GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games are a bit like...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/06/01 at 00:01
Regular
Computer games, I thought to myself today, are a bit like football.

what? I hear you say. Well, look at it this way.

Football is enjoyed by millions of people around the world and is played both in teams and less professionally. You can have a kick about whenever you feel like it, as long as you have the equipment (a ball) to play with. This is the same for games, with competitions for cash prizes and fame becoming more and more common, but still being able to pick up and play a handheld wherever you go.

Football has many supporters, split into camps depending on which team you support. Games have this as well, with supporters for different formats. This can be broken down into several groups;

People who support one team, and one team only. They will follow their team through the good times and through relagation, as will gamesplayers supporting a single company, staying with them even as the console fails to sell enough or is considered less popular, they always know there is another chance. They will simply not be told that any other make is better than theirs, no matter what evidence is in front of them.

People who like to watch football, but don't support a specific team, just turn up for local games or watch most games on tv. This can be compared to those who pick up the most popular console, regardless of the maker. They are quite happy to go around to a mate's house and have a game on another console and will never get into a 'my console is better than yours' arguement, as it would be pointless to them.

Some people are casual football watchers, not worrying if they miss a team's game and just watching the game if it happens to be on TV or a mate invites them to the local ground for a day out. Casual gamers don't really worry about owning the latest games, or keeping up with the news. They would be as happy playing frogger as Gran Turismo 3 and if they get to play a new game at a friend's house they are quite happy to give it a go.

Lastly there are people that are so obsessed by football that it takes over their lives. They eat, drink and sleep football, going to every match and never missing a game. There are gamers that never miss a new game for their system and will stay outside of shops all night to get the latest console. They are obsessed to the point of getting less sunlight than a vampire in order to clock up enough time to play their favorite console and will lap up every piece of news about games.

Ok, so perhaps games cause less violence than football, unless you beleive those wierd groups that say otherwise, and football is slightly more sociable, but there are some pretty big parallels too.

So I'm off to eat, drink and sleep games again. I just keep telling myself I'm not obsessed....
Fri 15/06/01 at 18:39
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Maybe you've got a sixth sense rather like........sight. No, it doesn't work does it?

Yeah, why would you want a game then, idiot!!!

:)
Fri 15/06/01 at 18:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Bonus wrote:
> But what if your blind??

Why the hell would you want a game then?

Idiot...
Fri 15/06/01 at 11:30
Regular
But what if your blind??
Fri 15/06/01 at 11:28
Regular
"not dead"
Gaming is a lot like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

Unless you look at the box.

And the little card that tells you what each one is.

And you know that nobody will eat the coffee ones.

There.

That's an analogy for you.
Fri 15/06/01 at 11:13
Regular
Dan take note, this is how to write a GAD winning post!!!

Well done pb!!
Fri 15/06/01 at 10:09
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Cue Swiss Tony, from The Fast Show:

"You know, playing video games, is very much like [CENSORED - this is a family forum].

"You have to be skillfull. You'll perform best when you're relaxed. You need good joystick control, too. If you don't last long enough, then it's game over. It's all about pushing the right buttons."
Fri 15/06/01 at 10:05
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
slaveunit wrote:

PS2 On-line gaming will be massive (if
> the price is right), playing people all over the world, but i doubt
> it would ever lead to mass violence in the way football does.

Trying to puch someone in a different country to you, is a little harder to do :)

Computer Games Like Football??

mmm.... Well... most people play games.... and most people watch football...

Watching computer games is VERY dull... whiclst watching football can be almost as exciting as playinhg
Fri 15/06/01 at 09:56
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Football is one of the top three biggest forms of racism in the world. Games are the same the world over and gamers can sit and play someone from anywhere and enjot it without all his mates beating up the other blokes mates.

PS2 On-line gaming will be massive (if the price is right), playing people all over the world, but i doubt it would ever lead to mass violence in the way football does.
Thu 14/06/01 at 22:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Women do not understand men's obsession with footie

good comparison!

Sonic
Thu 14/06/01 at 22:13
"possibly impossible"
whoops. better start a new topic then.

hm. something original...I know...

{types the title 'Console Wars' before being lynched}

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.