GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Latest OPS2M - March 2003 Edition"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/02/03 at 10:38
Regular
Just got the latest edition of OPS2M by Subscription.

Playable Demos

Splinter Cell
The Mark of Kri
Rayman 3 : Hoodlum Havoc
War of the Monsters
Dr Muto
Wakeboarding Unleashed
Grand Prix Challenge
Zapper
Timesplitters 2

Game Footage

Shinobi
Pride FC
Rolling
Vexx
The Making of Tomb Raider : AOD
Primal : Behind the Scenes

Previews

Resident evil online
Enter the Matrix

Reviews

Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven 8/10
The Mark of Kri 7/10
Silent Hill 2: The Directors Cut 8/10
Dr Muto 6/10
Evolution Skateboarding 4/10
Disney Golf 6/10
Rocket Power : Beach Bandits 3/10
Pac-Man World 2 5/10
Shrek Super Party 4/10
Speed Challenge: Jacques Villenueve 2/10
Air Ranger Rescue Helicopter 4/10
Evolution Snowboarding 2/10
Monopoly Party 2/10
Lego Island Extreme Stunts 5/10
Tue 04/03/03 at 22:57
Regular
Shadow wrote:
> DeltaJava wrote:
> Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut? What's that all about then?
>
> It is the PS2 port of SH2: Restless dreams which was released on the
> Xbox, it is at £19.99, so if you did not buy the original then
> it is worth it until SH3 comes out end of May. It has an extra ending
> and a sub game.

Over 3 hours extra gameplay
Sun 02/03/03 at 15:39
"Tagline"
Splintercell's a great game- A MGS2 beater! But then I've got it on Xbox. I'd say that the guards are too good at hearing you. Way too good. A slightest movement and: "I think I heard something"
They also seem to be able to trace exactly where a bullet came from too. Great game, nevertheless
Sun 02/03/03 at 15:29
Regular
"  "
According to some people on the Playstation.com forums, they live in America and the magazines there have given it poor reviews on the PS2, and I think like Wookie said, it's not because of the game being any worse on PS2, it's simply due to the game not having much contest on XBox, although having said that, Hitman 2 which is on XBox is a much better game I.m.o. It will be interesting to see what the XBox mags say about Substance when it is released on the Box.
Sun 02/03/03 at 15:18
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
And what's with the whole "WHERE ARE YOU?" voice in the style of a Disney villain?
Sun 02/03/03 at 01:51
Yeah, that happens in all of Tom "Shoot to Kill" Clancy's games. And now I must sleep.
Sat 01/03/03 at 20:37
Regular
"  "
That's every single point why I didn't like the game, well demo. Another thing I would add is that the guards seems to fall through scenery. If the way they fall doesn't agree with the scenery then they just fall through it. MGS2, the guards slumped against walls, and Hitman 2 showed an even better example of this. Also it doesn't feel like you've actually killed someone real. Sure, they aren't real, but on MGS2 and Hitman 2 the enemies had character and their was satifaction in killing them. "Oooh, that must have hurt", is just lacking.
Sat 01/03/03 at 18:53
This may hurt...

Just finished a hardcore session on the Splinter Cell demo and I am by no means impressed.

First off there are some good points: the lighting is very good and so are the cool goggles and stuff, but other than those measly reasons there seems to be no decent opinion for this game.

My first encounter with the two guards past the kitchen and it takes them about five minutes to actually encounter me. I stood by the door listening and the music started and they walked slower than a tortoise towards me as if I were going to give up.
Shot them both in the head taking little damage myself and continued up the ladder.
Now the next guard, tried sneaking up on him to grab him from behind... Do you think I had a chance? Nooo... Walking so slow and so quite, before I had a chance he had turned around and opened fire.

You seem to encounter guards with less brain cells than Jade and others with quicker reflexes than Spider-Man!
I got killed and began again.

Used the Optic Cable to look under the kitchen door and noted the cooks walking pattern, walked in and switched off the light and quickly ran over to the other side of the room in the dark. Cook goes to turn the light back on while im halfway up the ladder and the guards see me...
Continued towards Spider-Man, I mean the next guard and shot him straight away. Now here comes the first cool part of the demo so far. I climed the pipe and then slid down the wire to the other building, great... Something you dont see Solid Snake doing everyday.

Fisher is now hangin by his finger tips on the ledge, I shimy around the ledge to come towards three windows with a guard walking back and for. Equip the thermal goggles Im told. I do so and follow the pattern of the guard and make it across without being caught. Simple, or maybe because its too easy to start with.
I shimmied back to see if I could fall onto the ledge below and guess what? I could. I took the chance of being caught by the guard looking through the window to see what would happen. But to my astonishment, it must be a very thick blind as the guard didn't notice me at all. I moved fowards and backwards, side to side and still the guard ignored me. I shot five bullets at the window and still nothing...
Very disappointing.
I fell off the ledge to the floor and was told the mission was over.

Started again...

Next thing I noticed was the actual glass. I shot it and it broke staright away and no pieces went flying, just a big !SMASH! and the glass disappeared. Not MGS2 for sure! You cant interact with any scenery, shot the pans and plates but still nothing... Shot the fire extinguisher and that works, at least thats something!

The aiming system used is quite difficult too, it takes a lot of getting used to. Moves slowly when aiming and is very difficult to position a target.

This time I took the guard hostage too which was very enjoyable, pity I had already killed the guards, anyways, I hit him over the back of the head and he was out for the count. I decided to shoot him again while he as on the floor. Nothing much happened he moved a little and that was it. Shame!

Again, got to the ledge part and entered the building, found a min camera thing, which you could shoot onto a wall to view around corners and distract guards. Pity it didnt't work. Shot it onto the wall used the button to activate the whistle and the guard just stood there and then walked back. Then used the gas effect and still nothing...

Was getting really bored at this point.

Rushed to the end of the demo, around the thin walls, which were really difficlut as the camera angle kept interferring and all I could see was a black screen. When I got to the last encounter the guards were really easy, shot both guard twice and they fell to the ground. So much for combat. Touched the computer and the mission was over.

So, after this session Im very disappointed. No real combat or enjoyable moments. Scenery is empty with nothing to interact with, guards were dumb and too easy. Camera angles were ok but annoying at times.
This really is very disappointing, I was looking forward to a real decent game and am reluctant to say that this game sucks! Sucks big time!

Although, it does say at the beginning, it does not represent the finished product. Lets hope so. Im considering changing my GAD Claim on this hands on experience...
Fri 28/02/03 at 23:45
Finally got it today, after a week of looking.

Mags ok, had better before. The Matrix section is the most enjoyable so far, cant wait for the game now. And the movie... Roll on May 15.

Splinter Cell demo ok, haven't played it much yet, have a hardcore go soon... The Fibre Optic under the door is great though... MGS2 eat your heart out!
Fri 28/02/03 at 22:04
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
I think the demo of Splinter Cell in OPS2 this month is crap
Fri 28/02/03 at 21:38
21st it says on the next month pages.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.