GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Pope and Natural Law"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/02/10 at 13:59
"possibly impossible"
As you may have seen, the current Pope, Benedict XVI, is taking what many see as a bit of a step backward in declaring the UK's potential law on Equality to be against the Church's best interests.

While he's not slamming the law itself, he has accused it of making the Catholic church unable to continue without accepting gay people and women into the positions it has previously maintained that they shouldn't be in.

Now it's important to understand the history of this before going straight for the throat and accusing the Pope of sexism, it's pretty important to the Church historically not to have women priests and they've only really just come around to accepting gay people.

Not that it comes from the bible anyway, but then a lot of the things in the bible have been mis-translated (having 3 kings at the crib for instance, there is no mention of number or of royalty) including gay relationships (which were around at the time and no-where in the bible explicitly says anything against them).

Does it surprise me? No. The current Pope (and most of the Vatican it seems) is very old fashioned and believes that this point of view will save the church rather than anything more forward thinking.

So, thoughts, comments? Does he have any point at all or is Pope Benedict just going with the current consensus of the Vatican?
Tue 02/02/10 at 16:07
Regular
"You shall not lie with a man as with a woman; that is an abomination."
Tue 02/02/10 at 15:14
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I myself am steering back to the church a bit by the way. I want to believe, and feel (slightly) that I have been forced away from it by education and society.

We are taught to be dubious of it, to be more intelligent than to need it. And now I'm almost embarrased to say I want to go back with my tail between my legs :D
Tue 02/02/10 at 14:59
"possibly impossible"
Warhunt wrote:
> Just as a pedantic sub note, there was never any mention of the
> number of "kings" at the crib. It just said a
> "number of". It was one of the questions on the quiz
> after all :D
>

Pretty much what I said :) Generally accepted, to the extent of advent scenes in churches, but not written in the Bible.
Tue 02/02/10 at 14:58
"possibly impossible"
I think the Church itself won't be too affected, there are many people unhappy with society at the moment across the world and it tends to push people towards the Church rather than away from it. As a ideal the Church has been through much tougher things than this.

The Pope obviously just reflects the Catholic Church, which is the one everyone looks at for these sort of things due to Rome and The Vatican, but there are far more hardline Churches out there.

My own view is that over time the 'heads' of the Church have become increasingly detached from the members of the Church and they're trying to pull in their power more by becoming more hardline. I could see some Catholic Churches pulling away from this, even though they are supposed to be intrinsically linked to the Pope.

Then, of course, we have to seperate this country from the World. If you're talking about religion and 'church' (place of worship) then there are many countries where it would be unfathomable to see the people moving away from their church. The UK has become more secular though over time and scandals haven't helped, as with any other body where a responsibility rests such as The Police Force, but any entity can move on from their past as long as they show that something has been done to correct it.

But reports show that people are returning to religion for various reasons, even if it's to pray that Labour don't get back into power (or, give it another 4 years, The Conservatives).
Tue 02/02/10 at 14:45
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Just as a pedantic sub note, there was never any mention of the number of "kings" at the crib. It just said a "number of". It was one of the questions on the quiz after all :D

And to me I think this is a bigger thing than many are making it out to be (not the church). I believe that this may be the beginning of the "real" end for the churces.

They haven't played a massive part in society for a long time now (mainstream), but they have pretty much been left alone too. Now it appears they are being bullied about, and forced to change their ways.

The church has always existed as semi-one foot out the door kind of culture, but the last 10 years have thoroughly changed that. Now it's going to go downhill a lot faster.
Tue 02/02/10 at 13:59
"possibly impossible"
As you may have seen, the current Pope, Benedict XVI, is taking what many see as a bit of a step backward in declaring the UK's potential law on Equality to be against the Church's best interests.

While he's not slamming the law itself, he has accused it of making the Catholic church unable to continue without accepting gay people and women into the positions it has previously maintained that they shouldn't be in.

Now it's important to understand the history of this before going straight for the throat and accusing the Pope of sexism, it's pretty important to the Church historically not to have women priests and they've only really just come around to accepting gay people.

Not that it comes from the bible anyway, but then a lot of the things in the bible have been mis-translated (having 3 kings at the crib for instance, there is no mention of number or of royalty) including gay relationships (which were around at the time and no-where in the bible explicitly says anything against them).

Does it surprise me? No. The current Pope (and most of the Vatican it seems) is very old fashioned and believes that this point of view will save the church rather than anything more forward thinking.

So, thoughts, comments? Does he have any point at all or is Pope Benedict just going with the current consensus of the Vatican?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.