GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can iPhone really compete in the Handheld Market?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/10/10 at 14:26
"possibly impossible"
Until recently many would have scoffed at the idea that a phone would compete alongside the DS and PSP. It's only through crafty pricing and some great use of the hardware, as well as a well organised App store, that it has now become a possibility.

But there are still those that don't believe it is a proper gaming device because it's a phone. That's almost the same as saying a PS3 isn't a proper gaming device because it's a Blu-ray player, the issue many have is that the iPhone was built as a phone first and games device second.

However, with companies like Chillingo (now taken over by EA) who released the hit games Angry Birds and Cut The Rope and Gameloft who have provided homages to everything from Halo (N.O.V.A) to Modern Warfare (Modern Combat) and Everybody's Golf (Let's Golf) it's clear that the console can match PSP for grunt and graphics and even beat it where the iPhone 4's retina display is used.

But then there are the controls. Yes, the DS is touch screen, but it also sports a D-Pad and real buttons. The iPhone relies on a virtual pad and buttons. Until recently this was more of an issue but in the last year developers have really got the hang of virtual controls and although it takes time to get used to them, they can be great in a shooter if done right.

Also we've seen games from the DS, like Phoenix Wright and even ports of console games like Mirror's Edge, come to iPhone as developers realise the format is ripe for investment.

The other fact pointing to the iPhone's success is the statements Nintendo have released. They don't see the PSP as much of a threat now, pointing at the iPhone take up and suggesting that this is now their big rival. That's a big statement to make about something that is 'just a phone'.

Of course it isn't just Apple. New Android devices, particularly the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S, have touted their power as game machines and the iPhone developers are starting to release ports of their games on this format too.

So is the iPhone able to compete in a gaming market? You bet, and it's bringing its phone competitors along for the ride.
Wed 27/10/10 at 14:03
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:

That's quite ironic given that most of the adverts for the phone are advertising games on the system.

As far as Android store goes it says something that people would prefer to use Getjar instead and even more so that developers like Rovio (Angry Birds) would use it over the Android store.

Sad but true pb. I forgot to mention Getjar earlier...they have been instrumental in the distribution of Angry Birds and may well be the choice of the future. As of yet, full games for the Galaxy S are Asphalt5 and Krazy Kart Racing! Mario Jump is also available now. Samsung Apps is certainly not the way to go - all its apps are for bada.

The 'heel-dragging' of Samsung with the delayed release of Android 2.2 is somewhat annoying as Android 3.0 is expected by the end of the year.
Wed 27/10/10 at 10:38
Regular
"And in last place.."
I had to walk past he Apple store yesterday. I was so tempted to go in but my train was due. Probably for the best, I'm not sure I would have come out without the Touch.
Wed 27/10/10 at 08:25
"possibly impossible"
Dragonlance wrote:
Evenin pb

Unfortunately the Samsung Galaxy S is 'lagging' behind in the race at the moment...upgrade to android 2.2 keeps getting postponed - seems it could be November now. OK, we now have a free full version of Angry Birds (which is a bonus) but very little else of note. Even the infamous Samsung Apps refuses to acknowledge the Galaxy S as suitable for the majority of its apps except hundreds of dictionaires!

That's quite ironic given that most of the adverts for the phone are advertising games on the system.

As far as Android store goes it says something that people would prefer to use Getjar instead and even more so that developers like Rovio (Angry Birds) would use it over the Android store.
Tue 26/10/10 at 00:19
Regular
"Short Attention Sp"
I am one of those who dismissed the iPhone, wondering how it could ever hope to compete with a dedicated games console. And I remained firmly of that opinion, right up until I got one!

Never underestimate the power of the App store. The phrase that comes to mind is "Never mind the quality, feel the width!" There are a lot of games. A LOT. It would be possible to play a new game every day for the rest of your life, easily. Now, they are not all good. Some are pretty awful. But, some are excellent. And, here's the thing. 1% of 50,000 is a LOT. It is a lot more than 25% of 1000.

Angry Birds is possibly the ultimate example of what iPhone gaming is about. Yes, at heart, it is a pick up and play game. Story is just a canvas on which to hang the gameplay, which is incredibly simple stuff. Essentially, it is a series of puzzles. However, I can hand on heart say that I have spent more time playing that game this year than any other on any platform. Unquestionably, the 59p that I spent on it is the best purchase I have made in 2010.

Read that price again. 59p. You can't even get a bag of chips for that these days! How it became the standard, I don't know, but I am eternally thankful that it did. Some games cost more, but you basically won't ever be paying more than a couple of quid for a game. The expensive stuff? You already have it on your bigger consoles anyway.

I would not hesitate to reccomend an iTouch device to anybody with even the slightest interest in games. The range of games on it is incomparable, but just so much more varied than other consoles. Sure, there are a few hundred browser-based alleged MMO's. But, there are also a few hundred games of the kind that just can't be found anywhere else.
Mon 25/10/10 at 20:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Evenin pb

Unfortunately the Samsung Galaxy S is 'lagging' behind in the race at the moment...upgrade to android 2.2 keeps getting postponed - seems it could be November now. OK, we now have a free full version of Angry Birds (which is a bonus) but very little else of note. Even the infamous Samsung Apps refuses to acknowledge the Galaxy S as suitable for the majority of its apps except hundreds of dictionaires!

AppBrain and AppMarket do offer a better selection, but all in all, Android 2.2 is the key for app improvement on the Galaxy S.
Mon 25/10/10 at 16:04
"possibly impossible"
iPhone really needs to be bought on a contract in place of another phone, then it's not all that much.

If you want it just for gaming, taking pictures, MP3 and surfing the net at wifi spots then iPod Touch's will do instead. Pricewise they're not that much different to a PSP but the app store has loads of free and cheap games.

Plus 'cheap' doesn't always mean that they're quick and basic games. For £2.99 you can get a really good Racer or shooter.
Mon 25/10/10 at 15:42
Regular
"And in last place.."
Thanks pb. I want one of these gadgets even more now but the obstacle in my way still has a big "£" sign on it. Maybe one day.
Mon 25/10/10 at 15:24
"possibly impossible"
Real Racing is probably right up your street. Tons of cars and tracks and easy to play but difficult to master.

Aside from that there are plenty of decent racers and off-roaders.

If you want other games with similar play time to console releases then you can try some of the shooter. NOVA, Modern Combat etc or maybe the Gangstar games (similar to the GTA 3D games) all by Gameloft.

There are also games like The Sims, God Of War clone Hero of Sparta II, Fighting games: Street Fighter IV, Blades of Fury (a Soul Calibur clone) and Bruce Lee, plenty of full 3D and 2D RPGs including classic FF games and new Oblivion style ones. Adventure games like the 2 Monkey Island Special Editions and loads of others I could spend ages mentioning.

So, yes, there are loads of short, quick pick up and play games but there are also some great games that put full console releases to shame. Check out the review section here or Appgamer.net for some of my reviews.
Mon 25/10/10 at 15:14
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I feel for those who own one, yes, the phone would be able to compete, mainly because some of the games are really quite fantastic. However, the cost would put many people off if it was only a games console they wanted - but for those investing in a phone I would say it would really benefit them having a gaming system with it.
Mon 25/10/10 at 14:48
Regular
"And in last place.."
I have no interest at all in the iPhone because I will not pay the prices involved. I do however desperately want an iPod Touch for gaming purposes only. I've got my 16 GB walkman for music, the Touch would be purely for gaming.

I've not done a great deal of research since I'm roughly the full RRP away from ever owning one of these things but I do have one concern, the lifespan of the games. I've finally nailed all gold medals on PSP Motorstorm and between online and offline, I have spent many an hour on it. I have concerns the App games are quick shot games and there is nothing that I can really get my teeth into.

Show me the error of my ways, please.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.