GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Come and get your copied PS2 games......"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/10/01 at 09:15
Regular
How many of you are reading this right now only to discover that I'm not here to sell or tell you about PS2 copied games?

Feeling a little cheated perhaps?
Have I misled you into thinking that you were going to get the thing you were actually looking for?

Well that's exactly how you may end up feeling if you get into the world of copied games.
Doesn't matter which format, PSone, Dreamcast or the current Holy Grail - PS2.

I've seen loads of copied games in my time (must be mixing with the wrong people) and most have been highly disappointing.

Most PSone games worked fine as they fitted onto an ordinary CD-rom disc but most Dreamcast titles couldn't physically fit on to a disc due to capacity differences.

This meant that you could lose video sequences, music pieces and even more. I remember seeing Soul Calibur and the copy was pointless. The in-fight music was choppy and video clips were ruined.

You're getting an inferior product for your money. Sure, it may only cost you a fiver for the disc and a photocopied sleeve but you're never going to get the same as the real thing.

No proper manual, no nice case and a dull looking sleeve.

Then there's the hardware issue. On the DC you could easily get games working via a boot disc and some games didn't even need that.

On others though you need to open your console and fit a chip.
Now if you're happy with that then go for it. If you damage the insides though forget any comeback. Your console is null and void and the only way you'll get a new one is by buying another.

OK so the PS2 is now down to £199 but for that you could buy at least 5 new games (or more if you're shopping on SR!!).

Let's not forget the industry either - perhaps the games prices are a little high but they're not going to get any lower if people are selling copied games thus preventing official sales.

Go ahead, get your copied games and enjoy them but you won't get the same as those who save, borrow and beg to get the genuine article.

Oh and if you wreck your PS2 by trying to save £35 on a copied game don't come crying to me - you've been warned.

MR.COATES
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:17
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Whens that coming out??That was one of the best manager games ever!!
Fri 05/10/01 at 16:24
Regular
LMA 2001. I claimed that 4 my gameaday prize. Looks great
Fri 05/10/01 at 16:21
Regular
"  "
It's not actually illegal to copy games as long as you own or owned a copy of the game. And it's not illegal to buy the copied games it's just illegal to sell. Thats it. It's only illegal if you sell them. With copied games you can buy, borrow off blockbuster and copy it, make lots of copies of games you already own and for all the authorities care you can stick it up your bum.
And another thing. It's pretty impossible to copy a game and get it to work after taking out fmv's because the game is programmed to run the fmv's and if it can't find the fmv it will crash. It can be done but you need to hack the games programming and change it all.
If no quality is lost then surely it means people will be tempted to buy the games, and if producers don't do anything about then all i can say is they deserve it. That's a bit harsh you may say. But ask your mates and see how many of them have got a copy of LMA 2001. I bet you can hardly find anyone. Thats because Codies spent the time making sure their game was hard to crack. And they were rewarded for it. People who would normally rent and copy the game where forced to buy it instead. LMA 2001 as far as i know could only be copied with a top spec writer that could read sub channel data. But they made it hard for piraters which all companies should try and do. There will always be a way around it but if the producers give piraters a challenge then their certanly getting somewhere.
Fri 05/10/01 at 15:53
blimeyoreilly wrote:
> Big Slow, your code is maybe too easy to crack.

I've had a chipped psx2 since
> day one.

It took 10 mins to attach the chip (cost £10 inc postage for a
> neo2 chip - they're now much much cheaper). The usb modchip has been available
> for quite a while too, and is based on th e neo2 chip so I've not changed my
> chip.

Since then, every game has cost 1-2 blank cds and a trip to
> Blockbuster. Ps2 games are easy to copy. I've detailed in a few posts in the
> past exactly how to duplicate cdrom and dvd games. The internet is a huge
> source of info on how to do this. It really is not hard.

As for the cosole
> itself, its still working perfectly, one year on from its 'big operation'. It
> hasn't exploded, hasnt stopped working, still plays dvds, originals, but has
> played many imports, and many backups.

I not really bothered about this post
> getting reported, and getting barred from the forum, its all a bit too
> juvenile.

ttfn

my cose is easy to crack? what u chatting bout?
Fri 05/10/01 at 09:56
If you're happy that's all that matters.

I wouldn't say no to a bargain but I'm not so bothered about saving some cash that I'm willing to take the risk of even opening my console which has the best part of a year left with guarantee.

Copy away, I'll be sticking with the originals.

I personally wouldn't report anyone - I'm just here to get my feelings across.

As my tagline says 'I'm not always right'.
Fri 05/10/01 at 00:52
Regular
yup,

it still requires a cable to the motherboard, and still requires a boot disc.

neo4 is better, without the need for a bootdisc, but has 20ish solder points to the motherboard
Fri 05/10/01 at 00:48
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I know there has been an extrenalchip but you still had to sold some wires.Thats why I didnt get it
Fri 05/10/01 at 00:41
Regular
Big Slow, your code is maybe too easy to crack.

I've had a chipped psx2 since day one.
As for the cosole itself, its still working perfectly, one year on from its 'big operation'. It hasn't exploded, hasnt stopped working, still plays dvds, originals, but has played many imports, and many backups.

I not really bothered about this post getting reported, and getting barred from the forum, its all a bit too juvenile.

ttfn
Thu 04/10/01 at 23:59
you dont know him but paul chips ps2's and sells special copied games 7 for £30. i suggest you dont buy them as i dont want him to make profit and carry on working at the richard roberts sewing factory.
Thu 04/10/01 at 23:28
Regular
Mitchno - audio cds aren't different.

Copying a a piece of copyright material is copyright theft. If its an audio cd, a pc cdrom, a playstation cd, a ps2 dvdrom, a dvd disc, a video, a piece of text from a book, etc, the list goes on. They are all 'copyable', just because some are easy to copy or you're familiar with the required methods doesn't make it ok.

Copying music cds, tapes and LP's has never been legal it steals money from the recording artists who made the music in the same way that copying games software steals money from developers.

You can't say one is ok to steal one format while another format isn't, thats hypocrisy.

Copying all of the formats above is very easy, the info required is readily available on the internet, but it isn't legal.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.