GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo beta leaked onto the net"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Tue 09/09/03 at 10:56
Regular
"relocated"
Quelle surprise, you can now download a beta version of PC Halo from the seedier corners of the internet. I honestly think that games companies do this sort of stuff on purpose.

Leak game. Assorted thieving geeks and internet fanboys (who wouldn't buy the game anyway) download game. Geeks play game. Geeks moan about bugs on web forums. Developers read geek moans, and fix bugs. Geeks start to love game. Geeks evangelise about game on web forums. Geeks tell friends how fantastic the game is. Normal people start telling other normal people that game is going to be greatest thing ever. Game gets released. Game storms the charts on a thunderous snowball of hype. Job done.
Tue 09/09/03 at 10:56
Regular
"relocated"
Quelle surprise, you can now download a beta version of PC Halo from the seedier corners of the internet. I honestly think that games companies do this sort of stuff on purpose.

Leak game. Assorted thieving geeks and internet fanboys (who wouldn't buy the game anyway) download game. Geeks play game. Geeks moan about bugs on web forums. Developers read geek moans, and fix bugs. Geeks start to love game. Geeks evangelise about game on web forums. Geeks tell friends how fantastic the game is. Normal people start telling other normal people that game is going to be greatest thing ever. Game gets released. Game storms the charts on a thunderous snowball of hype. Job done.
Tue 09/09/03 at 11:01
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
I doubt it. All it takes is a member of the development team to give it to someone else. It happens.

I've the E3 demo of Doom3 from someone who works in the industry, and can say that its the most bugged, unstable, glitchy piece of software I've ever came across, and not a game at all but a graphics demo. If this was leaked deliberately by ID, they would be doing no-one any favors. I've a geforce 5 fx, on a 1.8Ghz with 512Mb memory.

It runs like a three legged dog, in 640 x 480.

Still, its being worked on, optimised and tweaked, and I'm in no doubt its going to be a pretty cool game (although I'm more exited about HL2)
Tue 09/09/03 at 15:06
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Nice. Jedi Academy has been leaked twice now as well. Beta near the end of July and the proper Pre Gold near the end of August.
Tue 09/09/03 at 15:10
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
4 or 5 playable levels and 3 multi-player levels, no wonder its less than the size of a 650mb CD.
Tue 09/09/03 at 15:26
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I would be tempted to try an download it myself, but I dare not incase it contains a virus. I would like to try it though, especially sine the release has been put back to October, which is a bad move since Half-Life 2 is aiming for a Sept 30th release.
Tue 09/09/03 at 15:32
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Can anyone give me a file size? A quick look on most p2p networks reveal 'halo' ranging between 18 and 207 mb
Tue 09/09/03 at 15:36
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Can anyone give me a file size? A quick look on most p2p networks
> reveal 'halo' ranging between 18 and 207 mb

I'd say the 207 mb is far to small for a game like Halo. Its probably a gameplay video. 18 is just a joke.
Tue 09/09/03 at 16:04
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Just checked on another forum and the Beta is aparantly 464MB big.
Tue 09/09/03 at 16:22
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So everyone here is discussing the illegal download of leaked software?

Tsk tsk
Tue 09/09/03 at 16:23
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Must be quite a large demo, although a large proportion of that will be taken up by graphics.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.