GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/08/00 at 09:05
Regular
When we ask ourselves what is the Future of gaming, what the real truth is we just dont know. Who would have thought the Micro processor would have been invented. In the eighties, did we really see our selves playing Half-life, Quake 3 or even Crazy taxi. When these new technologies came out, people were amazed by them. I feel; that this amazement just might not exists any more. When a game comes out with realistic graphics, we are not breath taken, we do not think to ourselves; " How did they do that." Because the gamers in this present time has seen so many surprises in games again and again, they are bored, starved of new and excting ideas that need to feed their appetites. So when a Multi-billion pound company decides to try and change this, how do they go about it. well, for a start, they make sure you can play your old games from your last console. They will make exciting sequels (!) They even invent the idea of having internet access on your console without giving the buyer a modem. So when trying to make a console, worthy enough of making it "next generation material, " what do you have to do? Well for a start you have to bring out excting "never been seen concepts." Painting on walls looks exciting, driving a taxi around and picking people up for fares looks cool. These ideas may see simple, and if they are seen simple to you, why havent they been used before.! Bringing out a title on a console is a good idea, when it becomes a success, that is good, when you try to make a sequel out of it, depending on the success of the first title is not always going to work. Some titles do make a success when they are made a sequel, but most of the time, it is developers just trying to get another £30-£40 from your wallet. So next generation console have to be original, they have to have experience, and most of all they have to keep their buyers in mind, after all, we are the ones who really control the games industry!
Thu 17/08/00 at 09:05
When we ask ourselves what is the Future of gaming, what the real truth is we just dont know. Who would have thought the Micro processor would have been invented. In the eighties, did we really see our selves playing Half-life, Quake 3 or even Crazy taxi. When these new technologies came out, people were amazed by them. I feel; that this amazement just might not exists any more. When a game comes out with realistic graphics, we are not breath taken, we do not think to ourselves; " How did they do that." Because the gamers in this present time has seen so many surprises in games again and again, they are bored, starved of new and excting ideas that need to feed their appetites. So when a Multi-billion pound company decides to try and change this, how do they go about it. well, for a start, they make sure you can play your old games from your last console. They will make exciting sequels (!) They even invent the idea of having internet access on your console without giving the buyer a modem. So when trying to make a console, worthy enough of making it "next generation material, " what do you have to do? Well for a start you have to bring out excting "never been seen concepts." Painting on walls looks exciting, driving a taxi around and picking people up for fares looks cool. These ideas may see simple, and if they are seen simple to you, why havent they been used before.! Bringing out a title on a console is a good idea, when it becomes a success, that is good, when you try to make a sequel out of it, depending on the success of the first title is not always going to work. Some titles do make a success when they are made a sequel, but most of the time, it is developers just trying to get another £30-£40 from your wallet. So next generation console have to be original, they have to have experience, and most of all they have to keep their buyers in mind, after all, we are the ones who really control the games industry!
Thu 17/08/00 at 23:12
yes... why haven't they been tried before? oh, wait a minute! they have! You probably don't remember Quarantine, but you had to drive around in a taxi collecting fares from odd inhabitants, the only difference is that in Quarantine you had other violent drivers on the road, and could equip your car with guns. So Crazy Taxi is just a less violent Quarantine (and trust me it's exactly the same idea). Half Life, now where did that come from? oh of course! Doom anyone? or to be more precise Wolfenstien! so Quake 3? what's new about that? it's just improving multiplayer technology and computer AI and removing the single player element of first person shooters! (yes you can play single against bots but that's just simulated multiplayer). There are many developers trying to create exciting new original ideas. Take Peter Molyneaux, he created Dungeon Keeper when with Bullfrog, something that was totally original in theme (though the building blocks were there) and now what's he up to? Black and White, a very original game that some people find hard to put in a secure genre. There are many developers who don't think of gamers only as customers, but remember that they themselves are gamers and so games are created for them too! So the future of gaming is already going on, all you gotta do is pay attention! (and especially to the PC where the most innovation seems to appear, probably because there are so many developers for it)
Fri 18/08/00 at 10:36
Man are you a sad gimp, what you dont relise you rent boy is that im writing is to win, not to communicate with you. If you read the article, you will notice that i said WE WOULD NOT HAVE IMAGAGINED PLAYING HALF LIFE. I know what Wolf 3-d is, I had all the chapters for it, I completed every one, so dont go on about something you are so inexperienced about. Its people like you i want to take in a dark alley and kick to bells of s**t out of.
Fri 18/08/00 at 21:26
And you dare to call me sad, at least i'm not a wimp, scared to get into a discussion on a discussion forum. Well i think it's a shame that all you want to do is win a game, that's a bit pointless, if you just want a game, why say anything at all? You do realise that the vast majority of winners are chosen at random don't you? well why not just put in tiny comments, or at least say something valuable and accept that you will get replies. I find it most unfortunate that you don't want to communicate with people, because it would be good to actually discuss your views... of course, all you are concerned about is insulting people and winning a game, well i think you should just stop posting on a discussion forum. Yes there's a chance to win games, but i post to discuss, if i had nothing to say, regardless of the fact i could win a game, i wouldn't say it. So stop being so ridiculous and leave comments in the less read areas, where there is less risk of someone actually replying.
Thu 24/08/00 at 12:32
With the console wars still active, what will they be like tomorrow? The games advance further still, with the consoles providing the graphics, music and atmosphere to bring the game to life. With the next generation of consoles just round the corner, who knows what games are just round the corner. Today you have vibrating controllers, tomorrow you have Holographic display. Maybe you will be actually able to interact with the game, using your mind to control the game, your own thoughts changing the game as it goes. Amagine a fighting game like tekken, where you see the fighters view with your own eyes through your mind and where no move is impossible except the one's you don't think of. With 3-D rides at theme parks like the Terminator 2 Battle across time ride in Florida, maybe you play games like that, actually see the punchs, blasts, gun fire coming directly at your face in 3-D! Maybe it won't be as far off as we think, it's as only as far away is we think in our minds it's far away.
Fri 25/08/00 at 11:33
Regular
"not dead"
Unfortunately I think that the console wars will hold back development rather than spur it on. No one will want to take risks on games they will only release what they think will be popular, so whilst everyone is trying to come out on top we'll not see much other than "the fastest racer...ever" and "the best fighter...ever". This is what Mr casual gamer likes and there are lots of them out there.

Also when I first came across this forum I only submitted my thoughts in a sad attempt to win a game, but it's much more fun to participate in the discussions. It's good to know that there are other people out there willing to share their views. Lets hope that the developers start looking at our wants, as well as what will sell the most.
Sat 26/08/00 at 17:45
I agree to that BJangley. Anyhow, thought controlling games? yes...... quite..... not any time soon. I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself, they can't even mind control things in Star Trek! so maybe in about 500 years? As far as our minds believe it is away? don't be silly, we only use about 13% of our brains at the moment so if we used 100% maybe it would be sooner, but we don't control most of the functions and no one understands how the brain works, there are theorys but who knows if they are true? So when we understand more about the Brain then we can connect it to things, it's gonna be a long wait. I don't know if i'd like to be on the recieving ends of punches, i don't play Half-Life because i want to be a scientist stuck in a laboratory with everyone out to get me in real life.... that would be a horrible experience! So no, that's a risky subject, the future of gaming as it stands is improvements in graphics, sound and style.
Wed 30/08/00 at 10:18
For the moment, and a few years to come, gaming will be brilliant and fun for everyone. But one must look into the future of gaming. Consoles will get better and even more ingenius resulting in games being able to be enhanced beyond imagination. As it gets more life like, T.V. will become redundant due to the fact they are the same but with computers you choose what you want to happen. Who would want to live their lives when they can live the lives of their computer counterparts. For instance the sims. It was addictive and was a cool idea. But you did not get to take your people anywhere. You can only wonder when a game where you have to get jobs and control what you do and where you go will come along. Why would someone with a bad life want to live theirs and be a shadow when on the computer you could be rich and possibly even the chance to be famous. I feel this could be the start of the end of life.
Wed 30/08/00 at 19:24
the future is bright the future is Sega
Wed 30/08/00 at 21:30
sega's future maybe bright and Sony's future has turned s***e!

Nintendo Rules though!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.