GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chatroom users 'egged on father to kill himself live on webcam'"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/03/07 at 16:49
Regular
Click

I'm reading about it in the newspaper aswell. There were 50 people at the time, here are some posts.

'F###ing do it, get on with it, get it round your neck. For F###'s sake, he can't even do this properly.'

'Oh my God, this is serious. Someone call the police.'

'His face is turning red.'

'His face is turning purple. This guy is dead'

'OMG'

'Is this real?'
Sat 24/03/07 at 16:49
Regular
Click

I'm reading about it in the newspaper aswell. There were 50 people at the time, here are some posts.

'F###ing do it, get on with it, get it round your neck. For F###'s sake, he can't even do this properly.'

'Oh my God, this is serious. Someone call the police.'

'His face is turning red.'

'His face is turning purple. This guy is dead'

'OMG'

'Is this real?'
Sat 24/03/07 at 16:56
Regular
I swear 'OMG' doesn't occur anywhere in that...

Yeah, anyway.. signing into an 'insult chatroom' sounds to me as if he was trying to pluck up the courage to do it, knowing if his self-esteem was lowered further he could commit suicide.

I honestly can't believe that people would see it and still be egging him on. However, the implications towards the forum users being majorly responsible is perhaps a little harsh.

Still. It's the first. Hopefully the last, too
Sat 24/03/07 at 16:59
Regular
Quotes are frmo the newspaper. Apparently there was a boy in America who committed suicide in a chatroom, not sure if it was live on webcam and it wasnt as dramatic as hanging but still some tried to stop him while others wanted him to do it. =(
Sat 24/03/07 at 17:03
Regular
I've always wondered if this kind of thing had happened before, I'm suprised it hasn't.
Sat 24/03/07 at 17:28
Regular
Can't imagine what sort of sad gets log onto forums to have a go at each other in insult forums.

It's easy to see how it could have happened though, and I'm also surprised it hasn't happened before. I don't think the people telling him to do it were particularly malicious, they probably thought he was just craving attention and were calling his bluff. But that's why they say that any suicide threats should be taken seriously, regardless of who it is or what the situation is.

Must have been shocking for those witnessing it. Shame, from what I read there he seemed a decent person who just went off the rails a bit. As someone said before ... going on a forum like that when he was already deeply depressed wasn't going to help any.
Sat 24/03/07 at 17:32
Regular
If I wanted to commit suicide I think I would find it quite difficult to hang myself, I'd probably end up overdosing.
Sat 24/03/07 at 17:54
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Such stories just encourage my belief that more should be done to make people take responsibility for their actions on the internet.
I always wondered if people who encourage others to do such things (like the idiots shouting jump!) are breaking any sort of law. I know theres laws against coercion but doesnt seem to apply in these cases.
Sat 24/03/07 at 18:03
Regular
It's dangerous territory to start bringing out laws about such things. What I dislike about our society is we're moving more and more towards a state where nobody is responsible for their own actions, there's always someone to blame it seems.

Though I wouldn't look fondly upon someone who co-erced someone else into committing suicide, the point is the choice ultimately lies with the person who goes through with it. And it is a lesson the west needs to re-learn - you can't always blame someone else.

Yes I feel sorry for him, but to start blaming the people who egged him on is wrong in my opinion. They may/may not be nasty people, but they are NOT criminals ...
Sat 24/03/07 at 18:05
Regular
That would be like saying the people who brainwash suicide bombers are innocent too.
Sat 24/03/07 at 18:09
Regular
I really don't see how you're supposed to enforce a law about anything like that. So people are brainwashed ... yes they are ... WILLINGLY. Nobody puts a gun to their head and tells them to strap bombs to themselves. They choose to follow these beliefs, the ultimate decision to go through with it is theirs.

If you're going to start that conversation, you may as well say all the churches, mosques, buddhist temples etc in the world are guilty of brainwashing.

People have to take responsibility for their own actions and stop playing the victim. No-one physically forced that man to kill himself.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.