GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 already wielding its power"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/10/05 at 03:31
"High polygon count"
Paramount, one of the largest companies previously signed up for HD-DVD support only, has announced that it is to support Blu-Ray and cites PS3 as a major reason.

Warner and Universal are expected to follow suit.

[URL]http://www.blu-ray.com[/URL]

There's also an article there reporting that almost every major PC player is supporting Blu-Ray over HD-DVD.

Could HD-DVD be dead before it's even launched? According to the report on VideoBusiness.com...

"Several execs in each camp believe the Paramount announcement to publish in both formats - which is the direction Warner has been leaning for the past week or two with a similar announcement expected this week - is simply a temporary face-saving strategy and that ultimately all studios will shift completely over to Blu-ray by launch time."

Apparently even Microsoft won't commit to using HD-DVD in future Xbox 360's.
Wed 05/10/05 at 03:31
"High polygon count"
Paramount, one of the largest companies previously signed up for HD-DVD support only, has announced that it is to support Blu-Ray and cites PS3 as a major reason.

Warner and Universal are expected to follow suit.

[URL]http://www.blu-ray.com[/URL]

There's also an article there reporting that almost every major PC player is supporting Blu-Ray over HD-DVD.

Could HD-DVD be dead before it's even launched? According to the report on VideoBusiness.com...

"Several execs in each camp believe the Paramount announcement to publish in both formats - which is the direction Warner has been leaning for the past week or two with a similar announcement expected this week - is simply a temporary face-saving strategy and that ultimately all studios will shift completely over to Blu-ray by launch time."

Apparently even Microsoft won't commit to using HD-DVD in future Xbox 360's.
Wed 05/10/05 at 05:03
Regular
"8==="
I wouldn't expect such a postive spin from blu-ray.com...
Wed 05/10/05 at 12:53
Regular
Microsoft haven't ruled out using Blu-Ray yet, but they have stated catagorically that they will be supporting HD-DVD as are Intel for their systems.

So, whether PC manufacturers like it or not, if they want to use integrated Intel chipsets in their cheap systems they may be shoe-horned into HD-DVD.

There's a post with a link to an article with the reasons why MS said Blu-Ray was rubbish in the Xbox forum, but anyone would hardly expect them to openly support Sony technology.
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:05
Regular
"8==="
Indeed, although I expect the Halo movie will be released on all formats. :D
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Like I actually give a flying f**k.
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:09
Regular
"8==="
Well, if you did, I wouldn't want to be the guy holding the charity box.
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:15
"High polygon count"
Bonus wrote:
> There's a post with a link to an article with the reasons why MS said
> Blu-Ray was rubbish in the Xbox forum, but anyone would hardly expect
> them to openly support Sony technology.

I haven't seen it yet, but would that be the article that this is in response to? (From prnewswire,com)

"PALO ALTO, Calif. and AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Worldwide
computer leaders and Blu-ray Disc Association members, Dell, and Hewlett
Packard, today addressed the inaccurate information cited by Microsoft and
Intel regarding the Blu-ray Disc format."

Genuine question... I don't know.

Indeed there are some issues:

"The company said Blu-ray has yet to answer important questions about copyright protection; open licensing in general and easily programmable and low-cost licensing of enhanced interactive features; whether Blu-ray's maximum capacity disc will be ready for replicators to produce by 2006; and Blu-ray's ability to offer discs featuring movies in both Blu-ray and current DVD formats for play on multiple machines owned by consumers."

But given the major companies behind the format (it's not just Sony - there are nine major players involved), I can't see those issues being unresolved.
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:16
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> I wouldn't expect such a postive spin from blu-ray.com...

The report isn't actually on Blu-Ray.com - it's on VideoBusiness.com
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:17
Regular
"8==="
Which is linked to from blu-ray.com who must choose their links with an immense amount of impartiality.
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:58
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> Which is linked to from blu-ray.com who must choose their links with
> an immense amount of impartiality.

Okay, try this one: [URL]http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20051003_131537.html[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.