GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2 ports good, 4 ports bad...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/11/01 at 13:35
Regular
How many people have *honestly* had a problem with the PS1/2 only having 2 controller ports?

How many people here use their DC/N64 with 4 players more than 2?

Why is this such a downside to the Sony machines? You have to buy a tap to have 4 players? Personally, I haven't played a 4 player game since Micro Machines on the Megadrive.

Let's dispel this for once and for all.

Firstly, how about the fact that you could have 2 multitaps and have 8 player games? How cool would it be to have a footy game where almost every player is human controlled? You couldnt have that on a DC/N64, could you!

"Oh, but they are so expensive!" you cry.

Actually, it's cheaper to play 4 player on a PS1/2 than either of the other machines.

4 PS2 pads are £80, and the tap is £20. Total: £100.
4 DC pads are £80, 4 rumble packs are £36. Total: £116.
4 N64 pads are £92, 4 rumble packs are £36. Total: £128.

(all prices are from SR)

This has never been an issue for PS1/2 owners. People who want 4 player can get it. The only people that bring this up are Nintys and Segats (whatever they are called). It's just a shame they are in fact, losing on this one.

Any more arguments anyone else would like to prove wrong while we are here?
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:35
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
How many people have *honestly* had a problem with the PS1/2 only having 2 controller ports?

How many people here use their DC/N64 with 4 players more than 2?

Why is this such a downside to the Sony machines? You have to buy a tap to have 4 players? Personally, I haven't played a 4 player game since Micro Machines on the Megadrive.

Let's dispel this for once and for all.

Firstly, how about the fact that you could have 2 multitaps and have 8 player games? How cool would it be to have a footy game where almost every player is human controlled? You couldnt have that on a DC/N64, could you!

"Oh, but they are so expensive!" you cry.

Actually, it's cheaper to play 4 player on a PS1/2 than either of the other machines.

4 PS2 pads are £80, and the tap is £20. Total: £100.
4 DC pads are £80, 4 rumble packs are £36. Total: £116.
4 N64 pads are £92, 4 rumble packs are £36. Total: £128.

(all prices are from SR)

This has never been an issue for PS1/2 owners. People who want 4 player can get it. The only people that bring this up are Nintys and Segats (whatever they are called). It's just a shame they are in fact, losing on this one.

Any more arguments anyone else would like to prove wrong while we are here?
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:37
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Slaveunit wrote:
How many people here use their DC/N64 with 4 players more
> than 2?

I used to ... Post pub Mario Kart was fun! :)
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:44
Regular
I played 4 player Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Virtua Tennis and Chu Chu Rocket regulalry at university.

Also, you're facts are wrong as you don't *have* to have a rumble pack.

Thusly bringing the price of the N64/DC combinations to below that of the PS1/2.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:45
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
GoldenEye is still the best multi-player game ever.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:47
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Your Honour wrote:

Also, you're facts are wrong as you don't *have* to
> have a rumble pack.

Thusly bringing the price of the N64/DC combinations to
> below that of the PS1/2.

Correct.
The N64 rumble packs are pretty naff anyway.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:52
"High polygon count"
I had the impression he was talking about 'equivalents' though.

Personally, I never found it an issue. When Sony announced the PS2 specs, it didn't even enter my mind that there were only 2 controller ports. To me it's irrelevant.

I only ever needed more than 2 controllers for a FIFA game, and thought nothing about buying a multitap and and some extra controllers. "Damn Sony for not putting four ports on it" was never a thought that crossed my mind.

If you want a game, you buy a game. If you want a multitap, you buy a multitap. If you want extra controllers, you buy an extra controller.

No recent console, to my knowledge, has ever been supplied with more than one controller, yet they've always come with at least two ports. Older consoles (80's Atari's etc.) always came with two controllers. No-one ever moans about buying a second, third or fourth controller, so why complain about a multitap? It just isn't worth the effort, and it certainly isn't a big deal.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:54
Regular
I play 3/4 player games all the time, especially with 2 brothers and the fact that I regularly have friends round.

4 player multiplayer stretches boundaries of Gameplay as you're not fighting simulants that follow a list of rules, you fight another brain which thinks and schemes to counter act your plans.

I know the PS2 CAN do multiplayer but the fact that there was only 2 ports sent a big message:

It's not been designed for multiplayer, it just can do if you're really desperate.

There are a few neat FPS games and racers that employ this multitap but multiplayer games wise, the PS2 hasn't stepped past the N64, an ancient 5 year old machine!

The PS2 doesn't want to be a multiplayer machine.

Besides, N64 pads only cost £18, and 4x18 = £72, and you don't need rumble pads.

That leaves it almost £30 less than the PS2.

The PS2 might have a few superior FPS (but only superior in technology terms, not game design), but the N64 is way ahead in terms of general multiplayer...

I know that the multitaps aren't that expensive, but then why didn't Sony have 4 port built into the machine?

It was a statement.

They don't care for multiplayer, that's why.
A few odd PC conversions like Unreal, Quake 3 and Red Faction and had multiplayer modes, but little else.

Nintendo, on the other hand are actively supporting multiplayer modes. The machine was designed with 4 players in mind and devellopers see it as THE multiplayer machine.

Sonic Adventure 2 for example has had a whole load of multiplayer modes, just for the Gamecube release.
Sega released Monkey Ball on the Gamecube first, it being a very multiplayer based game.
Capcom are even supposedly putting a multiplayer mode up Resident Evil for the Gamecube release.

Putting it simply, the 2 pad ports just symbolise the fact that the PS2 is NOT a multiplayer machine, the same way a Nintendo machine would be.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:55
Regular
But you have to admit though, it does seem a little money grabbing by Sony, when they say that the USB ports can be used for any peripheral.

So why not release a USB controller, that way you can have 4 players without needing to buy a multitap.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:56
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
But it would be nice if the PS2 had 4 controller ports.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:56
Regular
"smile, it's free"
"4 ports good, 2 ports bad"

(Wonder if anyone gets that reference?)

Anyhow, yes I do use all four of the ports available. I've played lots of four player N64 games quite a bit:
Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Duke Nukem, F-Zero, Wipeout, Micro Machines, Lylat wars, Forsaken, Extreme-G, Diddy Kong Racing, Conker's Bad Fur day, ISS,

On the dreamcast, not so many, but I've spent a lot oftime playing four player on the following:
Tennis, Power Stone 2, Quake 3, Royal rumble, chu chu rocket.. there are more, but I've made my point, and i didn't even getaround to mentioning the megadrive J-carts...

Well over 90% of my console gaming is multiplayer, and of that, the only time it's not four player is when the game doesnt allow for it, so we have to take turns on two player.

Good point of the multitap though, is that five player micro machines v3 ranks as one of the greatest gaming experiencs of my life.

I want multitaps for the dreamcast and N64 ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.