, and I certainly won't be purchasing either a 360 or PS3 in the future.
Fri 20/07/07 at 10:17
Regular
Hang on, weren't people saying that the PSP would wipe the floor with the DS? Look what happened there. But the machines target diferent audiences. I'd hardly touched my Wii for a few weeks, then had some friends round. One of them brought his 360 thinking we'd have a go on Live (I have BB).

However, we spent about half an hour on the 360, and the rest of the night playing the Wii. Which is exactly the market Ninty are aiming for, and they've been a raving success.

MS & Sony are fighting over the same 30 million people. Nintendo are opening themselves up to the other hundreds of millions in the world. Who's the mug?

Interestingly, with Nintendo no aiming for a much wider audience, and Sony pushing a new film format on consumers, it's funny to think that perhaps MS are staying the most true to he games? Who'd have thunk that 4 or 5 years ago?
Fri 20/07/07 at 10:04
Regular
As long as good new games keep coming out. I don't see why the Wii wont carry on being a success. I suppose it's very likely the Wii 2 will improve in graphics.

At the moment I only come across Wii game adverts on TV. If I was a kid I'd want a Wii for Christmas. (there will be lots of stock right? One complaint I've heard is that Nintendo seem to keep running out) But if I was a hardcore gamer/movie nut, I guess I'd want the PS3 with a bunch of Blu-ray movies.

I wonder how many more years till we have a clear winner in this format war. =(

P.S How much are Wii games again? I saw one advert and the game was less than £20. That can't be right? If it is then I love the Wii even more. I dont like expensive games £35+
Fri 20/07/07 at 09:54
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think the Wii will carry on selling at the same rate throughout this generation. It may only satisfy regular gamers for 6 months before they get bored, but the new breed of 'gamer' that the Wii is targetting will carry on buying it, and all the plastic accessories.

Wii Fit is going to be huge despite the parodies doing the rounds. (Probably because the Wii's target audience don't research games).
Fri 20/07/07 at 09:50
"possibly impossible"
Dave misses the point completely. The sales of the Wii have been due in part (and a large part at that) to non-gamers who find themselves getting in to games. They're not going to be attracted to the other machines in the same way as the Wii and they're not likely to want more than one console under their lounge TV.

'proper' gamers would more likely have chosen their favourite console already, many seem to have gone for the Wii and another console, getting the best of both worlds.

Sure, the success won't last, which is why Nintendo will bring out the Wii 2 in 4-5 years or so. Plenty of time to get its already installed userbase hooked on more innovations like the Wii Fit package, before selling them the new console.

There is a chance that people will tire of their Wii, but since the average gamer tires of any console over time and then tends to go back to it, it may not be a problem. The area Nintendo are winning with, the non-gamer, will use the Wii occasionally and will dip in to it, so they won't really get bored. And there are plenty of other non-gamers out there ready to be shown what the Wii can do, so while there's only a finite number of customers for PS3 and 360, Nintendo have the world.

That said, many gamers will be swayed by the other 2 graphics hungry consoles. But these have now been out for a while already and how many second hand Wii's do you see?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.