GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 DVD"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/01/02 at 16:25
Regular
I think my second PS2 is now on the way out!!

I had a couple of DVD's for Christmas, watched one on Boxing Day, when I could force myself to switch off PES.

I went to watch the same DVD a couple of days ago, and the machine won't read the DVD at all. This was also the case with my newly purchased Tomb Raider DVD ( yes I know it's not the greatest film, but it's got Angelina Jolie dressed up as Lara Croft! What else does it need?).

It will still play some of my collection of DVDs but not all, including some that had worked previously.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a solution, other than ring Sony and shout at them, again?

Cheers

Mark
Thu 24/01/02 at 09:56
I just hope you do get a new one and not a 'reconditioned unit'.

What problems have you had with your machines?
Wed 23/01/02 at 20:01
markh wrote:
Iwasn't
> having that, so called at 10am (opening time for them), and got through to their
> techies. They explained that most replacements sent out are 're-conditioned
> units. That'll be second-hand, previously knackered ones then. They told me
> they'd send me out a brand-new machine, earliest day they could deliver was 29th
> January. Managed to get them down to this Friday (25th).
I'm fed up, this
> means I'll be onto my fourth machine since launch day.

I beat you by one ! My FIFTH machine is going to be delivered on the 31st, which I didn't think was too bad,as they could have delivered on the 29th.

Anyway, the important thing with Sony is to NEVER agree or accept to let them "call you back" as they either don't or take ages about doing it. Today the lady at customer services offered to have tech support call me "within a few days", instead I said that was no good and didn't mind waiting on hold. 10 minutes later I was put through to Technical support where they quickly arranged to have a new machine delivered. I always find the best thing, for any helpline, is not to start ranting on at the person at the other end of the phone as its not their fault that the machine is faulty !
Wed 23/01/02 at 15:10
Yeah, checked it on my PC and on a mates PS2.

Damnedest thing is at least I could still play games on the last one, I'm now left with one with no power!!!!

No Pro Evo until Friday. Oh well at least there's footie on tonight and Buffy, Angel and Friends tomorrow. Otherwise I don't think I could cope.

Sad isn't it?

:o)

Mark
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:07
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Have you tested your disc on a standalone DVD player at all?

It may sound dumb, but it's worth checking.
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:05
I'm getting increasingly ticked off with Sony.

Not only did it take 4 days to get a call back from their technical department, it then took 5 further days to get a new machine delivered to me. This arrived yesterday.

Got it home last night, plugged it all in, switched it on......nothing, no power, nada, niet. Phoned them immediately, spent the usual 15 minutes in queue, to be told there's nothing we can do tonight, we'll put you on a callback, expect a call in the next 48 hours. They couldn't put apriority as it works in rotation.

Iwasn't having that, so called at 10am (opening time for them), and got through to their techies. They explained that most replacements sent out are 're-conditioned units. That'll be second-hand, previously knackered ones then. They told me they'd send me out a brand-new machine, earliest day they could deliver was 29th January. Managed to get them down to this Friday (25th).

I'm fed up, this means I'll be onto my fourth machine since launch day.

Don't get me wrong I love the console, the games have been great, I'm currently addicted to Pro Evo, but the hardware has been so unreliable.

Thanks for listening, I had to have a bit of a rant,

Mark
Thu 10/01/02 at 17:29
Regular
"Bah"
95% of problems with DVD and games are dirty disks and scrathces and the rest is (5%) lasyer reader failure - it becomes unfocused and cant read the fine band
hope this helps if you havent sorted it yet
MM
Thu 10/01/02 at 10:53
Thanks for all your help guys.

Adrian - Thanks for the number, that was going to be my next question.

It would appear that it is my PS2, damnit! As I said this is my second one, the power unit failed on my launch machine. I'm just hoping they'll replace this one, I think it's still under a year old.

Cheers again

Mark
Wed 09/01/02 at 23:00
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I've still (luckily) NEVER had a problem with my PS2 in any form. I've just been very careful with all my games/dvd's and i've never had a problem.

Also NEVER remove any periphials whilst the console is on. Maybe not neccessary, but still something i've always done.
Tue 08/01/02 at 18:54
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Or†ega wrote:
> Tombraider works fine on my PS2. Maybe the problem could be with DVDs that have
> DVD-ROM features? I'm just guessing.

Tomb Raider, Shrek, Fast And The Furious and Final Fantasy Spirits Within all work fine on my PS2. All of them have DVD-ROM features.

Clean the discs that dont work as they could be dirty. I think some DVD's have had problems playing on the PS2.

Other than that call Sony on 08705 99 88 77
Tue 08/01/02 at 18:21
Regular
Tombraider works fine on my PS2. Maybe the problem could be with DVDs that have DVD-ROM features? I'm just guessing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.