GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] FIFA 10"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'FIFA 10'.
Mon 10/05/10 at 02:33
Regular
"How Ironic"
Having been a life long fan of the FIFA series, I always anticipate the annual release of the game every year. FIFA games usually deliver to their audience, by delivering a game that has better graphics, better atmosphere and a better gameplay engine to its predecessors. Sadly, FIFA 10 came along and broke, for me, the10 consecutive years of fantastic football simulation that I had enjoyed on the PS1, PS2 and Xbox 360.

After playing my first next-gen football title, FIFA 09, on the Xbox 360 last year, I couldn’t believe how much the game had developed. Players were no longer restricted to the eight directions of ’99, or could slide tackle the keeper whenever they felt like it. The game became a simulation, something that was meant to feel real rather than something you play. After playing 09 for hours on hours, I could only dream about the potential of FIFA 10. There was so much that could be done. EA also realised how far football simulation could be taken. So what was one of my all time favourite games became a realistically boring, slow and impossible simulation.

It’s the first time you’ll have heard a reviewer say this, but FIFA 10 is just too realistic. The new physics engine is supposed to replicate real football, in terms of player movement, ball movement and physics, which it does, which is why I hate it. No longer is passing a simple button, or shooting for that matter. Your pass will go miles off or your shot will be in row Z if you’re just a millimetre off target with the analogue stick. Players fall over with the slightest of contact, when the 11 men of ’99 used to be able to take flying kicks to the face before scoring a brilliant goal. The modern game of football has turned into something horrible, where players fall over for anything, money controls who wins and referees make horrendous decisions. So my plea to EA; don’t try and make the game anymore similar to the modern game, because it’s horrible to watch, let alone play.

I’m not saying that the game shouldn’t be developed, it should, but as something that’s fun to play rather than extremely realistic. Some of the best games stick to the basics, and stick to their strong points. One part of the game that could be greatly improved, which I wrote about in my very first review (FIFA 09) was the commentary. A year on, and the commentators are still ridiculously aweful. Goals are being celebrated, while 2 old men talk about the new Wembley stadium, which is not new anymore, so the reference doesn’t work. The amount of commentary you hear over and over again is ludicrous. You’ll have Andy Gray telling you about his old footballing days every match. To be honest Mr Gray, I don’t give one, you should really be talking about my fantastic goal.

My biggest gripe with this game is the referee. I’ve already talked about how easy players go down. Well the referee will give a freekick for just about anything, so much so that the only way to really get the ball back is to let the other team score and keep possession from kick off. If the computer gets a freekick anywhere between 18-30 yards, you might as well take the ball to the centre spot, because they’re going to score, and the worst thing is, you can’t stop them. The wall is about as useful as David Beckham’s hairstyle.

So, a new physics engine, which is realistic, but horrible for a game; a referee who has been bribed by your Xbox 360/PS3 and the same old farts from the previous games. I think you can guess my verdict.

FIFA, in my opinion, has the football gaming market shut off now. PES is never going to catch up with it, and they are the only other major competitors. So EA probably won’t give a thought to what the fans want. I can only hope they take a step back with FIFA 11.

6/10
Mon 10/05/10 at 02:33
Regular
"How Ironic"
Having been a life long fan of the FIFA series, I always anticipate the annual release of the game every year. FIFA games usually deliver to their audience, by delivering a game that has better graphics, better atmosphere and a better gameplay engine to its predecessors. Sadly, FIFA 10 came along and broke, for me, the10 consecutive years of fantastic football simulation that I had enjoyed on the PS1, PS2 and Xbox 360.

After playing my first next-gen football title, FIFA 09, on the Xbox 360 last year, I couldn’t believe how much the game had developed. Players were no longer restricted to the eight directions of ’99, or could slide tackle the keeper whenever they felt like it. The game became a simulation, something that was meant to feel real rather than something you play. After playing 09 for hours on hours, I could only dream about the potential of FIFA 10. There was so much that could be done. EA also realised how far football simulation could be taken. So what was one of my all time favourite games became a realistically boring, slow and impossible simulation.

It’s the first time you’ll have heard a reviewer say this, but FIFA 10 is just too realistic. The new physics engine is supposed to replicate real football, in terms of player movement, ball movement and physics, which it does, which is why I hate it. No longer is passing a simple button, or shooting for that matter. Your pass will go miles off or your shot will be in row Z if you’re just a millimetre off target with the analogue stick. Players fall over with the slightest of contact, when the 11 men of ’99 used to be able to take flying kicks to the face before scoring a brilliant goal. The modern game of football has turned into something horrible, where players fall over for anything, money controls who wins and referees make horrendous decisions. So my plea to EA; don’t try and make the game anymore similar to the modern game, because it’s horrible to watch, let alone play.

I’m not saying that the game shouldn’t be developed, it should, but as something that’s fun to play rather than extremely realistic. Some of the best games stick to the basics, and stick to their strong points. One part of the game that could be greatly improved, which I wrote about in my very first review (FIFA 09) was the commentary. A year on, and the commentators are still ridiculously aweful. Goals are being celebrated, while 2 old men talk about the new Wembley stadium, which is not new anymore, so the reference doesn’t work. The amount of commentary you hear over and over again is ludicrous. You’ll have Andy Gray telling you about his old footballing days every match. To be honest Mr Gray, I don’t give one, you should really be talking about my fantastic goal.

My biggest gripe with this game is the referee. I’ve already talked about how easy players go down. Well the referee will give a freekick for just about anything, so much so that the only way to really get the ball back is to let the other team score and keep possession from kick off. If the computer gets a freekick anywhere between 18-30 yards, you might as well take the ball to the centre spot, because they’re going to score, and the worst thing is, you can’t stop them. The wall is about as useful as David Beckham’s hairstyle.

So, a new physics engine, which is realistic, but horrible for a game; a referee who has been bribed by your Xbox 360/PS3 and the same old farts from the previous games. I think you can guess my verdict.

FIFA, in my opinion, has the football gaming market shut off now. PES is never going to catch up with it, and they are the only other major competitors. So EA probably won’t give a thought to what the fans want. I can only hope they take a step back with FIFA 11.

6/10
Mon 10/05/10 at 19:12
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
So, essentially, you dislike a football simulation game for being too 'football simulationally?' (Yes I made up that word for the purpose of that sentence).

Personally I have enjoyed FIFA over PES for the past 2 or 3 versions for that very reason. Whilst PES has it's finer points and has done things better in the past, FIFA responded, incorporated and even bettered these the year after. As such, PES has fallen (in my opinion) some way behind.

I suppose your views on this really depends on your view on the beautiful game itself. I much prefer 'real' football and all its intricacies. I can think of nothing better than going to a game and watching my team (though any live football is good in my books) and have spent (literally) weeks playing Football Manager finely tuning my formations and squads around a certain ideology. Whilst FIFA isn't exactly (or nearly) on this level it does a damn good job of simulating the on-pitch game I love.

For me, PES feels too 'arcady', evidenced by the fact it is easy to 'pick up and play' which has forced my interest to wane somewhat. This will have something to do with the series' beginnings, no doubt.

It's a good review though, although I think you may very well be in the minority on this one mate!

Also, if you don't want to referee blowing for fouls, stop kicking the opposition :)
Mon 10/05/10 at 19:20
Regular
"How Ironic"
Yeh, I had a feeling I would be! It's the first FIFA that has made me annoyed, what with the game stopping every second for a stupid referee's decision. And it does sound stupid saying a game is aweful because it's too realistic, but I can't think of any other way to put it. The amount of effort you have to put in just to get a decent cross in or a good shot, I just can't play it for too long, or I get cranky :P
Tue 11/05/10 at 09:09
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I'll have to agree with you about the referee, sometimes. I've had, and witnessed, some ridiculous decisions. A penalty and a red card for a tackle which not only got the ball (and 100% of the ball), but didn't even touch the man (didn't even make him stumble, never mind go over). This was in the 5th minute. In an 8 minute per half 2 vs. 2 multiplayer match.

However, *my* biggest gripe is what seems to be a morale system. Far too often, things seem to go the winning side's way. This, again, is near infuriating when playing multiplayer. An example of this is when I took a 1-0 lead at "home" in a 4-player league. Tottenham vs. Man City. Suddenly, the match was no longer tight, all loose balls, passes (from both teams) were going to me. A Shay Given who had been amazing throughout the tournament and for the main period of the match...crumbled. A 3-0 lead that was taken into half time quickly turned into 7-0.

The opposite had happened just two games earlier, as I folded to a 6-1 mauling at the hands of Chelsea (away, might I add).
Tue 11/05/10 at 09:23
Regular
"And in last place.."
FIFA 10 has taken me by surprise. I tend to get bored of football games to quickly but decided to make FIFA 10 the first football game I've bought since Road To World Cup 98 (back in the days when my nation was capable of going to a world cup). I'm still playing FIFA 10 and I really enjoy it. I would agree with some of what you say, my crosses are pointless, my corners are pointless but I can ping my passes about with relative ease.

My main grip would be the power bar for shooting. Anything other than a tap when you are near the box and it's heading into orbit.

I hate it online though but that's because my players seem to have concrete boots and are incapable of holding onto the ball or taking it past an opponent. It turns into a rushed one touch passing game for me with the end result being around 5 nil.
Tue 11/05/10 at 12:38
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
dav2612 wrote:
> I hate it online though but that's because my players seem to
> have concrete boots and are incapable of holding onto the ball or
> taking it past an opponent. It turns into a rushed one touch
> passing game for me with the end result being around 5 nil.

In the few games I have played on-line I've found a quick passing game to be the best tactic. A better one is to stick your quickest player out wide and run rings around the defence :)
Tue 11/05/10 at 13:03
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I really need to play it to find out what I think of it. That's if TescDVD realise that a game that on top of the priority list is more important than a DVD at the very bottom of the list...
Tue 11/05/10 at 13:07
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Butch wrote:
> dav2612 wrote:
> I hate it online though but that's because my players seem to
> have concrete boots and are incapable of holding onto the ball
> or
> taking it past an opponent. It turns into a rushed one touch
> passing game for me with the end result being around 5 nil.
>
> In the few games I have played on-line I've found a quick
> passing game to be the best tactic. A better one is to stick your
> quickest player out wide and run rings around the defence :)

Aaron Lennon?
Tue 11/05/10 at 13:16
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
jubbamhc wrote:
> Aaron Lennon?

Got it in one.
Tue 11/05/10 at 13:45
Regular
"THFC"
I really enjoyed FIFA 10, and i have to say they have improved South Africa 2010 aswell, plays a bit better and Managers are seen, and they look really good. Capello looks as good as you could wish really!

Plus online World Cup is loads of fun! I would have said FIFA 10 was the best (well my favourite) football game i have played, South Africa is probably better, but just not as many teams of course

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.