GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 online"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/03/04 at 17:23
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
I am trying to connect my network adapter to the Internet but it's not working.

I have an AOL/BT modem box with no free ports, I have the PS2 network adapter and have AOL 8.0 Broadband.

I would appreciate any help, in setting up my PS2.
Sun 14/03/04 at 13:33
Regular
"the man to help lol"
hi
Sun 14/03/04 at 12:23
Regular
"the man to help lol"
hey is help connecting aol broadband if anyone needs it remember u have to have windows xp for it to work.
this is taking from the official ps2 website

How to Use the PlayStation2 with AOL Broadband and Windows XP
Here's how to share your AOL connection using Windows XP:

Connect your PS2 to your PC via a crossover cable (not the straight through cable supplied with the Network Adapter) to a network interface card in your PC.

After connecting to AOL via the client, load the Network Connections page via the Control Panel or your Start menu. You'll see a section called "Virtual Private Networking" & an entry underneath called "The Internet (2)".

If you right-click & select the properties of the "Internet (2)" connection you'll see that it's just like any other network connection type. Go to the advanced tab & you can select the "share this connection" (I can't remember the correct text) checkbox. You'll get a few messages, but just click Ok on on them. Don't worry if it says "Disconnected" anywhere on the entry, this is just a refreshing issue with Windows.

Any devices connected should now see the internet. I've got a network interface card in the PC that's running AOL (the host). I've plugged a laptop into the host's network card via crossover cable & went to the Network Connections page & I can see the shared connection under the "Gateway" section. I'm also able to connect with my PlayStation2 using the automatic settings as I've been part of the beta test since late March.

The catches are that you must load AOL on the host PC & keep that running. You also must share the connection every time as when AOL closes, it deletes the "Internet (2)" entry.

The host PC can still be used for browsing, email, chat, etc even with the PS2 using the connection.

On the PlayStation2, create a new connection but don't choose any ISPs if using Central Station. Just create a manual connection, but just choose all the default automatic settings. As the PC is the connection to the internet, the PS2 doesn't need to know about usernames, DNS servers, etc.

Dunedin397
Sun 14/03/04 at 12:15
Regular
"[UA] HAHA poo pants"
Just one port.
Sun 14/03/04 at 12:10
Regular
"the man to help lol"
me again again on the ps2 website it do i neet two ports on my network card or two netowk cards which one if any.
Sun 14/03/04 at 11:58
Regular
"the man to help lol"
me again i was j7ust checking the ICS and on my advanced tab there is not a check box that says if i want to enable ICS. i was wondering if it should be there now or if it comes on when i have installed the network card replie asap tanks
Sun 14/03/04 at 11:56
Regular
"the man to help lol"
your guys are a great help i have the same problem of having a usb modem (stupid BT) and was not happy when i saw the prices of routers i have just one question do u know the cable that came with the network adapter kit could i use that to connect the netork card (im gonna buy) to the ps2 network adapter or do i need to buy a new one. i would aprecciate any help tanks
ps: it is tru that ps2 online does not support AOL broadband if your go to the official site (www.playstation.com) and go to network gaming and search broadband connections youll have the proof u need.
Sat 13/03/04 at 12:47
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
What kind of modem do you have?
Is it a USB modem or an Ethernet modem?

Ie how is your modem plugged into your PC, follow the lead from the modem to the PC and see what the part connected to the PC looks like.

If its an ethernet modem then you should be able to take the plug from the PC and plug it straight into the PS2, if its a USB then I don't think a direct connection is possible.

ICS would be the only option.
Sat 13/03/04 at 12:21
Regular
AliBoy wrote:
> Right,
> You have three options as have probably been pointed out to you.
>
> A Direct Connection were you plug your modem straight into the
> network adapter. So your PS2 must be located near to your modem which
> for most isn't really the case.
>
> The Router option means you need to buy a router, you then
> plug your modem connection into the router and plug your PS2 and PC
> into the router. Means both can use the internet at the same time and
> also means you can connect other computers and share the internet
> connection with them. Then from there there is also the option to set
> up a wireless network and buy wireless access points etc but that is
> a costly option, especially if you don't really need it.
>
> The ICS option Is the cheapest but as the connection is going
> through your PC it means to get the best performance from the game,
> ie no LAG or problems it means you can't really use the computer
> while playing online.
> Anyway this sounds like the option you are going for so here is the
> step by step guide to setting it up:
>
> 1. Switch of your PC, PS2 and Modem.
> 2. Make sure your modem is connected to your PC
> 3. Take your CAT5 network cable and plug it into the second slot on
> your network card (on back of PC beside where the modem plugs into.
> 4.Connect the other end of this lead into the PS2's network adapter.
> 5.Switch on your modem and then your PC (In that order) and make sure
> you can access the internet as normal.
> 6. If it works then you need to set up ICS on your PC, depends on
> your version of windows. If you have XP then:
>
> 1. Click on the Start menu button, then move your mouse cursor to
> Settings, then click Network and Dial-Up Connections. The Network and
> Dial-Up Connections window will appear.
>
> 2. A small window should now appear showing some icons, of which one
> will be called Local Area Network, and another will be the connection
> you use to connect to the Internet. If you do not have at least two
> icons, your PC isn't ready to act as an Internet Connection Sharing
> host. Check to make sure your network card is installed correctly.
>
> 3. Assuming you do have at least two icons, select the icon for your
> Internet connection. This should be the connection you wish to share.
> Right-click it, and then click Properties.
>
> 4. In the Properties dialog box, click on the Advanced tab and then
> click the check box stating you wish to enable Internet Connection
> Sharing.
>
> 5. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
>
> Then all you need to do is turn on your PS2, insert the network disk
> and follow the instructions.
> All this was on the official playstation site under the network
> gaming guides as I said before.

You know the DIRECT CONNECTION. Which plug is the modem that will go in the PS2?
Sat 13/03/04 at 11:50
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Right,
You have three options as have probably been pointed out to you.

A Direct Connection were you plug your modem straight into the network adapter. So your PS2 must be located near to your modem which for most isn't really the case.

The Router option means you need to buy a router, you then plug your modem connection into the router and plug your PS2 and PC into the router. Means both can use the internet at the same time and also means you can connect other computers and share the internet connection with them. Then from there there is also the option to set up a wireless network and buy wireless access points etc but that is a costly option, especially if you don't really need it.

The ICS option Is the cheapest but as the connection is going through your PC it means to get the best performance from the game, ie no LAG or problems it means you can't really use the computer while playing online.
Anyway this sounds like the option you are going for so here is the step by step guide to setting it up:

1. Switch of your PC, PS2 and Modem.
2. Make sure your modem is connected to your PC
3. Take your CAT5 network cable and plug it into the second slot on your network card (on back of PC beside where the modem plugs into.
4.Connect the other end of this lead into the PS2's network adapter.
5.Switch on your modem and then your PC (In that order) and make sure you can access the internet as normal.
6. If it works then you need to set up ICS on your PC, depends on your version of windows. If you have XP then:

1. Click on the Start menu button, then move your mouse cursor to Settings, then click Network and Dial-Up Connections. The Network and Dial-Up Connections window will appear.

2. A small window should now appear showing some icons, of which one will be called Local Area Network, and another will be the connection you use to connect to the Internet. If you do not have at least two icons, your PC isn't ready to act as an Internet Connection Sharing host. Check to make sure your network card is installed correctly.

3. Assuming you do have at least two icons, select the icon for your Internet connection. This should be the connection you wish to share. Right-click it, and then click Properties.

4. In the Properties dialog box, click on the Advanced tab and then click the check box stating you wish to enable Internet Connection Sharing.

5. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.

Then all you need to do is turn on your PS2, insert the network disk and follow the instructions.
All this was on the official playstation site under the network gaming guides as I said before.
Sat 13/03/04 at 09:05
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Yup, try Windows Help (just hit F1 on the desktop and search ICS) or
> ask in the PC forum - I have gotten ICS to work but it was more luck
> than skill...

It's hard. Live Help on AOL don't help, either.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.