GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web site display ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/11/05 at 17:11
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I've just finished work on a website for a friend, its not online yet but I went to see them today just to show them the final version.

Small problem though, I've been designing the site on my laptop so its set for a 1024*768 display. He's using 800*600 so it doesn't quite display as planned on his machine and his monitor is too small for him to use a bigger resolution.

Anything that can be done to optimize the code to run well on both displays? Something I've never come across before so I know very little about what can be done.
Will I have to redesign the site for the smaller display and just accept how it appears on 1024*768?

Any advice and info would be much appreciated.
Fri 11/11/05 at 13:39
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
I'm assuming you possibly have an image in there which is possibly what's throwing everything out. A table cell will only collapse as far as it's content allows. If you have something like an image or link in there wider then the target screen, it'll throw it all out.

Other then that it's simple math.
Fri 11/11/05 at 13:11
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It would be helpful if we could see it to tell you where you're going wrong with the tables.

There should be no issues using tables with IE and FF.
Fri 11/11/05 at 13:08
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Bah.

So I guess my only real option would be to redesign the site and have a version suitable for 800x600 displays and one for greater resolutions.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions or ideas?
Thu 10/11/05 at 17:27
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I'm using %'s for the widths but for some reason IE doesn't like me using that in tables.
Also using a 2 column CSS layout and in IE it moves the left hand menu images to the bottom of the screen under the content.

Firefox seems to handle it better though.

:-(
Thu 10/11/05 at 17:16
Regular
You can either set the width of the page to fit on an 800 x 600 resolution or use %'s so that it will use the full width of the screen no matter what the resolution is.
Thu 10/11/05 at 17:11
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I've just finished work on a website for a friend, its not online yet but I went to see them today just to show them the final version.

Small problem though, I've been designing the site on my laptop so its set for a 1024*768 display. He's using 800*600 so it doesn't quite display as planned on his machine and his monitor is too small for him to use a bigger resolution.

Anything that can be done to optimize the code to run well on both displays? Something I've never come across before so I know very little about what can be done.
Will I have to redesign the site for the smaller display and just accept how it appears on 1024*768?

Any advice and info would be much appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.