GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 already wielding its power"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/10/05 at 03:31
"High polygon count"
Paramount, one of the largest companies previously signed up for HD-DVD support only, has announced that it is to support Blu-Ray and cites PS3 as a major reason.

Warner and Universal are expected to follow suit.

[URL]http://www.blu-ray.com[/URL]

There's also an article there reporting that almost every major PC player is supporting Blu-Ray over HD-DVD.

Could HD-DVD be dead before it's even launched? According to the report on VideoBusiness.com...

"Several execs in each camp believe the Paramount announcement to publish in both formats - which is the direction Warner has been leaning for the past week or two with a similar announcement expected this week - is simply a temporary face-saving strategy and that ultimately all studios will shift completely over to Blu-ray by launch time."

Apparently even Microsoft won't commit to using HD-DVD in future Xbox 360's.
Sat 08/10/05 at 00:39
"High polygon count"
For anyone interested in this format saga... [URL]http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024.htm[/URL]

It's a long article, but well worth a read if you've any interest in the subject.
Thu 06/10/05 at 14:38
"High polygon count"
Blank wrote:
> Blu-Ray is better because it has a cooler name. You all know it's the
> truth, let's not pretend it has anything to do with anything else.

I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it...

;-p
Thu 06/10/05 at 00:35
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Blu-Ray is better because it has a cooler name. You all know it's the truth, let's not pretend it has anything to do with anything else.
Wed 05/10/05 at 15:23
Regular
From what I understood before the whole Intel/MS article I read in the Xbox forum, Blu-Ray was winning the industry battles.

It also seems Wookie is much more in touch with what each of the companies behind Blu-ray are saying, so I'd be happy to accept that Blu-ray is going to be the format most distributers in America at least will use.

Plus, if the consumer is going to be buying a PS3 then that's the format they'll use and Microsoft cannot show their hand with the 360 until Sony show theirs because right now sony are the industry leaders and trend setters and if the PS3 starts outselling the 360 at 2:1 then having HD-DVD instead of Blu-ray will take the bottom right out of the market for the 360 as a digital media hub for the living room and leave it's only trump card being Media Centre streaming.

I can see this being a more important battle between the consoles than processor power and graphics capabilities as it's one of the main things which has a direct effect on the end consumer.
Wed 05/10/05 at 14:28
Regular
"8==="
I don't doubt the basic facts, just how they are presented and by whom in some cases.
Wed 05/10/05 at 14:23
"High polygon count"
Okay, so Google "paramount blu-ray" and you'll find any number of independent reports.
Wed 05/10/05 at 14:02
Regular
"8==="
That site's geared up for selling things to people that visit it so it makes sense they'd be for the more costly format. :D
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:58
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> Which is linked to from blu-ray.com who must choose their links with
> an immense amount of impartiality.

Okay, try this one: [URL]http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20051003_131537.html[/URL]
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:17
Regular
"8==="
Which is linked to from blu-ray.com who must choose their links with an immense amount of impartiality.
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:16
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> I wouldn't expect such a postive spin from blu-ray.com...

The report isn't actually on Blu-Ray.com - it's on VideoBusiness.com

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.