GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Email Service"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/12/09 at 08:48
"Are you sure?"
Morning all.

I appreciate people will be busy this morning but it someone could provide a likely ETA for normal service it would be much appreciated - either on the Status page or here?

Thanks in advance.
NB. twitter.com/Freeola would work well for Service updates and if the outage was affecting your website you could still reach the world :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 12/12/09 at 19:15
Regular
Hi World Air Group

there are still messages filtering through and one of he staff moderators said that they were still going to be working on the broken server all weekend so there is still time - are you aware that your contact page and other pages on your web site are still showing 404 errrors.

Digi

World Air Group wrote:
> I am still missing emails from the outage date. Anyone else
> having the same problems? I hope someone at Freeola can look into
> this for us please.
Sat 12/12/09 at 18:15
Regular
I am still missing emails from the outage date. Anyone else having the same problems? I hope someone at Freeola can look into this for us please.
Sat 12/12/09 at 17:31
Regular
I go out shopping and return to 255 emails (my I am popular) none dated later than 3/12/09 several that I have already had some more than twice like the Wii listing sales from play.com had them 4 time s now as I put them in my "Keep Me" folder

All the Spam is dated from 3rd through to todays date, but am sure this will settle down, not sure how it works, but am thinking the new mail server will need retrained?

Digi

Just checking all these emails again and most are from facebok, and am thinking perhaps they tried to send when the server was down and like Eccles mentioned earlier on this thread Facebook server got these messages returned and this is it retrying? hence the deluge of mail from Facebook?

Digi
Sat 12/12/09 at 11:34
"Are you sure?"
Hi ourLOL,
The 'trick' is to setup both your email client and Gmail to leave a copy on the server. Then Gmail just picks up a copy and does no more, but obviously to ensure it gets everything you also need to tell Outlook to leave a copy for 1 day to give Gmail a chance to see it.

No you don't use IMAP - use the Gmail options under
"Check mail using POP3".

I was intending to write a tutorial explaining this at some point - perhaps now will be a good time...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 12/12/09 at 11:25
Regular
Hi Hmmm,

Will definitely explore that idea with GMail. I'll need to do it when I have no distractions however as I'm a bit slow in getting to grips with this sort of thing.

I assume my freeola outlook account will remain the same e.g. all messages retained in the inbox, but will only stored on the server for 24 hours.

I just wanted to make sure Google doesn't grab them out of my outlook inbox... but has it's own copy instead. In theory would both be running in sync?

Last and by no means least do I use the IMAP access option with GMail?

Thank you.

Laura

PS: If this gets complicated maybe I will set up a new thread rather than clog up this one.
Sat 12/12/09 at 10:23
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Hi all. I'm sorry to have missed this "issue" with my week off. An extra person would have helped out no doubt.

Firstly a quick thank you to the moderators for their help throughout. We all know by now that we try and update these forums as often as possible, but it's not always possible with heavy workloads.

Secondly if anyone has any further issues (that are not already being looked into by Eccles) please post it here so we can continue to investigate.
Sat 12/12/09 at 10:04
"Are you sure?"
ourLOL wrote:
> Perhaps now would be a good time to tweak those settings and
> maybe store them for a period of maybe 30 days only.

Leaving your all your mail on the servers will eventually cause space issues.

My solution to this is to leave a copy on the server for a day, pick up your mail normally using Outlook or your chosen email client. But also setup Gmail (GoogleMail) to 'fetch' your mail from the server.

This works well as Gmail has a large storage allowance (7GB) and can be accessed from anywhere (including most mobile devices), and your mail isn't hanging around on Freeola's servers filling your mail box up.

This also gives you access to previous email even if Freeola's servers aren't available which can be helpful.

You can do some clever stuff with Gmail and it's 'mail fetcher' options, all for free so it's worth a look.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 12/12/09 at 10:02
Regular
Hmmm,

Yes my settings were to leave messages on the server. I've now reset that to 31 days and have also checked the box to make sure emails I've deleted are removed as well.

Thanks guys, your replies have really helped.

Laura
Sat 12/12/09 at 09:58
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
> Not quite sure duplicate e-mail will be coming
> through. Its possible the MX server that received the email
> passed it onto the POP server but the server didn't respond so
> the mail wasn't cleared off the MX even though the old server had
> stored it. When the new server came online the MX may still had
> the mail but I'd expect it to come through earlier.

Hi Eccles,
Looking at Friday's duplication for example - New email communication that I only started on Friday morning with replies arriving normally during the day yesterday have all arrived again?
i.e. None of this traffic was started before the 'crash'?

This could be it:
I do leave a copy of my mail on the mail server for a day so that I can pick it up on backup machines/services. So if part of your recovery was to resend everything on your servers this would explain the duplication.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 12/12/09 at 09:54
Regular
Eccles,

Thanks for your reply. That makes sense why so many have come through. The only reason I have the email stored is so that I have access to it through my Freedom email account.

On the rare occasion I've been away from the Office and need to access my email remotely, it's been good to know I can refer to messages from the last couple of months should I have to.

Perhaps now would be a good time to tweak those settings and maybe store them for a period of maybe 30 days only.

Thanks again.

Laura

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.