GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 is in trouble!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/06/01 at 12:44
Regular
Companies which devoted three quarters of last years work to the PS2 have failed to make any profit what so ever, in some cases companies which launched a game at the release of the PS2 failed to even make there money back, this is happening for many releases for the PS2. Sony are doing nothing about it, they don't help developers,as they see it that if the companies want to release a game they can.... and its not their fault the game doesn't sell.

You want an example... Capcom or Konami, yeap either of those companies. Two years ago they had there eyes on a large profit when delevoping for the PS2, they saw it as a new gold mine, but now they have become aware of many problems. If we take the case of the Japanese sales figures we can see what they are conernced about.

Millions of PS2's have been sold in Japan, and Sony are dancing around their maple tree with joy, but although the console may be selling well in Japan, the same can't be said for the games. Statistics show that only one in three buyers of a PS2 have brought an official PS2 game, most customers are happy to play there old PS games and enjoy them while watching DVD's.

Companies are losing money, so they are focusing a lot more on other consoles now, many games which were PS2 exclusive titles are moving to the opposition and in some cases abandoning the PS2 all together.

Turbonutter, if you were a company, say 'Turbonut'. Would you continue to develop for a console that was making you no real profit, your game may be good, but when twenty games a week are being released it just doesn't stand out from the crowd. Your company has invested £10,000 into the promotion, only to be swamped by the oppostions $1,000,000 for MGS2 in America. Would you get out while you had the chance? I think so.

Sony are loving it at the moment, things are looking rosier than ever for them, but don't you like the word 'them', for they are not offering any support to the companies and developers around them, which are losing money because of Sony.

Customers are enjoying the games they are buying, thats fine by them as they wait for the same game they have been waiting for, for over two years. (worrying).

Here comes a large prediction. I reckon MGS2 will become a game that will be released on more than one console (shock horror). Konami have no actual agreement for who they release the game and as Konami are preferring to develop new games for the other consoles why shouldn't they make more money by releasing it on others!

The gamers like you and I who own a PS2 are quite happy with lots of games and genres to choose from, but this is a problem.

Do You See?
Thanks
er-no

Please let me know your feelings, this is not to defame the PS2, but I am actually worried about the black boxes future!
Sun 17/06/01 at 14:38
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
u know, there are more PS2 sales thn PS2 games sales in japan

Sonic
Sun 17/06/01 at 13:57
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
With the issue of people buying a PS2 and not many games- I really do think that people are so broke because of the price of the console (costing a whooping £300) therefor not being able to afford many games. I don’t see what is wrong with people just playing DVD’s and PS2 games on it, afteral that is why the console is so expensive, so the customer has a right to use this features as this is what their hard earned money has gone to. The PS2 is not even classed as a games console, instead it is known as a home entertainment system, so people are obviously going to be playing other things on it than just games.

Sony should have though about the matter of companies loosing money harder. They know that there are going to be dozens of people who are just going to be buying a PS2 just for its DVD player.

Then again, maybe it’s the game companies’ fault. Maybe they should have sensed trouble with the PS2. No, on second thoughts that wouldn’t be fair for the PS2. It is a really powerful console, which is loved by thousands. It hasn’t even been out a year in the UK, so I wish people would just give it some time. Sony need to correct a few issues with the PS2. First being advertisement. I think that if they scrap the “3’rd place” advert, and make one that shows of some quality games rather than a headless duck, people will be more excited about it. Fair enough that the “3rd place” got people talking about it, and that is what Sony planned, but I think they were talking about it for the wrong reasons.

What people need to realise is games will start coming out for the PS2, which really show it off. Okay, SSX is a quality game but Sony can not just rely on this all their life.

Now, this is what really concerns me with the future of the PS2. The game company Konami has made it quite clear that they are making a metal gear solid for the X-Box and also for the Gamecube. And this is a very good move for them because they can find out which console they are going to make the most profit out of. This is where the problem for the PS2 comes on, because as we all know, it has been a slow start for the PS2 and the userbase is still a little low. With not many people owning a PS2 yet, they will obviously not buy MGS2, but with the Gamecube looking so promising, maybe people will buy the Gamecube instead. This will possibly mean that the game will not sell as well on the PS2 and then Konami will be thinking “should we part PS2?”.

Maybe I will be proved wrong and MGS2 selling the best on the PS2, and I really hope it does, as I don’t think people will love the PS2 as much without Konami making games for it.

What Gamecube is doing right and the PS2 doing wrong is all down to exclusive titles. Many people are delighted with the fact that the Gamecube has some fantastic titles that will never be made on any other console. Take Mario for instance. This is a game that I personally think people think of when they hear the words “Nintendo” Mario always features in a game with the launch of a console. This maybe is a point that the PS2 can not win.

I was quite shocked that SSX was going to be released on the Gamecube and the X-Box. With SSX being the best PS2 game, I think this is another issue that needs to be fixed. I am not talking about the issue of SSX going on different consoles, but I think Sony need to persuade game companies to make PS2 exclusive games for it. This will certainly increase the user base for it, wouldn’t it?

So, is the PS2 really in trouble? At this early stage I say no, and if Sony correct some issues I am sure that it will start to make money, for Sony and also for the game companies.
Sun 17/06/01 at 13:20
Regular
"Back For Good"
where did you get that info from? bull.com

and if thats your prediction here's a fact Metal Gear Solid 2 is coming out for the Xbox too oh "shock horror" but not for a long time.

what a pointless topic!!
Sun 17/06/01 at 12:44
Regular
"everyone says it"
Companies which devoted three quarters of last years work to the PS2 have failed to make any profit what so ever, in some cases companies which launched a game at the release of the PS2 failed to even make there money back, this is happening for many releases for the PS2. Sony are doing nothing about it, they don't help developers,as they see it that if the companies want to release a game they can.... and its not their fault the game doesn't sell.

You want an example... Capcom or Konami, yeap either of those companies. Two years ago they had there eyes on a large profit when delevoping for the PS2, they saw it as a new gold mine, but now they have become aware of many problems. If we take the case of the Japanese sales figures we can see what they are conernced about.

Millions of PS2's have been sold in Japan, and Sony are dancing around their maple tree with joy, but although the console may be selling well in Japan, the same can't be said for the games. Statistics show that only one in three buyers of a PS2 have brought an official PS2 game, most customers are happy to play there old PS games and enjoy them while watching DVD's.

Companies are losing money, so they are focusing a lot more on other consoles now, many games which were PS2 exclusive titles are moving to the opposition and in some cases abandoning the PS2 all together.

Turbonutter, if you were a company, say 'Turbonut'. Would you continue to develop for a console that was making you no real profit, your game may be good, but when twenty games a week are being released it just doesn't stand out from the crowd. Your company has invested £10,000 into the promotion, only to be swamped by the oppostions $1,000,000 for MGS2 in America. Would you get out while you had the chance? I think so.

Sony are loving it at the moment, things are looking rosier than ever for them, but don't you like the word 'them', for they are not offering any support to the companies and developers around them, which are losing money because of Sony.

Customers are enjoying the games they are buying, thats fine by them as they wait for the same game they have been waiting for, for over two years. (worrying).

Here comes a large prediction. I reckon MGS2 will become a game that will be released on more than one console (shock horror). Konami have no actual agreement for who they release the game and as Konami are preferring to develop new games for the other consoles why shouldn't they make more money by releasing it on others!

The gamers like you and I who own a PS2 are quite happy with lots of games and genres to choose from, but this is a problem.

Do You See?
Thanks
er-no

Please let me know your feelings, this is not to defame the PS2, but I am actually worried about the black boxes future!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.