GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lampard or Gerrard for England??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/10/05 at 16:37
Regular
"Baros!!!"
This has been discussed loads of times, but me and my mate are going on about it and we disagree with each other.

So, who would you drop out of the England side if you could only play 1 out of Gerrard and Lampard?

I had Lampard, because of his stats for Chelsea (6 goals in 11) and stats for England (5 goals in 10 in the group games)

He had Gerrard because he won Liverpool the European Cup and is a better defensive player than Lampard.

So who would you have and why?
Mon 31/10/05 at 19:12
Regular
Errr Gerrard is better in big game situations.

But Lampard is going from strength to strength.
Mon 31/10/05 at 17:12
Regular
"Green & White Army"
Gerrards better all round than Lampard but I feel Lampard has a bit more flair than Gerrard. The only reason Gerrard isn't as good for England is that he hasn't been given a proper role in the team whereas at Liverpool he knows exactyly what his job is.

Still why does it have to be one or the other. England have two of the best central midfielders in the world and yet Sven can't find a system to get them to work together. When England get a good manager in charge (Alan Curbishley would be ideal) then i'm sure they will get a way for Stevie and Lampard to work together.
Mon 31/10/05 at 17:03
Regular
How is Gerrard more defensive?

Benitez almost employs him as a second striker sometimes.
Mon 31/10/05 at 12:22
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
definately Lampard - tries for goal all the time - and scores so many. Best midfielder in the world. Gerrard is a little too defensive. In football, the best offense is an attacking force - from defence to strikers.
Sat 22/10/05 at 00:15
Just watch carefully next time, though it's hard to miss.

I swear, even the commentators make fun of him because of how awful he is.
Sat 22/10/05 at 00:13
Regular
Nah, never seen him dive.

Perhaps he goes to ground after an unfair challenge sometimes, but I've never seen him just go all out and completely fake something.

Although it might just be because he's really, really good at it.
Sat 22/10/05 at 00:09
Whaaaat?

Owen always dives, AWFULLY.

He dives so awfully, that referees find it charming and take pity on him, and give him the free kick anyway, even when he hits the ground three minutes after full time.
Sat 22/10/05 at 00:07
Regular
OswaldoČ4 wrote:
> hapless dive from Michael Owen.

Where on earth have you got this from?

Owen doesn't dive. He's a ridiculously fair player. He's had about four yellow cards in his entire career.

Besides, he's English.
Fri 21/10/05 at 21:07
Regular
"Long time no see!"
The David Beckham debate, like the Lampard-vs.-Gerrard argument, is one which I believe depends greatly now on how the rest of the team shapes up and who we are up against.

If Eriksson is too smartly go for the Ledley King-holding midfield player option in our next competitive match, as I believe he should, then that leaves you with three spaces ahead - and why not make them all attacking players then?

Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham could still featute in the same starting lineup together. I admire Shaun Wright-Phillips and Stewart Downing (when fit) very much, don't get me wrong. But I don't honestly think there's a better mifdield trio to attack some of the world's very best in our squad, on paper anyway.
I'm not entirely sure opting for two naturally wide players would be the safest option here anyway. I'm all for stretching a team as much as any other person may be, but our team now is pretty much centralised around Wayne Rooney, who relishes any opurtunity in the middle, for club and for country. You can't say the same for playing down the channels, after Northern Ireland.

It also leaves the 'middle-man' highly exposed to the counter attack, when England inevitabley lose the ball to another dissapointing touch from Peter Crouch or perhaps a hapless dive from Michael Owen.

Back to the main topic, and Steven Gerrard is the better man of the two for a defensive job. Saying that, however, I'm sure you're all aware by now that he is shining brighter than ever in the attacking sense, especially for Liverpool. These talents are ones that truly cannot be ignored, in the aftermath of Paul Scholes' early retirement.

As for David Beckham, personally, I still feel he has an awful lot to offer our team at the highest level. If any one player in our team can come back from the adversity to perform when called upon I still believe he is the man.
However, I don't rate him as a captain. He's certainly no leader of men on the pitch - how many times have we seen an England team in need of a big pick-me-up within the last 6 months alone. We need someone with a voice, someone with real pressence - just like Ince and Adams used to be...

Beckham's been rightfully critisised almost every time he's pulled on an England shirt recently and I find it apalling once again to see a new excuse in the 'papers today: "My back hurts before and after every game, it's me, the way I kick the ball, I'm special, I'm an exception, I have to take painkillers 24/7..."

Make what you like of it.
Fri 21/10/05 at 19:16
"LOLLERSKATES!"
I'm sorry, but you cannot drop David beckham. Fair enough, Wright-phillips is a great player, but whenever England have been really down needed a leader to pull them thorugh - Beckham has been there, Against greece for instance, or virtually the whole of the '98 world cup, excluding argentina. Beckham Hasn't been as good in the last few years, but he is still a world class player, and the best choice for his role, as he is the best crosser and long-range passer in the world, and of course he is our captain as well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.