GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/08/00 at 09:05
Regular
When we ask ourselves what is the Future of gaming, what the real truth is we just dont know. Who would have thought the Micro processor would have been invented. In the eighties, did we really see our selves playing Half-life, Quake 3 or even Crazy taxi. When these new technologies came out, people were amazed by them. I feel; that this amazement just might not exists any more. When a game comes out with realistic graphics, we are not breath taken, we do not think to ourselves; " How did they do that." Because the gamers in this present time has seen so many surprises in games again and again, they are bored, starved of new and excting ideas that need to feed their appetites. So when a Multi-billion pound company decides to try and change this, how do they go about it. well, for a start, they make sure you can play your old games from your last console. They will make exciting sequels (!) They even invent the idea of having internet access on your console without giving the buyer a modem. So when trying to make a console, worthy enough of making it "next generation material, " what do you have to do? Well for a start you have to bring out excting "never been seen concepts." Painting on walls looks exciting, driving a taxi around and picking people up for fares looks cool. These ideas may see simple, and if they are seen simple to you, why havent they been used before.! Bringing out a title on a console is a good idea, when it becomes a success, that is good, when you try to make a sequel out of it, depending on the success of the first title is not always going to work. Some titles do make a success when they are made a sequel, but most of the time, it is developers just trying to get another £30-£40 from your wallet. So next generation console have to be original, they have to have experience, and most of all they have to keep their buyers in mind, after all, we are the ones who really control the games industry!
Thu 31/08/00 at 23:53
Console wars are great, they encourage developers to work harder to create really good games which will give thier console the edge. The only problem is that maybe some games that could be great end up rubbish(look at tomorrow never dies, great idea but rushed so it was not very good)

Snoochies bro!!!
Thu 31/08/00 at 23:23
This poem was written by snoochies bro
Thu 31/08/00 at 23:21
"possibly impossible"
Games are 'Just for fun' as you say, but you have to acknowledge the marketing behind them. There are a lot of frustrated games players out there who are sick of racers and 'maze' games. Most of these people have been with the games scene since it's early days and know what the buzz was like back then. You could argue that these people are just getting old, and the 'buz' for games is similar to drugs; the more you do the less effect it has (i.e. alcohol) The other side of the coin can be expressed by the demise of the Saturn, which had a lot of original games, but Sega (bless them) just didn't get the market right, they didn't know what the customers wanted (or more specifically, they didn't make the customers know what they wanted) To sum up: Standard games keep consoles alive. Third party developers are the only thing which keep originality alive, but will not program for a console unless it's popular. Consoles are popular if they have standard games. Oh, and good marketing.
Thu 31/08/00 at 23:10
The future is here the future is nigh,
Great games are coming, that you cannot deny,

The race is on, and who will win?
It is not as if the market is thin,

So many consoles, which is the best,
I'm just not sure into which one to invest,

They all look superb, that's one thing that's true,
And in the end my friends it's all up to you,

But please be sure when choosing, consider it well,
Coz in the end only time will tell,

If good games keep coming, and i hope they do
the future looks bright for me and you!!!

Thanks!!!
Thu 31/08/00 at 19:46
Blimey!! Talk about pesimistic!! I have absolutely no idea where you got any of these ideas from! Games are purely for entertainment and enjoyment... and all I can see is that in the future, games will become more realistic...What's the harm in that? A game is merely a way to escape "real life" for a while, and relax...There is no way that someone is just going to say..."Hey, I'm fed up with real life...lets just forget it and all go and live with Lara Croft"...It's just not going to happen!
I Quote... "I feel this could be the start of the end of life"

You need to see a doctor...
Wed 30/08/00 at 21:30
sega's future maybe bright and Sony's future has turned s***e!

Nintendo Rules though!
Wed 30/08/00 at 19:24
the future is bright the future is Sega
Wed 30/08/00 at 10:18
For the moment, and a few years to come, gaming will be brilliant and fun for everyone. But one must look into the future of gaming. Consoles will get better and even more ingenius resulting in games being able to be enhanced beyond imagination. As it gets more life like, T.V. will become redundant due to the fact they are the same but with computers you choose what you want to happen. Who would want to live their lives when they can live the lives of their computer counterparts. For instance the sims. It was addictive and was a cool idea. But you did not get to take your people anywhere. You can only wonder when a game where you have to get jobs and control what you do and where you go will come along. Why would someone with a bad life want to live theirs and be a shadow when on the computer you could be rich and possibly even the chance to be famous. I feel this could be the start of the end of life.
Sat 26/08/00 at 17:45
I agree to that BJangley. Anyhow, thought controlling games? yes...... quite..... not any time soon. I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself, they can't even mind control things in Star Trek! so maybe in about 500 years? As far as our minds believe it is away? don't be silly, we only use about 13% of our brains at the moment so if we used 100% maybe it would be sooner, but we don't control most of the functions and no one understands how the brain works, there are theorys but who knows if they are true? So when we understand more about the Brain then we can connect it to things, it's gonna be a long wait. I don't know if i'd like to be on the recieving ends of punches, i don't play Half-Life because i want to be a scientist stuck in a laboratory with everyone out to get me in real life.... that would be a horrible experience! So no, that's a risky subject, the future of gaming as it stands is improvements in graphics, sound and style.
Fri 25/08/00 at 11:33
Regular
"not dead"
Unfortunately I think that the console wars will hold back development rather than spur it on. No one will want to take risks on games they will only release what they think will be popular, so whilst everyone is trying to come out on top we'll not see much other than "the fastest racer...ever" and "the best fighter...ever". This is what Mr casual gamer likes and there are lots of them out there.

Also when I first came across this forum I only submitted my thoughts in a sad attempt to win a game, but it's much more fun to participate in the discussions. It's good to know that there are other people out there willing to share their views. Lets hope that the developers start looking at our wants, as well as what will sell the most.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.