GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC or Console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 18:06
Regular
it looks like the future gamer is going to have a lot of choice over which console to buy, like Gamecube or X-Box, but are they really a substitute for the mighty PC?
clearly the PC is much better, as u can play games as well as loads of other stuff (like this forum thingy), i really don't know why someone would waste their money on buying a £200 console when they can upgrade their PC or buy better games...
so a final word : PC towers above all consoles.
Tue 12/06/01 at 09:11
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
The PC is overal in STATS better than every console although is only just beating the XBOX if you look at it most people will have about an P3 700mhz cpu.

But some might have better some might have less, but the graphics on a decent PC are outstanding, and sometimes if you don't own a 25-30 quid PC controller the controlls can get a bit complicated and hard to remember all of them.

But it is still have to be used to do homework word processing, internet, also this can be used for the ultimate in multiplayer experience.

And other pieces of documents and files.

But it is still great to be able to go and sit down and play on a conosle good or bad, since they will have been made for comfortable and easy gaming and are good if you like playing RPG's and games with a slightly more advanced control system.

These consoles are originally designed for Gaming and for nothing else, they will have cheap and comfortable controllers, better collision detection in games, better polygon count and have a more steady framerate as this is the kind of stuff it is designed for.

Whereas you need a good computer which ususally costs £1000+ just for the basic software and PC to run it and extra money for games, more upgrades and modems (if one is not already installed).

And although it can be fun to kick someones @ss at a game who lives on the other side of the planet it is sometimes more fun to beat a mate who is in the same room as you, even then you can remind him of the loss al day.

So it is good if you don't do to much work that would need storing, or if you surf the net and are obbsesed wit it. To have a good console,

Or

If you do exactly the opposite and still like to play games then a decent PC is the right choice, but in most cases we end up getting both since nowadays each has everything we want.

ZP
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:46
Reaper[DC] wrote:
> It really depends on personal preference - if you only like racing
> games, beat 'em ups or platformers, then it makes much more sense to
> get a console. If you want very few crashes and guarentees your
> software will be compatible, get a console. If you want a cheaper
> machine solely for games, get a console.

What was my reason for
> liking pcs again?

Oh yeah, just because they do other things
> that I want, whereas consoles are closed source, and games only. Get
> whatever you want, and be happy.

Wahey! Somebody who understands!
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:44
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
It really depends on personal preference - if you only like racing games, beat 'em ups or platformers, then it makes much more sense to get a console. If you want very few crashes and guarentees your software will be compatible, get a console. If you want a cheaper machine solely for games, get a console.

What was my reason for liking pcs again?

Oh yeah, just because they do other things that I want, whereas consoles are closed source, and games only. Get whatever you want, and be happy.
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:38
Why do we need to know which one is better? PC's and consoles are not in direct competition with each other.
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:34
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
As of right now (I don't care how much the mac scene is improving), the PC is a better machine for games than the Mac er-no, so a few comments about how bad they are at it as well?

Personally I prefer the PC, but my favourite genres are FPS and Strategy, so they make more sense, and I also use them for other things. I do also have consoles, but I prefer the pc because of

1) Upgrade potential (I know not eveyrone likes to have to upgrade)..
2) Variety of games (Huge back-catalogue of titles)
3) Better online multiplayers.

Just my opinion, I know that consoles will start to get these things, but they wont be able to support the other things I use pc for (other apps, design etc) for a while yet - mainly because the demand isn't there.
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:24
Regular
"everyone says it"
PC's are a waste of the plastic they are made in!

They stink.

**Apart from MAXX PC's!**

er-no: promotion king!
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:18
The New Jimmy wrote:
> With the advent of USB ports on new consoles, there is no reason
> that a PC USB peripheral be it keyboard, mouse or joypad cannot be
> used on consoles to. So in the Future Deux Ex will be possible on a
> console.

Ah, good. That should make playing Half Life much easier.
Mon 11/06/01 at 22:27
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The New Jimmy wrote:
> With the advent of USB ports on new consoles, there is no reason
> that a PC USB peripheral be it keyboard, mouse or joypad cannot be
> used on consoles to. So in the Future Deux Ex will be possible on a
> console.

Good job their currently writing it for the PS2 then huh? :)
Mon 11/06/01 at 22:10
Regular
"everyone says it"
Consoles are designed for games.
PC are designed to muck up and hang.

Do You See?

:P
Mon 11/06/01 at 22:08
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
With the advent of USB ports on new consoles, there is no reason that a PC USB peripheral be it keyboard, mouse or joypad cannot be used on consoles to. So in the Future Deux Ex will be possible on a console.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.