GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/07/01 at 13:58
Regular
Looks amazing so far.

Discuss
Fri 13/07/01 at 11:03
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Sony and Nintendo have great history.

Yeah, the Sony machine crashed. And it's not been a bed of roses with the DVD, but then Sony has the undesputedly vast success with the PS1. People trust them.

Nintendo. Argue as much as you like but the N64 diddnt do all that well. (ps1 reseased far erlier with lower specs is still on sale, n64 is £30 secondhand only), but they have history. they have mario. zelda, the gameboy, the list goes on.

People will remember the X-Box crash. My PC crashes a hell of a lot. the X-Box is a PC (disguised as a small bungalow). people will remember that windows is pants. people know that pcs are easy as pie to hack.

Gamers know that MS are throwing a lot of money at it. Money cant buy you love, not like the love you have for your nintendo/sega/sony. The real competition they have will be pcs.

I hope it works out for them, but i am wary of what could happen, and many others are too. Ill wait until they have been here a year, made sure the machine is stable and the games are good.
Fri 13/07/01 at 09:43
Regular
Taken from SR's very own Ukxbox.com:

"The list of developers for Xbox was incredible, over 150 in all. All the big names were on board - Namco, Eidos, Acclaim, Virgin, Capcom...I could say the list goes on and on but it really does go on and on. Even EA - the masters of the sports sim - have pledged their whole hearted support for the Xbox, and there are rumours of a possible 10 games that will be launched with the console."

So if games is what you want, looks like you'll get them by the bucketload!
Fri 13/07/01 at 08:59
The Game wote:

"I don't believe the X-Box is a PC in any way"

In reply... of course its a PC, its based completely on PC hardware and will be based on Direct X 8.0. Itll also have a hard drive and will allow you to get online.

Bets on how many days it takes for someone to release an Xbox virus... Ild say within 3 days of launch the Xbox will be the first console to be able to be infected by viruses.
Fri 13/07/01 at 07:32
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
The graphics look, Ok, a little blurryier than of those from the GC and PS2 and quite shakey.

The console dont look good!
Thu 12/07/01 at 22:23
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
err... THAT crash at E3... what about Sony!

When the PS2 was about 2 weeks from release, Sony had a HUGE pre-launch Spaceworld style show in Japan.

HUGE big demo crashed! Never shown again.

Consoles crashed. Sony actually employed people to drill holes in the console capsules so that more people (who they paid) could hit reset when the games crashed.

Didn't put the public off.

At this years E3, Ninty had the most bigs.. metroid was meant to be very unsmooth as were a few other key games (mind you, mario and link were absent from the show!). Do gamers care?

Sonic
Thu 12/07/01 at 22:17
Regular
The X-Box makes me laugh. Yeah, it does look good. Yeah, it will be a great console. But if ONE tiny bad thing happens to it, they try so hard to shove it under the carpet.

Look at those doctored pictures... great.
Thu 12/07/01 at 20:55
Yes, but the GC looks a more attractive investment compared to the Xbox. Just take a look at the two and the game developers suporting them: GC will have sequels of superbly playable classics, whereas the Xbox... won't.
Thu 12/07/01 at 20:51
Regular
Turbonutter, you're wrong.

The mass market won't know about THAT crash at E3. Also, why is everyone saying it's too expensive? It's the same price as the PS2 was at launch.

Ok, so it's twice the price of the 'Cube, but it can do more. You may say that it's only the games that count, but for some people it's not enough.

If someone can buy an XBox and a little add-on, which will enable them to play games, watch DVD's and browse the 'net for, say £350. Without the need to spend money on a PC or a DVD player, why would want to spend £150 on a machine purely for games, when they then have to spend another £150+ on a DVD player, and then spend £450+ on a PC top browse the 'net?

I can't see why PS2 owners are slating the XBox, it's aimed at exactly the same market as the PS2, it will launch at the same price, and it can do (as far as i know) pretty much the same thing!
Thu 12/07/01 at 20:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
As an object moves faster, time slows down for it.

Sorry, got carried away.

Well, about the Xbox. It does have top developers but it's not a fantastically good piece of kit for the price. I think the public will see it as an attempt by a heartless corporation to make money. Coupled with MS's appalling track record, THAT crash at E3, and the launch of the GaqmeCube not day away from it, I believe it will probably fail miserably. A few people might buy it as an alternative for their PC, but most people would have more sense than that.
Thu 12/07/01 at 19:29
That's actually kinda funny...

But in theory (great word) time wouldonly have slowed down for a split second ('scuse the expression), or even less.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.