GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thanks... It's all possible because of you!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/06/01 at 20:19
Regular
I'll thank them... without them gaming might not have taken the turn it has... sure people bought Gameboys anyway, but with the cost of gaming development getting higher and higher the number of 'gamers' might not have been able to support massive projects like Shenmue and MGS2! I mean, they're not 100% Gaming, but they're good at it... their first console was quite a success and the second is okay.

You see, with a brand name you can do lots... but with a recognised and trusted brand name you can do almost anything business-wise! Through their well-known Hi-Fi and Televisions Sony were able to start off in the games industry with one less problem... Trust.

Although gamers can and do differ to Hi-Fi and TV 'fans' (if there are such people) the name would still have meant something, and in Japan, the chances of a gamer's TV being a 'Sony' is very high.

But, why did gamers choose them over Nintendo and their N64... well, I would have said because they looked more promising. Although Nintendo had a reputation of quality gaming through franchises such as Mario and Zelda they didn't look in any position to take to the future... and Sony... with their Sleek, CD based PSX DID!

Because of the complex implications of designing and making Hi-Fi's and Television's, People could trust Sony to do the same with the Playstation... and they did. Although it wasn't nearly as powerful as the modern day consoles it did the trick and 3D gaming was to be revolutionised! From here 3rd parties swarmed round the Playstation hive, and games like GT2 and MGS we born...

So now it's Nintendo's chance to try and get back what they lost those 6-7 years ago... they could do it... but not if it weren't for Sony revoultionising the gaming market when they did!! Microsoft wouldn't be able to release the X-Box either! So... from a Nintendo fanatic to Sony - Thank You... but it won't be smooth sailing 'boys'... you're gonna get roasted when our Gamecube comes out! ;)

Game: Part of the Nintendo Difference... ^_^
Wed 27/06/01 at 10:38
If the PS2 is £200, the same as the GameCube then the PS2 will sell well. Particularly if Sony iron out the DVD playback problems.
Wed 27/06/01 at 10:25
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I doubt the Gamecube will have the price advantage on its release. Sony dropped their prices on the PS to match/undercut every console after the PS's launch, and it worked well for them. Id be very surprised if the PS2 was more than £200 when the GC is released. (and it will have an 80 or so games back-catalogue...)
Wed 27/06/01 at 10:10
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dringo wrote:
> the Playstation isn't true 3D though it is called isometric!

Well that's balls. Even Ridge Racer was 3D. Then there was Tomb Raider, etc.
Wed 27/06/01 at 00:19
Regular
Actually the reacent games are!
Wed 27/06/01 at 00:18
Regular
the Playstation isn't true 3D though it is called isometric!
Wed 27/06/01 at 00:02
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I think we could see a repeat scenario with the Gamecube and X-Box, the PS2 is already out and if it weren't for the £200 price tag I think the Gamecube could be done!
Tue 26/06/01 at 23:06
Its exactly what Dringo said the choice was:

SNES (A 2D console), Saturn (Essentially 2D) or Playstation (The first 3D console).

The choice was easy, people saw Wipeout and Formula One on the Playstation...and well it was to good. By the Time the N64 came along it was to late.
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:34
Regular
"Back For Good"
It's not Sony's fault the N64 went the way it did if thats what your saying. The N64 has a nice few good games but not anywhere near as many on the PSX.

Also I don't think paying £50 for a game without being able to even try a demo put alot of people off.The one thing i thought really lacked on the N64 was fighting games,Driving games and games with mature themes.
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:15
Regular
Nintendo didn't want to move to CD's after the failure of the phillips Cdi more, i'll tell you why PS did so well, Graphics they ahd good graphics and gamers had a Snes to deal with! Compare the 2 and gamers were blown away and they all got the PS!
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:13
The Game wrote:
> If only the N64 was CD based... no-one would have minded about the
> loading times...!

I did find it strange why Nintendo tried to oppose Sony and Sega's CD based consoles with a cartridge based console. Cartridges were more expensive, for us to buy, and for them to make and put games on. CD's were much cheaper and easier to use.

But, the N64 still gave us some of the best games ever didn't it: Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are my personal favourites, but a lot of people seem to love the two Zelda games.

Would these games have been the same if they were on CD? Would you have looked at them differently?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.