GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cookies and Privacy changes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/03/11 at 15:54
"Are you sure?"
New 'guidelines' for website Cookies due 25th May.

"Now the EU directive means that website owners will have to obtain the consent of users before installing cookies on their computers."

BBC article and BBC Tech BLOG

It will be interesting to see is this has any impact...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 16/04/11 at 14:34
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Garin wrote:
I wouldnt be surprised if this ended up like accessibility laws. Ignored/forgotten by 90% of UK websites.

Fair point Garin :¬) and I remember all the 'requirements' that it introduced.
Sat 16/04/11 at 00:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Things like internet banking wont be affected. Its an explicitly requested service and thus exempt from the requirement I believe.

I wouldnt be surprised if this ended up like accessibility laws. Ignored/forgotten by 90% of UK websites.
Fri 15/04/11 at 14:30
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
The implementation will be enormous ... internet banking for one, relies heavily on cookies for customer recognition etc :¬(
Fri 15/04/11 at 13:27
"Are you sure?"
15th April update: www.culture.gov.uk/news...

One of the most significant changes will be to the use of cookies – the text files websites put on a user’s computer to store information such as user preferences. Organisations running websites will now need the user’s permission before a cookie can be used.

Today’s announcement follows a consultation where concerns were raised about the impact of changes to the use of cookies. To address these concerns, the Government has said it will work with browser manufacturers to see if browser setting can be enhanced to meet the requirements of the revised directive.

The updated directives must be implemented by 25 May and the Information Commissioner’s Office will publish further guidance on the use of cookies.

Mr Vaizey added: “We recognise that work on the technical solutions for cookie use will not be complete by the implementation deadline. It will take time for meaningful solutions to be developed, evaluated and rolled out. Therefore we do not expect the ICO to take enforcement action in the short term against businesses and organisations as they work out how to address their use of cookies.”

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 14/03/11 at 13:48
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I can't see how this can be implemented without a lot of businesses having to change their websites. For a lot of sites that I've visited they set cookies without asking the user. I also haven't heard how the wording is going to have to be put. Will it be sufficient to ask the user to allow "saving settings for next time" for example, or will it have to contain information about where the information will be saved - i.e. user's computer. Could get very messy...would have been better if this was done from the off.

Personally I wonder if they are absolutely necessary - if you saved more/all user info on the server side you wouldn't even have to worry about this. Also makes me wonder if that mechanism (server-side user data) would then also be subject to the same legal issues...
Wed 09/03/11 at 17:46
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Well cookies are mentioned in our Privacy Policy, which is link in the footer of our checkout system on every page. We use cookies to track customers through the order system. What about things like Google Analytics? Seem to be another load of legislation though up by clueless EU Bureaucrats. As Rory Cellan-Jones suggests, perhaps it's just a big overreaction. I see no problem in cookies being used on the site they originated from (cookies from freeola.com used to track users on our sites only) and I guess most other visitors don't either.
Wed 09/03/11 at 16:44
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I've got to say, I really don't see any point in this as you are already able to disable cookies if you don't want them anyway.

From a quick scan, the argument that's been put forward looks to be that it's a problem because they tailor adverts according to what you view regularly. I really can't see that this is a bad thing, if anything, it's likely to be beneficial.

I recon this is just going to be more or a nuisance then anything else.
Wed 09/03/11 at 15:54
"Are you sure?"
New 'guidelines' for website Cookies due 25th May.

"Now the EU directive means that website owners will have to obtain the consent of users before installing cookies on their computers."

BBC article and BBC Tech BLOG

It will be interesting to see is this has any impact...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.