GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games are a bit like...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/06/01 at 00:01
Regular
Computer games, I thought to myself today, are a bit like football.

what? I hear you say. Well, look at it this way.

Football is enjoyed by millions of people around the world and is played both in teams and less professionally. You can have a kick about whenever you feel like it, as long as you have the equipment (a ball) to play with. This is the same for games, with competitions for cash prizes and fame becoming more and more common, but still being able to pick up and play a handheld wherever you go.

Football has many supporters, split into camps depending on which team you support. Games have this as well, with supporters for different formats. This can be broken down into several groups;

People who support one team, and one team only. They will follow their team through the good times and through relagation, as will gamesplayers supporting a single company, staying with them even as the console fails to sell enough or is considered less popular, they always know there is another chance. They will simply not be told that any other make is better than theirs, no matter what evidence is in front of them.

People who like to watch football, but don't support a specific team, just turn up for local games or watch most games on tv. This can be compared to those who pick up the most popular console, regardless of the maker. They are quite happy to go around to a mate's house and have a game on another console and will never get into a 'my console is better than yours' arguement, as it would be pointless to them.

Some people are casual football watchers, not worrying if they miss a team's game and just watching the game if it happens to be on TV or a mate invites them to the local ground for a day out. Casual gamers don't really worry about owning the latest games, or keeping up with the news. They would be as happy playing frogger as Gran Turismo 3 and if they get to play a new game at a friend's house they are quite happy to give it a go.

Lastly there are people that are so obsessed by football that it takes over their lives. They eat, drink and sleep football, going to every match and never missing a game. There are gamers that never miss a new game for their system and will stay outside of shops all night to get the latest console. They are obsessed to the point of getting less sunlight than a vampire in order to clock up enough time to play their favorite console and will lap up every piece of news about games.

Ok, so perhaps games cause less violence than football, unless you beleive those wierd groups that say otherwise, and football is slightly more sociable, but there are some pretty big parallels too.

So I'm off to eat, drink and sleep games again. I just keep telling myself I'm not obsessed....
Thu 14/06/01 at 20:35
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Great post pb. However, I wish that you would start being a little more original with your so called "topics" though, this topic has been posted dozens of times before!

;-)
Thu 14/06/01 at 20:25
Regular
"everyone says it"
pb wrote:
> Physics. What goes up must come down...

IT: First came Mr
> Babage, now we have mr Rainbird...

Did I pass?

No the answer to the IT question is:

IT: First came Mr Rainbird, now we have er-no...
Thu 14/06/01 at 20:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I fall into a differant category.

I will follow Sony to it's death (if somewhat unforeseeable) because it has the games I like. I do keep an open mind, though, and I am considering getting a GC, but only if there are racing games.

I don't know how this fits in football, but I will follow any console that has really good racing games.

As I said. Open mind.
Thu 14/06/01 at 20:11
"possibly impossible"
Physics. What goes up must come down...

IT: First came Mr Babage, now we have mr Rainbird...

Did I pass?
Thu 14/06/01 at 20:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
Thanks pb.... only two exams left!

Physics :(
and IT :)
Thu 14/06/01 at 20:04
"possibly impossible"
As long as you had two carts to lay down as a goal, you could play it anywhere!
Thu 14/06/01 at 06:45
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I'd be on Ninty's side!
Thu 14/06/01 at 00:24
"possibly impossible"
Good luck in the exam er-no.
Thu 14/06/01 at 00:13
Regular
"everyone says it"
Games are a bit like football?

What a great original topic... ahh.
Now I can go to bed thinking about nothing but football gaming and women..... and the DT exam in eight hours...

nice post pb!

:)
Thu 14/06/01 at 00:01
"possibly impossible"
Computer games, I thought to myself today, are a bit like football.

what? I hear you say. Well, look at it this way.

Football is enjoyed by millions of people around the world and is played both in teams and less professionally. You can have a kick about whenever you feel like it, as long as you have the equipment (a ball) to play with. This is the same for games, with competitions for cash prizes and fame becoming more and more common, but still being able to pick up and play a handheld wherever you go.

Football has many supporters, split into camps depending on which team you support. Games have this as well, with supporters for different formats. This can be broken down into several groups;

People who support one team, and one team only. They will follow their team through the good times and through relagation, as will gamesplayers supporting a single company, staying with them even as the console fails to sell enough or is considered less popular, they always know there is another chance. They will simply not be told that any other make is better than theirs, no matter what evidence is in front of them.

People who like to watch football, but don't support a specific team, just turn up for local games or watch most games on tv. This can be compared to those who pick up the most popular console, regardless of the maker. They are quite happy to go around to a mate's house and have a game on another console and will never get into a 'my console is better than yours' arguement, as it would be pointless to them.

Some people are casual football watchers, not worrying if they miss a team's game and just watching the game if it happens to be on TV or a mate invites them to the local ground for a day out. Casual gamers don't really worry about owning the latest games, or keeping up with the news. They would be as happy playing frogger as Gran Turismo 3 and if they get to play a new game at a friend's house they are quite happy to give it a go.

Lastly there are people that are so obsessed by football that it takes over their lives. They eat, drink and sleep football, going to every match and never missing a game. There are gamers that never miss a new game for their system and will stay outside of shops all night to get the latest console. They are obsessed to the point of getting less sunlight than a vampire in order to clock up enough time to play their favorite console and will lap up every piece of news about games.

Ok, so perhaps games cause less violence than football, unless you beleive those wierd groups that say otherwise, and football is slightly more sociable, but there are some pretty big parallels too.

So I'm off to eat, drink and sleep games again. I just keep telling myself I'm not obsessed....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.