GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ati Radeon Fans"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 19:14
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
What are the differences between ati radeon and geforce 4 ti 128 mb graphics cards? and what is a PRO card all about? does it work faster?
CHEERS!!!!
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:42
Of course, there's no harm in waiting until after the games come out. I mean, the worst that can happen is that Doom 3, HL2 or whatever runs not quite up to your expectations; all you have to do then is order a top GFX card by next day delivery. A lost day playing isn't that bad.
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:40
Ok fair enough. Though it's worth noting that some games are slow at times no matter what spec you have, for example Sim City 4 when you have a metropolis with volcanoes erupting all over the place. Sometimes it's to do with the way it's coded, sometimes it's the hardware (and not necessarily the GFX card).
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:37
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Little Hobbo wrote:
> Pfft, you told me you had 120 Gb hard drive.
>
I challenge you to provide a link to a page on which I stated having a 120gig drive. Go on...

Icarus, I see what you're saying, but when I built this machine, I expected it to run anything without so much as breaking into a sweat. And while this is largely the case, there has been the odd occasion where it's struggled a little. I simply HAVE to run Doom3 at max settings! :D

But I'm such a tight git, and 130 nuggets is 130 nuggets!!
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:33
Little Hobbo wrote:
> Pfft, you told me you had 120 Gb hard drive.
>
> Anyway, although I am unsure of the future capabilities of our cards,
> I am just going to wait until the next few major games come out
> before making any rash decisions that I might later regret.

A wise consumer. My GeForce 3 is the only part of the computer I haven't upgraded yet, though that was only two years ago.
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:30
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Uncle Albert wrote:
> If only I knew what a dissertation project was!
>
> On a different matter - can someone make my mind up for me on the
> subject of video cards. I currently have an FX5600 256mb, which I'm
> slightly disappointed with and is definately the weak link in my
> system. So, my mate has offered me £50 for it, which would
> allow me to get a 9800 for £130. Do I go for it? Just how
> futureproof is this card? Will I be running Doom 3 at max settings
> with this card? The rest of my system is as follows:
>
> Athlon XP2800+ Barton
> 1024Mb Crucial PC2700 Ram
> 60gig Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

I think it could be a wise choice. I have the same system set up basically. XP2800 Barton, 1024mb 333 RAM, 2 x 120gig 7200rpm 8mb cache and a 9800 Pro 128mb. Easily ran Unreal 2 at full settings at 1600x1200. I dont know the exact performance difference between the Pro and none Pro, but I am sure you can find reviews that compare the 2 card together to see whether it is similar in performance.
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:27
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Pfft, you told me you had 120 Gb hard drive.

Anyway, although I am unsure of the future capabilities of our cards, I am just going to wait until the next few major games come out before making any rash decisions that I might later regret.
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:22
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
If only I knew what a dissertation project was!

On a different matter - can someone make my mind up for me on the subject of video cards. I currently have an FX5600 256mb, which I'm slightly disappointed with and is definately the weak link in my system. So, my mate has offered me £50 for it, which would allow me to get a 9800 for £130. Do I go for it? Just how futureproof is this card? Will I be running Doom 3 at max settings with this card? The rest of my system is as follows:

Athlon XP2800+ Barton
1024Mb Crucial PC2700 Ram
60gig Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

Could on peeps - my money is in your hands!
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:16
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Safedisc_V2 wrote:
> Sorry if I annoyed you Adrian, it wasn't intentional.

Its ok, I would probably do the same thing as you did anyways :). I suppose I should have looked at the facts and not just assumed from what I could remember. I do know the technical side of things as being a Computing student in the final year at Uni I think I should have learnt something, as well as me being interested in the field.

Maybe someone can help me think of a dissertation project for the computing field, so far i've come up with loads of ideas but none have the right aspect to make a good project.
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:13
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Safedisc_V2, you are a man my son. Peace indeed. :-)

(If only all the boards on this forum were the same!)
Thu 09/10/03 at 12:48
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Sorry to flame you as well, I don't like ganging up on people :O/

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.