GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A 99% solution to piracy... and it's completely the opposite of the way the market is going..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/12/01 at 10:44
Regular
Well, in the UK that is?

You see, in this country we are forced to wait months for, often shody, conversitions of games that have elements missing. Add to that, the large amounts of poor games in production, and you can begin to see why people just can't be bothered to pay £40 for a game anymore.

You see, most people who buy piarted games do so for one of the following reasons:

*Games are too expensive
*They have bought so many poorly converted (or just plain bad) games that they feel cheated.
*The have to wait months for a game to come out over here.
*They can't be bothered to pay anyway!

Now, let's tackle these issues one-by-one, and see how publishers can fix their problems:

Well, there are two reasons that games in this country are more expensive than in the rest of the world- conversion costs and overpricing. So here's what I propose.

When developing a game, develop it in all language support and all region compatability from day one. This reduces game production costs enormously! Not only that, but games can be released around the world at the same time (meaning that you don't have to wait months for games). You'd also hope the conversions were excellent... ebcause the PAL code is no longer converted from NTSC- it's written from the ground up!

But this point can be further strengthened by completely removing regional lock outs from consoles! How about making just one copy of the games and consoles that would be sold worldwide. (If you wonder how to get around PAL, just make all the games support either TV setting, with the User picking which one... like the DC!).

So, under this system, you have universal launches of universally made games that run on any console. Seeing as a VAST majority of game profits go to retailers (developers get next to nothing!), retailers in this company will now directly compete with thoise in other countries, and prices will have to fall.

Now, another important point. How many bad games are there around? Too many considering that publishers are meant to monitor game development.

So, how about eliminating all those bad games by just stopping the games in early production, rather than making a second rate games and cashing in?

This would ensure a good quality of games, making people who pirate solely because they have been cheated in the past by second rate games, fell more willing to part with their cash.

So now we have eliminated high prices, long delays and poor games. Considering most piraters are the casual sort who just pick up a game for £5 down the market because it's cheap, this should bring them back to the industry.

OH, and because mod chip manufacturers can just say "we let people import", in the new system all consoles are multiregional, meaning any mod chip makers would be 100% responsible for piracy... destroying their market!

So now it's almost impossible to buy a mod chip anyway!

Finally, there will always be people who pirate because they can't be bothered to pay. However, these people are few at the moment, and will become even fewer when it becomes near impossible to buy a mod chip!

So, there's my argument... discuss.

Sonic
Thu 27/12/01 at 20:59
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
SIBS! Leave my topics!!!!!

Sonic
Thu 27/12/01 at 19:22
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
oh, £5 in... er... Game vouchers... Sonic you have turned to the dark side...

*shakes head*
Wed 26/12/01 at 19:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually, I missed the film... just went straight to bed last night/this morning!

Oh, and here's £5 for popping my topic... ;)

sonic
Wed 26/12/01 at 12:00
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
err... I kno0w I said I'd reply to your topics, I didn't say I'd read all the rep,ies to them, just the actual topics...

;-)

ANyway, that film was hilarious! Expect a review of it soon! (It was on at 1:40 though, not 1:15, sorry)
Wed 26/12/01 at 01:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
You know, I thought I had an hour left of Xmas until you pointed out to me that my clock was an hour slow!!!!

Oh... and cheers for repeating my point about control... have u always been an intellectual ;)

Sonic

Merry Christmas!
Wed 26/12/01 at 00:59
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
err... they wouldn't let you do the multi region thing, cos then we could just import games really easily, and I'm not sure what's wrong with that, but most companies like to be in control of when regions get their stuff... (For some reason)

anyway, ummm... well done on winning the GAD... and have a good Xmas!

(oh, wait, Xmas is over already... DOH)
Mon 24/12/01 at 19:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
OOOOOhhhh... first time I've seen one of my topics in Gold...

Cheers for the Christmas Present SR.

Sonic
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:05
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Strafex wrote:
> It's a good idea.

If only someone was clever enough to implement it.

If only! Then I might have enough cash to get an xbox! :(

Sonic
Sat 22/12/01 at 13:37
Regular
It's a good idea.

If only someone was clever enough to implement it.
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Oh, and one more thing... Strafex was saying that the industry won't listen to us- but did you ever consider why?

Well, a majority of the profits on games go to the retailer... NOT the developer or publisher. I'm sure you're all aware that we are charged far more for games over here than in the States... meaning the retailers here must be getting a huge profit on games.

Now, if you implement my solution, all international trade barriers dissapear- retailers here will have to compete with those in the States, meaning that they will have to lower prices....

Basically lockouts mean control over prices...

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.