GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Need Advice for LAN Gaming Club"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/10/03 at 21:03
Regular
Recently, the head of our school's games club has left to go on to University - leaving just myself and a couple of friends to run the thing. It's a 45 min (tops) club that runs twice a week.

Seeing as the majority of you seem to be in the knowledge on these things, I was wondering whether or not you could recommend some good LAN games for this situation. We already have Half-Life, Counter Strike and Unreal Tournament - but we want some variety. Any suggestions would be good, and I'd also appreciate any advice on licenses or the legalities of LAN gaming.

Cheers.
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:48
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> Warcraft 3 is tops.

Bah, you can do better than that cm.

Describe it.
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:48
Regular
Memorandum! wrote:
> What spec are the PCs?

I'm yet to find out exactly, but they can handle most games no problem. I presume they're quite beefy.
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:47
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> As for the licence thing, who is going to find out that you have
> installed the game on 30 computers?

Exactly what we pointed out to the school. But thus came the inevitable reply;

"If the worst case scenario is the school gets shut down, then it would be ridiculous to take such a chance. Run this legitimately or not at all."
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:40
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
What spec are the PCs?
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:35
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Warcraft 3 is tops.

As for the licence thing, who is going to find out that you have installed the game on 30 computers?
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:31
Regular
Borat, could you give us any more details?
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:31
Regular
Dunno, 16 or so people wreaking havoc in a living city sounds like a damn great idea to me.
Sat 11/10/03 at 19:15
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Never played it to be honest, but I don't reckon it's that great. Could be though.
Sat 11/10/03 at 18:56
Regular
Oh yes, funny man, hahaha, etc etc.

Really, what is GTA LAN like?
Sat 11/10/03 at 18:49
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Maverick42 wrote:
> GTA 2 has multiplayer LAN?
>
> How does that work?

Well they write a load of code that enables a LAN game to be set up, then you can play it over a LAN. Clever isn't it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.