GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] FIFA 10"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'FIFA 10'.
Mon 10/05/10 at 02:33
Regular
"How Ironic"
Having been a life long fan of the FIFA series, I always anticipate the annual release of the game every year. FIFA games usually deliver to their audience, by delivering a game that has better graphics, better atmosphere and a better gameplay engine to its predecessors. Sadly, FIFA 10 came along and broke, for me, the10 consecutive years of fantastic football simulation that I had enjoyed on the PS1, PS2 and Xbox 360.

After playing my first next-gen football title, FIFA 09, on the Xbox 360 last year, I couldn’t believe how much the game had developed. Players were no longer restricted to the eight directions of ’99, or could slide tackle the keeper whenever they felt like it. The game became a simulation, something that was meant to feel real rather than something you play. After playing 09 for hours on hours, I could only dream about the potential of FIFA 10. There was so much that could be done. EA also realised how far football simulation could be taken. So what was one of my all time favourite games became a realistically boring, slow and impossible simulation.

It’s the first time you’ll have heard a reviewer say this, but FIFA 10 is just too realistic. The new physics engine is supposed to replicate real football, in terms of player movement, ball movement and physics, which it does, which is why I hate it. No longer is passing a simple button, or shooting for that matter. Your pass will go miles off or your shot will be in row Z if you’re just a millimetre off target with the analogue stick. Players fall over with the slightest of contact, when the 11 men of ’99 used to be able to take flying kicks to the face before scoring a brilliant goal. The modern game of football has turned into something horrible, where players fall over for anything, money controls who wins and referees make horrendous decisions. So my plea to EA; don’t try and make the game anymore similar to the modern game, because it’s horrible to watch, let alone play.

I’m not saying that the game shouldn’t be developed, it should, but as something that’s fun to play rather than extremely realistic. Some of the best games stick to the basics, and stick to their strong points. One part of the game that could be greatly improved, which I wrote about in my very first review (FIFA 09) was the commentary. A year on, and the commentators are still ridiculously aweful. Goals are being celebrated, while 2 old men talk about the new Wembley stadium, which is not new anymore, so the reference doesn’t work. The amount of commentary you hear over and over again is ludicrous. You’ll have Andy Gray telling you about his old footballing days every match. To be honest Mr Gray, I don’t give one, you should really be talking about my fantastic goal.

My biggest gripe with this game is the referee. I’ve already talked about how easy players go down. Well the referee will give a freekick for just about anything, so much so that the only way to really get the ball back is to let the other team score and keep possession from kick off. If the computer gets a freekick anywhere between 18-30 yards, you might as well take the ball to the centre spot, because they’re going to score, and the worst thing is, you can’t stop them. The wall is about as useful as David Beckham’s hairstyle.

So, a new physics engine, which is realistic, but horrible for a game; a referee who has been bribed by your Xbox 360/PS3 and the same old farts from the previous games. I think you can guess my verdict.

FIFA, in my opinion, has the football gaming market shut off now. PES is never going to catch up with it, and they are the only other major competitors. So EA probably won’t give a thought to what the fans want. I can only hope they take a step back with FIFA 11.

6/10
Thu 13/05/10 at 16:24
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well with the premiership, you usually need the very last game to decide a winner, because the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, Man city and previously Liverpool have challenged Man Utd and Chelsea. Celtic and Rangers usually have a healthy lead above the rest of the pack, even early on.
Thu 13/05/10 at 16:15
Regular
"And in last place.."
Sonic Chris wrote:
> I have dabbled in the SPL on FIFA 09. I don't particularly like
> the SPL, because of the sheer dominance of 2 teams

You could break that dominance. Either of the Edinburgh teams or Dundee U would be a good choice.

Is it not a little harsh now to fault the SPL for it's 2 team dominance? It's been quite some time since someone outside of Man U and Chelsea won the premiership.

Once Rangers have their summer clearout and don't sign anyone else you will see the 2 team dominance change to 1 team. That will make it even more exciting!
Thu 13/05/10 at 15:02
Regular
"How Ironic"
I have dabbled in the SPL on FIFA 09. I don't particularly like the SPL, because of the sheer dominance of 2 teams (I don't think I have to name them; Rangers and Hearts of course! ;D) Think I'll go as one of the low English teams.

A PE teacher from on school is on the football manager games. Most people in our school buy him for their team. He gets sent off loads though.
Thu 13/05/10 at 09:44
Regular
"And in last place.."
I recommend the SPL, technically a lower league from what you are playing. My only recommendation from the 12 teams would be Rangers though but mute the commentary, you don't want to listen to Andy Gray tell you about his time at Rangers every single game you play. I'm in my 2nd season and I know it word for word now.
Wed 12/05/10 at 22:06
Regular
"How Ironic"
I've never really dabbled in the lower league side of manager mode. Last time I tried on 09, despite having a level 10 fitness coach, my side were just knackered all of the time. Might give it another go. Any team suggestion?
Wed 12/05/10 at 14:29
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
dav2612 wrote:
> An interesting move for Mr Whittaker, good player (in SPL
> standards) though.

I still had my right-back from League 2 who needed replacing (3 successive promotions) and he was the best my meagre wage budget could stretch to!
Wed 12/05/10 at 09:33
Regular
"And in last place.."
Butch wrote:
> More high profile than me, as Morecambe, nabbing Steven
> Whittaker from you to play as my right-back?

An interesting move for Mr Whittaker, good player (in SPL standards) though.

I'd like the option to remove the board. After winning the cup that places the champions league winners against the europa league winners they claimed it was too early to pass comment. After beating Man U in the group stage of the champions league they said the same... a little bit of encouragement would be nice.
Tue 11/05/10 at 19:52
Regular
"How Ironic"
I like lower level football, because players who are usually considered decent become superstars to your team!

Good thing with Atletico is that they have alot of money invested in few players. So my plan was to sell these few players (namely Aguero), get a decent budget, and buy the young players with the best potential in the game. Here's my 'Shopping List', with the bold players being ones that are in my squad.

GK-Fiorillo
RCB-Rafael
CB-Pique
LCB-Richards
RM-Messi
CM-Anderson
CM-Pjanic
LM-Holtby
RF-Rooney
CF-Pato
LF-Vela

The 2 most expensive (Rooney and Messi) I've still to buy. I've upped my negotiator quite abit, and my coaches are all on level 10 to help these little fellas grow. Hopefully I'll win enough and get enough money to buy these 2 in the near future before they become too expensive. As it is, I've managed to hold onto Forlan. There's £16 mil in Forlan, and he's 30 odd, so I need to get rid of him by at latest the end of the next season, before he gets too old.
Tue 11/05/10 at 18:51
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
dav2612 wrote:
> My highest profile signing was bringing
> Carlos Cuellar back to Ibrox.

More high profile than me, as Morecambe, nabbing Steven Whittaker from you to play as my right-back? Or my audacious signing of Daniel de Ridder, from Wigan, to play in front of him down the right?
Tue 11/05/10 at 16:59
Regular
dav2612 wrote:
> My highest profile signing was bringing
> Carlos Cuellar back to Ibrox.

Complete with epic beard?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.