GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Design for the DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/07/04 at 10:19
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/

It's looking good :)
Tue 03/08/04 at 14:32
Regular
The thing is, wireless multiplay is almost incomplete without communications.

I know the new Gameboy (by the by, I don't think that it'll be coming out for a LONG time) will probably have an XB Live style headset, but the extra screen would've made all the difference in handling the communications part while the main screen could handle the main game...

Besides, wasn't the GBA2 sort of quietened out once the DS started picking up interest?
Mon 02/08/04 at 22:26
Regular
The next Game Boy Advance system may still incorporate wireless play of Goldeneye - should Microsoft Game Studios, or whoever has the largest share of Rareware at the time allow them to do so.

However it would be difficult (as far as I am aware) to release due to EA having the Bond licence.
Mon 02/08/04 at 21:46
Regular
Sir Stridman wrote:
> Creepy wrote:
> FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> No analogue.
> pap

:-)

Well, I wouldn't go as far to say pap, but it's a shame because it's hampered the potential for serious 3D games.
So much for my dream of handheld wireless Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.

But c'est la vie! :-)
Mon 02/08/04 at 19:56
"period drama"
And from what I've heard, in Metroid the touch-screen control should be non-existant. But without a second stick, FPSs become near-impossible to control unless you do use the screen.

Although the touch-screen will do a thousand times more good for games, and the industry, then bad. I can only see good things coming from the DS - actually excited now, which doesn't happen too often.

Away from my personal life, a move to 3D games credits an analogue stick. It would take much to add on a PSP-like bumpy thing beside (not even replacing) the D-Pad - apparently it's very nice to use.
Mon 02/08/04 at 19:50
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Just because its a new line of consoles, so to speak, for Nintendo doesn't mean the touch screen should be used for every game. I think all systems should be about offering enjoyment, and for games like Mario Kart, Metroid, Super Mario x 4 and others that are supposedly landing on the system, analogue contol is a big thing, and touch screen is non existant.
Mon 02/08/04 at 19:43
Regular
Because the DS is a side-system. It's main function is the touchscreen which isn't entirely great for every game - thus the next version of Game Boy will carry on with the more traditional style of play.
Mon 02/08/04 at 19:05
Regular
"a.k.a King"
The DS should be the predessesor to the GBA. It's gonna be great, but why bring out a GBA 2 when theres a DS??
Mon 02/08/04 at 18:34
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Even something resembling the C-Stick would be a nice little touch, just looking at Super Mario 64 x 4 is surely enough to justify the inclusion of an analogue stick, as well as the Metroid benefits. As much as I like the touch screen idea, I feel for some games its just being used for the sake of it, just like Metroid.
Mon 02/08/04 at 18:22
"period drama"
Dringo wrote:
> Touch screen is the main form of control... the use of a analogue
> stick would just muddle the issue.

But hardly very comfortable - stretching across the D-pad, holding the pen in your left hand and trying to support the DS as well.
They could remove the D-Pad all together and put an extra touch-sensitive circle in there to act for movement that you control with your thumb.
Mon 02/08/04 at 17:15
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
It looks a little better than the first prototype, but the absence of an analogue stick slightly disappoints, even though I never expected one after the original design. Hmmmmm, yeah, it’s not all bad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.