GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thanks... It's all possible because of you!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/06/01 at 20:19
Regular
I'll thank them... without them gaming might not have taken the turn it has... sure people bought Gameboys anyway, but with the cost of gaming development getting higher and higher the number of 'gamers' might not have been able to support massive projects like Shenmue and MGS2! I mean, they're not 100% Gaming, but they're good at it... their first console was quite a success and the second is okay.

You see, with a brand name you can do lots... but with a recognised and trusted brand name you can do almost anything business-wise! Through their well-known Hi-Fi and Televisions Sony were able to start off in the games industry with one less problem... Trust.

Although gamers can and do differ to Hi-Fi and TV 'fans' (if there are such people) the name would still have meant something, and in Japan, the chances of a gamer's TV being a 'Sony' is very high.

But, why did gamers choose them over Nintendo and their N64... well, I would have said because they looked more promising. Although Nintendo had a reputation of quality gaming through franchises such as Mario and Zelda they didn't look in any position to take to the future... and Sony... with their Sleek, CD based PSX DID!

Because of the complex implications of designing and making Hi-Fi's and Television's, People could trust Sony to do the same with the Playstation... and they did. Although it wasn't nearly as powerful as the modern day consoles it did the trick and 3D gaming was to be revolutionised! From here 3rd parties swarmed round the Playstation hive, and games like GT2 and MGS we born...

So now it's Nintendo's chance to try and get back what they lost those 6-7 years ago... they could do it... but not if it weren't for Sony revoultionising the gaming market when they did!! Microsoft wouldn't be able to release the X-Box either! So... from a Nintendo fanatic to Sony - Thank You... but it won't be smooth sailing 'boys'... you're gonna get roasted when our Gamecube comes out! ;)

Game: Part of the Nintendo Difference... ^_^
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:06
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
If only the N64 was CD based... no-one would have minded about the loading times...!
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:30
What is scarey is the fact that were 6-7 years behind due to the whole console wars with Sony and Nintendo. Can you imagine a machine with the N64s graphical capabilities but with a CD drive, it would be capable of almost everything that the PS2 has produced so far.
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:19
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I'll thank them... without them gaming might not have taken the turn it has... sure people bought Gameboys anyway, but with the cost of gaming development getting higher and higher the number of 'gamers' might not have been able to support massive projects like Shenmue and MGS2! I mean, they're not 100% Gaming, but they're good at it... their first console was quite a success and the second is okay.

You see, with a brand name you can do lots... but with a recognised and trusted brand name you can do almost anything business-wise! Through their well-known Hi-Fi and Televisions Sony were able to start off in the games industry with one less problem... Trust.

Although gamers can and do differ to Hi-Fi and TV 'fans' (if there are such people) the name would still have meant something, and in Japan, the chances of a gamer's TV being a 'Sony' is very high.

But, why did gamers choose them over Nintendo and their N64... well, I would have said because they looked more promising. Although Nintendo had a reputation of quality gaming through franchises such as Mario and Zelda they didn't look in any position to take to the future... and Sony... with their Sleek, CD based PSX DID!

Because of the complex implications of designing and making Hi-Fi's and Television's, People could trust Sony to do the same with the Playstation... and they did. Although it wasn't nearly as powerful as the modern day consoles it did the trick and 3D gaming was to be revolutionised! From here 3rd parties swarmed round the Playstation hive, and games like GT2 and MGS we born...

So now it's Nintendo's chance to try and get back what they lost those 6-7 years ago... they could do it... but not if it weren't for Sony revoultionising the gaming market when they did!! Microsoft wouldn't be able to release the X-Box either! So... from a Nintendo fanatic to Sony - Thank You... but it won't be smooth sailing 'boys'... you're gonna get roasted when our Gamecube comes out! ;)

Game: Part of the Nintendo Difference... ^_^

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.