GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon- overrated?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/01 at 01:36
Regular
Crouching Tiger i feel was the most disappointing movie experience i've had. Don't get me wrong- it was a great film, but when i heard a martial arts movie got so many Oscar nominations i couldn't wait to see it.
The fight scenes were excellent, but I wasn't impressed by the way they were shot. The camera should just have stayed fixed on the fighters, allowing us to see the great technical fighting more closely.
I thought the story was sound, but a bit weak and ultimately unrewarding. The end was inevitable, but it seemed a bit rushed.

I own the DVD and still rate it as one of my top 20 films, but i was expecting so much more...

What does anyone else think about the film??
Wed 11/07/01 at 10:44
I tell you what they remind me of
MMMMOOONNNKKEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

theyre probably very different but that was very over the top (borderline sad). Funny though
Wed 11/07/01 at 10:44
Regular
"not dead"
The general feeling here appears to be that hype ruined the movie.

Can that really happen though?

It's still the same film, good or bad, with or without the hype.

If you watch every film with no expectations whatsoever, will it be a quite different experience?

I think the problem is that some people are too willing to believe what they hear before seeing for themselves, and then build the movie into something it is not.

If this happens you're bound to be disappointed!
Wed 11/07/01 at 10:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
DaveyDenton wrote:

"I will avenge my master with my purple claw of death
> move"
But im sure theyre classic none the less

"Purple Claw of Death"..excellent.

I dont know about classics, I wouldn't say the ones I've seen have been brilliant.
I just find a lot of them really, really funny because they're so awful.
Wed 11/07/01 at 10:38
I like martial arts films in every fashion.
cant say ive ever felt the need to watch one fo the older style flicks
with the flying and the swordplay a-woo-hey.

i remeber seeing a documen on CTHD and it showed the old over the top style films they looked a little bit too
"I will avenge my master with my purple claw of death move"
But im sure theyre classic none the less
Wed 11/07/01 at 10:31
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
DaveyDenton wrote:
(bad bad
> chessy jap acting im talking b-movie flicks)

Oh I dont know, I love those sometimes.
Bad dubbing, rubbish story. Just old oriental guys leaping about.
Wed 11/07/01 at 10:25
I hadn't heard all the hype about it but i thought it showed the grace of martial arts well and had a typical plot but done without the un-necasry over the topness of most kung-fu flicks (bad bad chessy jap acting im talking b-movie flicks)
Tue 10/07/01 at 20:09
The_Vottanator wrote:
> I don't agree. I think it flowed along really well. It wasn't like
> all the other martial arts films (which I like as well) where there
> is no storyline, just fighting.

I wasn't expecting much but I really liked it. I agree with votta.
Tue 10/07/01 at 19:51
But the thing with Crouching Tiger is that it wasn't supposed to be a martial arts movie- it was meant principally meant to be a love story with martial arts in it. I think the martial arts overrode(is that a word?) the love story because it wasn't strong enough, and in the end, the fight scenes took over the film and made it, not the story.

But hey, different strokes for differnt folks!
(whatever that means)
Tue 10/07/01 at 19:17
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I don't agree. I think it flowed along really well. It wasn't like all the other martial arts films (which I like as well) where there is no storyline, just fighting.

Im saw it in the cinema but I was still expectinga lot as I heard it was nominated for 10 oscars. I wasn't disappointed.
Tue 10/07/01 at 11:23
That's the problem with it- overhyped, and it didn't feel like a flowing film. It seemed to be set pieces interlinked with storyline, that didn't gel together like it should. The love story could have easily been looked at in more detail in half the time, leaving less time between set pieces. I found myself not really caring about the storyline, instead just waiting for the next fight scene. It could have been so much better...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.