GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bond Films."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/01 at 09:48
Regular
I watched The World Is Not Enough last night, and it made me think about all the Bond films I've see (pretty much all of them). They've had the latest on telly over the last few weeks, and one thing struck me about all of them - they weren't as good as the early ones.

Don't get me wrong, I like them, and I don't watch them to complete some sort of moral journey. They are a fun film, with explosions and Bond getting the woman and generally being suave.

But I still prefer the earlier ones, my favourite is Live and Let Die. One of the reasons for this is that the bad guys are actually bad guys. The bloke that is in the coffin with all the snakes, he's scary. And you can tell he's bad, straight away.

In T.W.I.N.E, Robert Carlyle (sp?) isn't scary, end of story. You don't looke at him and immediately think "Oh, bad guy alert." You look at him and think "Look, it's that bloke from Trainspotting, and the Full Monty."

I think he's a great actor, and at the end of the day, he's just doing what the director wants him to, but it just doesn't seem to work - in my opinion.

I also rate Robbie Coltrane and Pierce Brosnan as actors, so it's not as if they had a shabby cast. Coltrane was particularly good actually, and Brosnan gave his usual high performance as Bond.

As I said, I know Bond films are all about fun, and him doing blatantly unrealistic things, but they seem to have forgotten all the things that made the early films so great, and just concentrated on the special effects and the gadgets.

Here's hoping the next one has a bit more substance.
Thu 15/11/01 at 09:48
Regular
I watched The World Is Not Enough last night, and it made me think about all the Bond films I've see (pretty much all of them). They've had the latest on telly over the last few weeks, and one thing struck me about all of them - they weren't as good as the early ones.

Don't get me wrong, I like them, and I don't watch them to complete some sort of moral journey. They are a fun film, with explosions and Bond getting the woman and generally being suave.

But I still prefer the earlier ones, my favourite is Live and Let Die. One of the reasons for this is that the bad guys are actually bad guys. The bloke that is in the coffin with all the snakes, he's scary. And you can tell he's bad, straight away.

In T.W.I.N.E, Robert Carlyle (sp?) isn't scary, end of story. You don't looke at him and immediately think "Oh, bad guy alert." You look at him and think "Look, it's that bloke from Trainspotting, and the Full Monty."

I think he's a great actor, and at the end of the day, he's just doing what the director wants him to, but it just doesn't seem to work - in my opinion.

I also rate Robbie Coltrane and Pierce Brosnan as actors, so it's not as if they had a shabby cast. Coltrane was particularly good actually, and Brosnan gave his usual high performance as Bond.

As I said, I know Bond films are all about fun, and him doing blatantly unrealistic things, but they seem to have forgotten all the things that made the early films so great, and just concentrated on the special effects and the gadgets.

Here's hoping the next one has a bit more substance.
Thu 15/11/01 at 11:43
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Two words:
Roger and Moore
Thu 15/11/01 at 11:56
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Totoro wrote:
> Two words:
Roger and Moore

YUP YUP!

Roger Moore easily the best Bond!

:)
Thu 15/11/01 at 12:02
Regular
Fisrtly "Roger and Moore" is actually 3 words. :-P

Secondly, Sean Connery was the best Bond. End of argument.

Peirce Brosnan is second, Moore and Timothy Dalton must have been mistakes by the casters.
Thu 15/11/01 at 12:18
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
If you like good old Mr.Roger Moore then you MUST buy 'The Persuaders'.
You might have heard of it or maybe not, but it's great stuff.
Roger Moore is an upper-crust British aristocrat and Tony Curtis is a Brooklyn born self-made millionaire.
Together they fight crime and get up to all sorts of great hi-jinks in glamorous European cities like Rome and Paris and London.
Each episode is like a mini 007 film.
Although they're a bit old now (1971) they are still great today.
I didn't really know what it was till i got the first dvd but they are great.
Comic violence, nice settings and stories and a great partnership of chalk & cheese.
(They are worth buying just to see Roger Moores great taste in funky neckerchiefs!)
Thu 15/11/01 at 12:19
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Your Honour wrote:
> Fisrtly "Roger and Moore" is actually 3 words. :-P

I didn't mean the 'and' to be a word o.k?
Thu 15/11/01 at 12:21
Regular
Totoro wrote:

Sorry, I should have realised.

:-)
Thu 15/11/01 at 12:22
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Your Honour wrote:
> Totoro wrote:

Sorry, I should
> have realised.

Thats's o.k ;-)
Thu 15/11/01 at 12:59
"Beans!"
Thu 15/11/01 at 13:04
The only 90s bond film that was any good was goldeneye.
world is not enogh is to long but i would have not said that if most of the film was denise richards getting the night of her life.
tommorow never dies i felt wasnt as true to the films they tried to take it in to todays hitech world but it failed.

They should realise that all we want to see in a bond film is guns, cars and girls.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.