GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the PS2 honestly that bad?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/01 at 21:18
Regular
When sony anounced that they were releasing the PS2 I thought that it would be the best thing since the SNES and could not wait to get one. But now that that it's here it seems to be quality starved and most of the games that I have played have poor gameplay or are sequels to popular PS1 games. Which is a good idea in theory but in reality these games are more or less the same but with improved graphics eg Tekken Tag, Ridge Racer and GT3. I just want to know if it realy is that bad, your opinions please.

Only non biased gamers post. (No phrases like PS2 is great because nintendo/microsoft suck)
Fri 27/07/01 at 22:23
Regular
Wookie, I knew that Wipeout would be (Sony owning Psygnosis) but what about the rest?

Who made them?
Fri 27/07/01 at 22:21
"High polygon count"
NiGHTS! wrote:
> SONY LOST £170MILLION FROM THEIR GAMES DEPARTMENT OVER THE LAST YEAR
>-This means nothing except sony are
> shipping hardware at a loss, and are trying to gain money from
> games.

And don't forget Sony also invested many, many millions in building chip manufacturing plants for the PS2 chips. It was generally a foregone conclusion that they would make a loss for last year.
Fri 27/07/01 at 22:19
"High polygon count"
Strafex wrote:
> Only Nintendo have their own agenda of
> games which you might not prefer over your favourites but are well
> worth getting alongside.

Wipeout Fusion, The Getaway, Dropship, Extermination, Red Faction... plenty of games from Sony - all well worth owning - which are PS2 only, or at best PS2 and PC. There are exclusive titles worth getting a PS2 for.

> Konami (ISS, MGS2 and ZOE) are confirmed GC devellopers

Konami, Namco and Capcom have never been strictly PS2-only anyway. There are many multi-format developers who will release certain titles on all platforms, with others being exclusive to some systems.

> Capcom have actually said they prefer tha Gamecube over the PS2.

They may well prefer it, but they simply can't afford to ignore PS2 because of the user base.
Fri 27/07/01 at 21:39
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Right, here goes:

SONY LOST £170MILLION FROM THEIR GAMES DEPARTMENT OVER THE LAST YEAR
-This means nothing except sony are shipping hardware at a loss, and are trying to gain money from games. Like the printer industry- the printers are sold at a loss, and the manufacturers make loads of money on the print carts.

SONY IS ONLY 128- SAME AS DC
-Whoever said that should really do some reading up. The "bit speed" of a console means NOTHING! What is important are the CPU speed and the architecture. However, even more importantly- how much time developers work on the console for. To give you an example of the above:

1)DC and PS2 have the same bit rate, but the PS2 is capable of more polygons
2)The architecture of the DC is based on a PC. This makes very easy development as no new concepts need to be learned. The PS2 has different architecture that does make things harder AT FIRST. After this, good games will appear.
3)Many developers have said they are making games for the PS2 becuase they have invested so much in it so far that they can't stop support. Therefore they are bound to the console and will make great games. HAd the same thing happened with the Sega Saturn, then developers would also have made stunning games (in fact there were some excellent ones... like my namesake;)

THE GAMECUBE IS MORE FLEXIBLE
-Why? Because Nintendo have said so, and magazines have copied this. In fact the people who write magazines are NOT programmers... they just print what is said. In reality, the PS2 dev kits were disapointing. However, some great support has been built at Sony, and now it is easily on par with the Gamecube.

THE GAMECUBE WILL HAVE BETTER GAMES
-AH! So you've played them then? Reality: If I were to judge the GC now I would say "it is P00". The reason is on the E3 show. There was no mario game. There was no Zelda game. Metroid and other games had jerky graphics. Luidgi's mansion was simply "walk with the C-pad, move vaccuum with the other pad, suck in ghosts." That is based on fact.
BEFORE you argue, let me explain why I said this. NOT to say GC will be bad. In all likelyhood I will get one- but only if the games appeal (which zelda and the like do). However, all these biased fans who say "GC games are much better" are kidding themselves. At the moment they aren't even playable! They will be great (well, some of them), but there will be just as good games on the other consoles!

XBOX IS ALREADY DEAD
-Well, let me see. It has a $500million advertising budget. It has extremely good exclusive games- something that Sony MIGHT lose the edge on if developers port games to other consoles. For example, xbox has Abes' Exodus (or whatever oddworl game is next), Halo and DOA3.

And the rubbish about Xbox being a PC and crashing. How do you know this? Have you examined the hardware scematics- or just listened to what other biased mags say? Fact is that the Xbox most resembles an upgraded DC. It does not have many PC ports- no more than the PS2, and has plenty of good games. It will do extremely well in America.

X IS MORE POWERFUL THAN Y
-More "powerful". What does that mean? The Atarui Jaguar was (in theory but not in reality... so don't argue bonus- this is an example!), a 64 bit console in a 16 bit era, But there was only one notable game that I could remember Alien vs Preditor. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GAMES.

CONSOLES WARS
-Why do people pledge alligance to consoles by saying it is the best. Have you played a GC? Then why do you mock/praise its games? How can you say that it is the best thing since sliced bread? And why pledge alligance at all? I admit the PS2 will have great games, but am disapointed with what Sony have done so far. I love the DC games, but curse Sega for the lack of advertising. I am looking forward to the GC, but am annoyed that Ninty has put so much hype on it via the press. I love the exclusive games on xbox, but can see that it might have serious consequences for future competition in the market.

Thank you for reading- I will be posting this in a topic in its own right in order to allow people to add their own hates of these discussions ;) Feel free to add bits!

NiGHTS!
Fri 27/07/01 at 21:13
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> NiGHTS! wrote:
> No, my point was it's almost 3 years since the
> consol's release... and the
> best u have is a demo??? (well,
> one of the best)

Who's had it for 3 years??? It was launched
> in Japan in March 2000 - that's 17 months - not even 2 years, let
> alone 3!

sorry, what i meant to say was it is almost 3 years of development time (since dev kist shipped)

NiGHTS!
Fri 27/07/01 at 20:46
Regular
This one is against Ant's long post.

Remember that just about all your favourite games on PSOne/PS2 are made by free third party companies.

The N64 was awkward to devellop for with slightly strange hardware and miniscule but expensive cartriges to work on.

This lead to devellopers leaving out for the easier to devellop for Playstation.

Now the Gamecube is develloper friendly, all these devellopers will be releasing their games for the Nintendo's machine as well as the PS2.

You find your favourites on both machines.
Only Nintendo have their own agenda of games which you might not prefer over your favourites but are well worth getting alongside.

Konami (ISS, MGS2 and ZOE) are confirmed GC devellopers (and I know that it's been said that MGS2 is a PS2 exclusive, Pod Racer on the N64 was a N64 exclusive until 2 months AFTER it's release).
Squaresoft want to bring their FF series to the cube and Nintendo is bound to give into them sooner or later.
Capcom have actually said they prefer tha Gamecube over the PS2. (It's not so awkward to makes on you see.)
Namco are making games for it too and so are a several others.

What's the PS2 worth if every single good game is on other systems too, possibly enhanced in the other versions.

And besides, there's plenty of Nintendo games you'll like coming alone too...
Fri 27/07/01 at 20:35
Regular
I don't think that PS2 is more powerful than the Gamecube (I'd really like to see your source and it had better not be PS2 mag...)

As for flexibility?

You can't do more on a PS2 because it's awkward to program.

Yes you have to do things in a different way which means learning a new code and starting all your skills from scratch. That means you're stuck with the more basic techniques.

The Gamecube and Xbox are programmed using the same coding as PC games so the code is widely used, the devellopers are more familliar with it, they can use all the old tricks they've picked up, nothing new to learn - the can just concentrate on using the awesome power to make great games without faffing around with unwanted complications.

And NO. Using a PC's code does not limit your games and set up restrictions.

That's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a long time.

Surely you can come up with something better than that TB. :-D
Fri 27/07/01 at 20:26
Regular
"I like cheese"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Ummm, Ant, the GameCube isn't more powerful than the PS2.

Just
> clearing that up.

Isn't it??

But as I said, specs don't matter. But at least that's an argument Ninty's can't use now! Mwa ha ha ha!!
Fri 27/07/01 at 17:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The PS2 costs £270 because it's a bloody miracle, that's why!
Fri 27/07/01 at 17:06
Regular
I'm sick fed up of people saying the PS2 only costs £300 because it plays DVDs, it just isn't true, so shhhhhhh.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.