GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Gospel of Judas"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/04/07 at 05:03
Regular
I just watched a documentary on the Gospel of Judas - an old religious document found recently, an equivalent of one of the 4 'main' gospels (Mark, Luke, John and Steve).

It turns out there used to be around 30 different gospels, and lots of different sects of christianity, primarily following different gospels.

At some point some guy wanted to consilidate all the sects decided to put 4 of the gospels into the bible and brush off all the others.

On the documentary there was a christian minister supporting the status quo - that the Gospel of Judas and all the others didn't matter.

His argument was 'It's a matter of faith. The ones in the bible count, and the others don't. No reason, just faith.'

Oh my god, it's so ridiculous. If you have a think about it, and decide your main 4 are the only ones which genuinely represent the word of god, fine. If you look at how the bible was put together, and come to the judgement that there was some divine intervention making it all valid, so be it.
I may not agree with the conclusions, which is fine. All I'm looking for is actual reasons they believe what they want to believe. Base it on an intangible faith in a god if you will - but let the faith in god, not the faith in everything you've been taught by flawed men.

The argument is essentially 'I've invested a lot of time in believing the bible, if I admit to myself I might have been wrong then my whole faith is invalid'.

To blindly refuse even to consider what the argument is, to just mentally shut up shop and stick your head in the sand, without even listening to the argument or trying to work out what your actual sense faith in god directs you to believe, in the name of fear of truth or change or being wrong - your opinions just become so worthless.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all christians. But the ones it does apply to.. it's repulsive negligence.
Mon 09/04/07 at 16:16
Regular
"lets go back"
It doesnt have the same flow as your average childrens book.
Mon 09/04/07 at 15:55
Regular
Wouldn't it be funny if the Bible was like a childrens book or something?
Mon 09/04/07 at 15:43
Regular
"lets go back"
The Gnostic gospels were not included in the Bible because they were thought to be false. The gospels that are in the bible are actual eye witness accounts of the life of Jesus but the Gnostic gospels were written around the 3rd and 4th century, hundreds of years later. The bible was only compiled to stop confusion amongst people who may possibly get hold of these false texts. The Church decided to compile all of the genuine scriptures into one whole book (ie The Bible) so that the everyday man would know which texts were real and which were fake.
Mon 09/04/07 at 13:04
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> To blindly refuse even to consider what the argument is, to just
> mentally shut up shop and stick your head in the sand

That's actually quite a good definition of religious faith.

I can understand where the minister is coming from, though. I mean, he doesn't want to question the ramifications of faith too deeply because that leads to the unavoidable: either seeing through faith, or arriving at the comprehension that true spirituality has no use of attachment to fixed beliefs.
Mon 09/04/07 at 11:30
Regular
Yeah, that's pretty much why I dropped the Christian faith about five years back. And to think I was being pressurised into being confirmed O_o
Mon 09/04/07 at 11:28
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I saw something not dissimilar to this quite some time ago, maybe it was the same programme. There were also mentions of "Gnostic" texts which were banned, as they encouraged threee thinking about Jesus and so on.

The church is rather proctective about such matters, believing in limbo and then considering not consisdering it a legitimate belief any more, or actually inventing the idea of "Immaculate Conception" several centuries after such an event supposedly occurred.

I imagine such texts must open a few new perspectives, though I can imagine Benedict and chums not being happy about such knowledge becoming larelgy publicised, as it would certainly undermine their authority and so on.

I'd have a leaf through them, but only if there was anything truly explosive. Which is probably unlikely.
Mon 09/04/07 at 05:03
Regular
I just watched a documentary on the Gospel of Judas - an old religious document found recently, an equivalent of one of the 4 'main' gospels (Mark, Luke, John and Steve).

It turns out there used to be around 30 different gospels, and lots of different sects of christianity, primarily following different gospels.

At some point some guy wanted to consilidate all the sects decided to put 4 of the gospels into the bible and brush off all the others.

On the documentary there was a christian minister supporting the status quo - that the Gospel of Judas and all the others didn't matter.

His argument was 'It's a matter of faith. The ones in the bible count, and the others don't. No reason, just faith.'

Oh my god, it's so ridiculous. If you have a think about it, and decide your main 4 are the only ones which genuinely represent the word of god, fine. If you look at how the bible was put together, and come to the judgement that there was some divine intervention making it all valid, so be it.
I may not agree with the conclusions, which is fine. All I'm looking for is actual reasons they believe what they want to believe. Base it on an intangible faith in a god if you will - but let the faith in god, not the faith in everything you've been taught by flawed men.

The argument is essentially 'I've invested a lot of time in believing the bible, if I admit to myself I might have been wrong then my whole faith is invalid'.

To blindly refuse even to consider what the argument is, to just mentally shut up shop and stick your head in the sand, without even listening to the argument or trying to work out what your actual sense faith in god directs you to believe, in the name of fear of truth or change or being wrong - your opinions just become so worthless.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all christians. But the ones it does apply to.. it's repulsive negligence.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.