GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chris Sawyer's Locomotion..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Transport Tycoon'.
Mon 23/08/04 at 10:09
Regular
I'm not sure if anybodies every played Transport Tycoon before? but it would appear Christopher is re-releasing this game, with a vast amount of upgrades.

Basically, on Transport Tycoon, you are in a pre-created world (there is the option to make your own map) and you create transport. You can't design the vehicals (but when you see the shots, you'll see why this doesn't matter), but you create a track layout and basically do stuff to earn money. For example, you could build a passenger train from one town to another, or you could build a vehical road from the coal mine, to the electricty station and earn money that way. It's a really fun, great game that'll have you hooked for hours.

Anyway, I'm not sure if Locomotion is the same, however judging from these screenshots (I've included them below) I'm pretty sure it's just Transport Tycoon updated.

There is no information about the game yet, however there are 5 screen shots. I for one will be getting this game, as you cannot play the original on Windows XP.

By the way, if you've never played this before, another games created by Chris Sawyer is Rollercoaster Tycoon (All 3 games + add-on packs).

Here are some screenshots from Locomotion:
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_005.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_004.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_003.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_002.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_001.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_000.jpg

Also, judging by those screenshots the following changes have been made from Transport Tycoon:

- Much more detail on buildings/objects.
- Ability to create bus stops on streets, rather than a large bus station.
- Trams.
- Realistic airports.
- Graphical passengers at stations.
- Companies are ranked.
Sun 12/09/04 at 15:21
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
A question.

What on Earth is the HQ for? You know - when you first start and choose your name etc, there's an option to build an HQ for your company.

What's it for then?

And I swear - this is a complete rip off of that Railroad Tycoon game thing.
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:21
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
It is a rip of Transport Tycoon, taht's why its pretty cheap. But it still rocks.

And the HQ doesn't "do" anything. Its just for show, and allows you to bring your stats up when clicking on it. It probably adds to the population of wherever its built too.
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:24
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I'm so rubbish at this.

I haven't a clue how to set up half of the stuff. I can hardly figure out how to work trucks.

I did some stuff with trains though. Yey.
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:30
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
What inparticular are you having trouble with?
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Anything that involves some form of transport really.

:)
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Oh, and the tutorials are rubbish. They only show you the pish easy bits.

Grr.
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:33
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Azul wrote:
> A question.
>
> What on Earth is the HQ for? You know - when you first start and
> choose your name etc, there's an option to build an HQ for your
> company.
>
> What's it for then?

As far as I can tell, absolutely nothing. But you can see it change from being one shed on a wasteland to a huge office building as time progresses and your transport empire expands.

> And I swear - this is a complete rip off of that Railroad Tycoon game
> thing.

Nah, a remake of the orignal Tranport Tycoon which is some ten years old. It has similarities, though Railroad Tycoon only let you build trains, not busses, trams, aircraft and ships that Locomotion allows.
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:35
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Anyone got any tips on how to put someone out of business? Some old hag has just stolen one of my train routes and has taken all the business I was doing there, leaving two of my train networks that now aren't making the money it was.
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:38
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Azul wrote:
> Anything that involves some form of transport really.
>
> :)

Heh, well I gather you've worked out the building part. So you have your rail/road network with station/cargo bay/passanger terminal, right?

After you've got that laid down, get to the buy vechile item on the top bar, select the vehicle you want, if you need a train you'll need carriages. So get a wagon if you're transporting coal, a coach if passangers, etc.

Then drop it somewhere on the route you want it to take, click on it to bring a small box up. After this you need to set its orders by clicking one of the icons within the new pop up box. Point the order arrows at the stations you want the vehicle to visit in order. Then click the red flag to make it turn green and let fly.

Have you done that part?
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:40
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
cipro wrote:
> Anyone got any tips on how to put someone out of business? Some old
> hag has just stolen one of my train routes and has taken all the
> business I was doing there, leaving two of my train networks that now
> aren't making the money it was.

On the last game I would use like with like. If your competitior nabs one of your network, then go to one of THEIR networks that is doing well, and place your station in a position that will catch more passangers/materials. An example of this would be a coal mine. Say your competitior has a station built next to it, move yours there too, but so that your station covers more of the mine with its blue catchment area. This should boost the amount of materials being dropped on your station.

Hope it helps.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.