GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Moulin Rouge - the verdict"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/09/01 at 15:28
Regular
Went to see this after my lady insisted I do, she claimed it was 'the best film she'd ever seen'. Hmm. Here's the lowdown:

Good bits:
The cast - McGregor, Kidman, Leguizamo and Broadbent are all fantastic
The visuals - aargh, my eyes are burning (still)
The songs - Nirvana, Queen, Bowie etc.
The director
Nicole Kidman's ta-ta's

Bad bits:
Liking it when it's clearly a girl's film
Watching it with someone who's seen it before
Someone kicked my chair, twice

Overall, I liked it, but that doesn't make me a girl.
Sat 15/09/01 at 18:56
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Bonus wrote:
> I like Romeo and Juliet, we got an afternoon off school to go see it
> with the English department. After studying the script in detail at
> higher, you appreciate it much more, and the modernisations visually
> to Shakespears classic metaphors worked brilliantly.

You are quite clearly a genius. My sister is doing art for her A-level and one of the pieces she is studying was dscribed by its artist as "an analysis of the metaphorical self in terms of the physical in the context of blah blah blah."

Polysyllabic words are all well and good if you use them sensibly. Ditto for complicated words. "Shakespears classic metaphors worked brilliantly"?????? Well Shakespeare has an 'e' at the end. Shakespeare's has an apostrophe. Classic metaphors. I'm sorry no comprende. If you are lloking to finish a post in an intellectual way please don't use a completely meaningless statement. I would never do such a thing, unless in a post-freudian state of neuroses.

oh the irony...

:-)
Sat 15/09/01 at 15:38
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
It was awful. I'm on work experience at the cinema at the moment so I got to watch it for free and it was pretty bad to say the least.

The midget guy made me laugh in particular since he plays a marine or navy seal in basically all films army/special forces related. He never appeared quite that small in his other films.

Anyway, I thought Ewan Mcgregor was quite good in it but they really ruined some of the songs and they just seemed to merge loads of songs in to one.

Roxanne was good though with McGregor singing over the top. I hear that every day.

:)
Thu 13/09/01 at 21:15
Regular
Mr.Snuggly wrote:

Someone kicked
> my chair, twice

my god...i think this calls for my angry mob
people get out your torches(the flamey ones)and
farmer rakes
Mon 10/09/01 at 19:05
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
In short, Moulin Rouge, quality. Smacks you in the face in a tad-too-pacey opening, McGregor makes a total mockery of the love story by being totally unable to act remotely sad making a farce of the “tragic” ending, and Leguizamo is just plain annoying.

That said, Kidman is totally amazing. For a start it is impossible not to fall in love with her character, an unbelievably important thing, considering her profession. Also, what other leading ladies would have worked for Equity minimum wags and made such a fool of themselves?

The dialogue is as zingy as they come (yes, I did make that word up, but I think you'll agree it describes it perfectly). Your just pulled into the screen as every word said not only makes sense, but is instantly familiar, quite brilliant. Add some to-die-for set pieces and you've got a pretty special film.

Please note: my views may seem strangely exaggerated as I watched AI on the same day. Both films I'd been looking forward to for ages, and only one of them is any good. Osment is simply breathtaking in AI, but more discussion on that when a few more have seen it. Word of warning though - DO NOT READ TOTAL FILM'S AI ARTICLE BEFORE WATCHING THE FILM. Without a word of warning they give away the ending about 200 words into the article. Fortunately I found this out after seeing the film otherwise I'd maybe have to hunt them down out of principle. Empire has the same information, but has a spoiler warning right before they give it away, which is how it should be done.
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Goatboy - did she take you to The Crucible as well?

Jeez! What a crock!
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:08
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> Went to see this after my lady insisted I do, she claimed it was
> 'the best film she'd ever seen'

Always a bad thing, I did that with Titanic, The Yards and Unbreakable.
When will I learn? I'll get some sugar anyway, so I don't need to sit through rubbish movies anymore.
It's not like I'm trying to bed her and impressing her with my sensitive side.
Anymore

Overall, I liked it, but that doesn't make me a
> girl.
Yes.
Yes it does.

I would rather dance naked in front of a pitbull than watch another of his movies.
I can’t stand Baz Lurhman.
Didn’t like Sunscreen, thought Romeo & Juliet was an abomination. A 3-toed mutant step-son of a movie.
But that’s because I’m allergic to Ladyboy DeCaprio.

So, Moulin Rouge.
I would go watch it but I’m not a big girl.
Or in need of some loving.
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:05
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> To many mincers mincing around the screen.

Good as the film was (well, the story), that comment summes it up for me.

lol!
Mon 10/09/01 at 15:45
Regular
"not dead"
Bonus wrote:
> Come on, your a Ninty ain't you, even Luigi was in romeo and Juliet,
> surely you liked it for that. :D

:D

It's not Romeo and Juliet I don't like, merely Baz's version of it.
Mon 10/09/01 at 15:43
Regular
Come on, your a Ninty ain't you, even Luigi was in romeo and Juliet, surely you liked it for that. :D
Mon 10/09/01 at 15:42
Regular
"not dead"
I remember what it was the bothered be. To many mincers mincing around the screen.

I don't like the way Baz makes the characters look, or act.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.