GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can anyone explain the "Third Place" adds..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/10/01 at 22:22
Regular
Anyone???

I really don't understand them./ They seem to say that after playing your PS2 you will feel a sudden urge to either dive into blood water of sleep next to the washing machine (the dog one)

can ANYONE tell me what they mean??
Thu 25/10/01 at 18:51
I think you're both.
Thu 25/10/01 at 17:35
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Ahhhh go on, someone tell me how smart and knowledagable I am... or that I do have a sad obsession with Video Games history...
Thu 25/10/01 at 01:25
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Awful, awful marketing campaign, as most of you agree. Anyway, the thing most don't know is that Sony changed the meaning of it half way through their very, very, very, very early marketing phase - purely because they got Lynch on board to do the first batch of ads. Anyway, from the top...

The Third Place was originally a concept Sociological Scientists came up with. The theory is that historically humans only really had two main areas for social interaction and meaningful progressions in their lives, be they in relationships or knowledge etc. These places were at work and at home. However, there was a growing tread for hobbies and other activities starting around the Victorian era when two-day weekends became common and modern conveniences began to make life easier for us. The Third Place is easiest to define in modern times - it's places like bars or gyms were people went between home and work. Sort of a place to unwind, but still further ones self as a human .

Other academic people started picking up on this - notably economists. Anyway, sooner or later in had grown into pop culture America. People were being armchair psychologists watch Friends and talking about how Central Perk was their Third Place and using it as an excuse for more "Mental Health" days off work. Lazy buggers.

This is originally how the campaign started internally with Sony - they wanted the PS2 to become another Third Place. It was sort of trendy and suited the PS2's image perfectly - if the PlayStation was the clubbing, pill popping, roller coaster ride, the PS2 was it's older brother who was more for unwinding 20/30 something types who still could let their hair down on Fridays. In fact, one of the most public displays of this is in an early Edge interview where someone from Sony whose name escapes me talked of the Third Place Campaign with its old meaning. This was around the time they nabbed David Lynch to do the ads and everything changed.

You see, while the Third Place in the original sense in a sit back and think sort of away, it doesn't translate into a short, snappy 30-second commercial or have an obvious static visuals for a print advert. Also, as I said earlier, while it works well for the more cranial. Mature customers, a lot of Sony's market segment was/is still the young, up-for-it clubbing demographic. There's a huge risk that if they went for the original meaning Microsoft with the tragically hip Jay Allard would come in and steal these guys away.

So, Sony raped years of academic research and just changed what the phrase means. I'd also bet Mr Lynch himself had a lot to do with this.

The campaign as it is relates to a place between reality and imagination. The idea being that the PS2 is so real it can blend fiction with the real world around you. *Yawn* a potentially interesting campaign descended into the farce, biggest problem being they don't show games and are totally forgettable in the important sense - that being that while you remember the ad you don't connect it to Sony. The causal viewer is to busy trying to figure out whatís going on to bother about the totally unconnected product. Take for example the Mini ads ñ theyíre rather surreal, but the product is the main player. Sony donít really connect the product to the body of the ads, you could have the Sony ad without the PS2, but you canít have the Mini ad without the Mini ñ or in other words, if you take the PS2 out of their ads it is still a coherent 30 seconds of media as it is just a card at the end and a name mentioned in the voice over ñ you canít take the Mini out of its ads as it becomes a character. Okay, everyone here connects the PS with the Third Place ads, but weíre different as we are "in the know", but we're not the people they are trying to get anyway, console are sold to us through stuff like magazine interviews and good games (shock horror).

Remember, Sony have messed up campaigns before - the Campaign Against PlayStation ones has gone down in Rubbish Video gaming History along with Zelda's "Don't Fight Like a Girl" one.

Here's hoping they ditch it sooner rather than later and get back to showing some game footage - though some are arguing that's what they are trying to avoid, early on at least. They built the hype up so much that when people see the real thing in action it's a disappointment - but I wouldn't subscribe to that theory.

So I think that's a rather in-depth description of the Third Place ads then - hope it's cleared it up for you :)
Wed 24/10/01 at 23:07
Regular
and the pokemon games dont forget them
Wed 24/10/01 at 23:07
Regular
Photo-Genetic wrote:
> What was the point diving into the blood stained sea knowing that there is no
> land near?

the blood was to attract sharks.what has there being no land anywhere near got to do with it?
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:30
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> It's a damn good advertising strategy if you ask me. Look at us all talking
> about it wondering what it's all about, that's what Sony want, they want you to
> be confused so it sticks in your head.

Especially when you consider nintendos near enough non-existent advertising campaign, other than a few ads for GBA!!!
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:20
Regular
It's a damn good advertising strategy if you ask me. Look at us all talking about it wondering what it's all about, that's what Sony want, they want you to be confused so it sticks in your head.
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:11
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Edgy wrote:
> No! No! No!

There's a hidden message contained in them.

Ask anyone with a
> strong Irish accent!

Ok then. Ask me. Im Irish with a strong Irish accent.
Let me tell you, the mean damn all to me.
They are stupid and silly.
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:09
Regular
Mystique wrote:
MY ROCKET IS MADE FROM PURE CARBON AND SMASHES THROUGH PLANETS!!"

I bet it is
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:06
Mystique wrote:

sony sent out "hand
> written" letters to everyone who registed their PS2 with a "ripped
> out" page from a PS2 mag it was telling you about the F1 2001 competition
> sony was running at the time.. Genius i tell you Genius

Whatever. Too intellectual for the bog-standard human to think about during an advert, I reckon. And no, that doesn't include me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.