GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A good point?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/01 at 14:37
Regular
Arguing between the casual gamer and the Hardcore has always been an in issue in the videogame industry. Question is, what makes a Hardcore gamer. We often talk of how casual gamers will switch on there playstation (it doesn't deserve a capital letter) and have a five minute play on a football game, or a racing game. Thing is, the length of time you play a game doesn't place you in the Hardcore or casual gamer category. If a game doesn't hold you for more than five minutes, it isn't doing its job. Being a Hardcore means something much deeper. What do you think makes a Hardcore (and not having a playstation doesn'y count).
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:37
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Arguing between the casual gamer and the Hardcore has always been an in issue in the videogame industry. Question is, what makes a Hardcore gamer. We often talk of how casual gamers will switch on there playstation (it doesn't deserve a capital letter) and have a five minute play on a football game, or a racing game. Thing is, the length of time you play a game doesn't place you in the Hardcore or casual gamer category. If a game doesn't hold you for more than five minutes, it isn't doing its job. Being a Hardcore means something much deeper. What do you think makes a Hardcore (and not having a playstation doesn'y count).
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:45
Regular
"DS..."
I would say a hardcore gamer is somebody who is more or less devoted to buying and playing games etc regardless of how much they play them, a casual gamer on the other hand might be someone who buys and plays games every week/ month or so? well thats a very bland definition i know and i could go into much more detail but for now I leave that to you.
slik ~_~
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:47
Regular
"DS..."
Oh also maybe how often you play games does come in to it as I reckon you would have to play games at least once a day to be a hardcore gamer, but then maybe it depends on the genre of game e.t.c any way i'll shut up for a while now!
slik ~_~
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:49
Regular
"not dead"
You want to know what I think?

There's no such thing as a hardcore gamer. It's a vision of something that can't exist.

People often throw the term hardcore gamer around when they think that their point is better than someone elses "Well what would you know, I'm a hardcore gamer, and you're obviously only a casual gamer."

I play games, I enjoy games.

It makes me a gamer.

I'm not hardcore, I'm not casual, I'm just a bloke that likes to play.

You know, we really don't all need to live in pidgeon holes.
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:49
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Don't you find the casual gamers play more Sport and racing games than the casual? And don't Hardcore gamers play more RPG's/1st person shooters?
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:50
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
I'd love to spend 5 hours a day gaming, but life's just not like that. I've got a job, I've got other interests, I've got mates to see. So the whole 'length of play' thing doesn't really apply. Unless you're on the dole, or still at school/uni.

I reckon that the definition of a hardcore gamer is someone who can NEVER play too much.
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:50
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
I like my pigeon hole thanks.
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:52
Regular
"not dead"
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> I like my pigeon hole thanks.

Good, you're welcome to it.
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:53
Regular
"DS..."
good point! maybe there is no such thing as a hardcore gamer, allthough how else do you distinguish a person who plays games loads to someone who barely touches a console? because technically even if youve only played a game once then you are a gamer but eveidently some people play more games than others, should we be making up our own definitions of gamers and stereotyping people, or should we just say that we are all gamers and leave it at that?
slik ~_~
Thu 15/11/01 at 14:55
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Don't you find Hardcore gamers strive to complete games, casual gamers are not that bothered.
I think Meka dragon is wrong. Theres a difference between pro and amateur at football so why not gaming.l

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.