GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Doom 3'.
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:15
Regular
CVG interviewing id CEO Todd Hollenshead:

'How about the Xbox version?

Hollenshead: We're literally in the early stages of getting the technology up and running on the Xbox. The Xbox is completely within the specs of what the target for Doom III technology is.

You'll be seeing a lot of unique textures that literally make the world just the way you might imagine if Hell really had erupted on a spacestation.

What about a PS2 version?

Hollenshead: Frankly, the PS2 couldn't do the math calculations for the geometry acceleration, real time shadows and light. GameCube is the same thing, no version planned.'

I hope that's enough to silence the moronic fanboys?
Sun 28/09/03 at 10:35
Regular
Memorandum! wrote:
> I can't stand playing FPS' with a control pad. It feels far too
> sluggish and unresponsive. Mouse and Keyboard all the way for me.

if im playing a game such as ut2k3, and i'm evens with the other person, and next frag wins, i'd prefer the manic mouse-aiming franticness with a minigun blasting out than taking an hour to successfully get an aim on a person. i'll bet you, even a noob could beat a pro joy-padder with a mouse on a game like this. you may recognise that bots on playstation, xbox or so on are MUCH slower and sluggish than on a PC game shooter, as this is to compensate for the pad that isn't designed for this kind of game. plus i find that being used to a keyboard and mouse for so long is the way it's meant to be. practise DOES make perfect - so i should be a clean-sheeter by now!
Sat 27/09/03 at 20:04
Regular
"8==="
beanz wrote:
>
> as i've said the auto aim is very subtle...but i've noticed it myself

I just hit things if I have then in the target/crosshair/circle. :S

I've never noticed it help me target anything.
Sat 27/09/03 at 20:02
Regular
"8==="
Pyonth wrote:
>
> It might be quicker, but more accurate? no way.

Personally I overshoot targets with a mouse. I might undershoot with a controller but that is easier to recover from than overshooting.
Sat 27/09/03 at 19:56
Regular
"accidental superher"
Hedfix wrote:
> beanz wrote:
>
> that's untrue...halo has a very subtle auto aim on...
>
> Can you get me a link to some valid proof? I haven't noticed any
> autoaim.

here we go:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halo/preview_6071682.html

but here's the chunk that supports my point:

"After watching Pitchford play through a couple of the more recognizable levels, like the Silent Cartographer, we were hard-pressed to detect any appreciable differences from the Xbox version, aside from the mouse and keyboard interface and the removal of aiming assistance."

as i've said the auto aim is very subtle...but i've noticed it myself
Sat 27/09/03 at 19:55
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Pyonth wrote:
> tigamilla wrote:
> NOTHING repeat NOTHING comes close to the accuracy offered by the
> mouse and Keyboard control
>
> It might be quicker, but more accurate? no way.

It is more accurate, think about it, the way you're able to pinpoint links when surfing the web and accurately hit icons when using windows programs etc...
Sat 27/09/03 at 19:53
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Hedfix wrote:
> tigamilla wrote:
> Bottom line though:
>
>
> I'd say controller wins on physically manoeuvering FPS characters.

Definately, you should see me run rings around people in TS2...(literally). Id much rather have a controller in my hands, but its harder to take precision shots using the control offered by my thumb as opposed to my whole hand when using a mouse.

After a good TS2 blast you should see me struggle to make that essential head shot in Hitman2.
Sat 27/09/03 at 19:53
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
tigamilla wrote:

It might be quicker, but more accurate? no way.
Sat 27/09/03 at 19:48
Regular
"8==="
tigamilla wrote:
> Bottom line though:
>

I'd say controller wins on physically manoeuvering FPS characters. I prefer the aiming of a controller as it feels more natural than sliding something across a desk.
Sat 27/09/03 at 19:45
Regular
"8==="
I find two analogue sticks more balanced.
Sat 27/09/03 at 19:44
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Bottom line though:

NOTHING repeat NOTHING comes close to the accuracy offered by the mouse and Keyboard control

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.