GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Torrent software?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/01/04 at 13:18
Regular
Since I'm going to be downloading the Far Cry demo tonight, I've heard one or two mentions of the ol' torrent software. I've had poor experiences with this method but I'm willing to give it another go.

Can you recommend me a good version that is both easy to use and works well. The past programs I've had have been quite pissy and retarded - download speeds of 1-2kbps - 15 max. Unacceptable.

So, what would you recommend then?
Fri 30/01/04 at 21:34
Regular
You've said to open the ports using the software but how do I open them using the software? If I click on 'prefs' it says 'Port Range From 6881 to 6999' and it still says I'm behind a firewall and I don't even have one, I'm not even using the windows firewall.
Thu 29/01/04 at 22:33
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Serious sounds like you need to open and forward ports. Fact is, if BT is set up right you will get good download speeds. Use a good site to find popular torrents and you'll have no problems; I average at 30-35k on a line connected a twentieth as broad as yours, but I know I have it set up properly.
Thu 29/01/04 at 09:48
Regular
This is a problem most people get no matter what speed your internet connection is, i am sitting on a 10meg line here and still only get about 8 - 10kbps, if you lower your upload rate then it should increase you download speed slightly but most of the time the speeds are low, you just have to leave it running all the time you are not using the internet on your system, i have been downloading a 3.5gig file now for nearly 2 weeks at home on my 600k line.

Colin
Tue 27/01/04 at 18:46
Regular
Yeah, suprnova is the best BT site around.
Tue 27/01/04 at 17:47
Regular
"have fun!!!!"
also just in case anyone is interested i use www.suprnova.org its probably the best BT site there is unless anyone else knows other wise let me now
Tue 27/01/04 at 17:42
Regular
"have fun!!!!"
i use burst client
http://prdownloads.source forge.net/burst/burst-rc5d-uau.exe?use_mirror=heanet

and have had no problems i get my maxim DL speed 99% of the time

if you use the link above you must delette the space in the middle of source forge
Sun 25/01/04 at 14:38
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
But those 79 people aren't going to be uploading to just you; and depending on whether your talking 79 trackers/seeders (I can't remember the proper term) or 79 downloaders, they might not even all have bits you want. And if it is 79 seeders, there'll probably be a couple of hundred downloaders.

If the download rate is low and you're uploading at full pelt, the problem is with you. You need to get the ports open and forwarded to the downloading PC otherwise the torret software can't operate properly. If you’ve got it set up right, a good rule of thumb is that you should be around 1:1 for downloads to uploads, maybe hitting a bit better on the downloads.
Sun 25/01/04 at 10:25
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
adrian wrote:
> Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> In that case, you'd think if the software was both correctly
> configured and well coded you ought to be downloading at your
> downstream limit.
>
> Depends on people uploads still.

Yeah, but 14 megabytes in 4 hours, I used to be able to do about 14 mb in one hour on my old 56k. If it only had a connection to a couple of people uploading at less than 1kb/s then that'd make sense, but to be connected to 79 people you'd be getting an average of somewhere around 0.01kb/s per person. That's not right on any connection.

Of course I don't actually use these torrent things so I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but is it possible it meant it'd found 79 people with the file and was present in a que system to each of these 79 people? If so, that meant it might only have been conencted to 1 or 2 people at any time. I know that's how EMule works.
Sat 24/01/04 at 23:34
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
While I would share the general view of just accepting the speed your getting: you could also check that you've not only opened the ports, but forwarded them to the relevant PC. This is relevant it you're using a shared connection, or if your wierd and have a router with just one PC connected to it.

Router has an IP, all PC's have an IP. If you just open the port the traffic will probably be directed to the router, which won't work. If you look in the router's configuration software their should be options to lock an IP to specific PCs, so you don't have to keep changing where things are forwarded to, and to forward the ports to specific IPs.

To be honest, it is more complicated to explain than do...
Sat 24/01/04 at 22:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> In that case, you'd think if the software was both correctly
> configured and well coded you ought to be downloading at your
> downstream limit.

Depends on people uploads still. Also if your uploading at the maximum limit your download suffers. If you want a good download then limit the upload. On ADSL the upload is 256Kbit, or roughly 30K/s. A sensible limit would be 15K/s maximum for the upload. This should see the download speeds unaffected or only affected a little. With BT you do need to share so dont set it really low or your downloads will go slow due to the share speed. To get speed you need to share, but to get high speed you need to limit the upload speed to a sensible rate.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.