GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crackers remove PSP anti-piracy features..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/09/05 at 02:57
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
Crackers this week claimed to have successfully ripped out the latest Sony PlayStation Portable firmware and replaced it with an earlier version of the code containing fewer anti-piracy features.

The procedure exploits a recently discovered buffer overflow exploit which allows code to be incorporated into image data. When the PSP attempts to display the picture, it writes data beyond the space reserved for the image and into memory used by executable code. The code inserted into the picture file is then run.

The software, posted on the internet yesterday, forces the PSP to run Sony's firmware 1.5 updater, replacing firmware 2.0 with the older code.

One poster joyfully claimed the console is now "wide open".

Numerous postings on PSP-cracking websites claim the procedure works despite a system crash most of the way through the installation process. Some posters have even claimed to have re-applied firmware 2.0 successfully and downgraded to firmware 1.5 a second time, again without a hitch.

Sony released the PSP's firmware 2.0 this summer, first in Japan and later in the US. The consumer electronics giant launched the handheld games console in Europe on 1 September, and all European machines sold through official channels since then also include firmware 2.0.

In addition to patching a number of security holes then being exploited by crackers, along with tweaks to the console's existing copy-protection technologies, firmware 2.0 brings web browsing to the console, along with support for a range of new media types including iTunes' AAC (part of MPEG 4) and Sony's ATRAC 3 Plus, the latter supporting DRM, though the AAC component does not.

Curiously, the arrival of the crack code was followed almost immediately by a bun fight between different PSP cracking groups, each claiming to have come up with the procedure.

Meanwhile, Sony's own PSP coders are almost certainly nailing down the way the crack works and are likely to block it in a future firmware update.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/28/psp_firmware_crack/

Victory for the consumer! (again)
Fri 30/09/05 at 23:41
Regular
"8==="
So I appear to have mis-read you as a fanboy who doesn't know what he's talking about, when infact you're not a fanboy but you still don't seem to know much about what you're talking about regardless. :)
Fri 30/09/05 at 23:39
Regular
"8==="
Well the great opinion that springs to mind is how you kept banging on about how the PS3 was more powerful than the 360.

There's plenty of others to be dug up from that other thread ( the "PS2 games have 'progressed more'" stance for instance, which whilst technically true because of the nature of the PS2 is laughable when used as a point to back the stance you took up) so when those are all added up and approached with an open mind it does seem to suggest your opinion is infact less valid.
Fri 30/09/05 at 23:21
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> Having played it SO much I'd wager.

Enough to know it doesn't do much for me, yes. I'm currently playing Doom 3 on it.

> As far as having an opinion goes, I've nothing against that except
> the fact that yours seems to be rather ill-informed and rather
> fanboyish to say the least.

Yes, so I'm a Sony fanboy. So what? No more so than you are for Microsoft. It's okay for you to rubbish the machine, but if I defend it I'm a fanboy?

I don't defend it because I'm a blind Sony follower. Before the PS1 I'd never owned a single piece of Sony equipment. Aside from some late-70s machine, I'd never owned a console before the PS1 in 1996, and had no loyalties to or experience of any particular company. I went out to buy a Saturn with Panzer Dragoon and ended up getting a PS1 with Wipeout.

The PS1 was a damn good machine as far as I was concerned, with great games. The PS2 was a logical progression. The reason I love the Sony machines is because, from the PS1 to the PSP, they've given me thousands of hours of entertainment, and that's what I bought them for.

I saw Halo, thought "that looks fantastic" and bought an Xbox just to play it. I found it disappointing. The controller? Yes, I hated it. Fine layout (though I still preferred the DualShock)... it was just too damn big. The Controller-S was a much better option, and I bought one as soon as I could. But despite that, despite everything, the games on the Xbox have never really 'done it' for me. Why? I've no idea.

Similar with the Gamecube, which I eventually sold several months ago. At least I still have my Xbox.

So you see, I'm not as much of a blinkered Sony fanboy as you might like to make me out to be. I've looked at the 360 and the games for it, and I've tried to be enthusiastic about it. But it just doesn't get my gaming juices flowing, and I honestly can't tell you why. I can tell you that it has nothing to do with any loyalty to Sony.

Online gaming can be a million times better on the 360, but it just doesn't interest me. I can, if I want to, play online on my PC. I have done. It just doesn't interest me. In my personal opinion, nothing compares to having the person you're up against sat next to you in the same room.

Savatt lambasts the reliability of Sony's machines in the other thread, and says he doesn't want a PS3 partially because of that. Fair enough.

I can only speak from my experience, and that experience has been of two faultless PS2s and one Xbox that's had three significant problems. So my opinions are quite obviously the reverse. Why are my complaints about issues with my Xbox, and therefore the partial reason I'm not interested in the 360, any less valid?
Fri 30/09/05 at 22:51
Regular
"8==="
Having played it SO much I'd wager.

As far as having an opinion goes, I've nothing against that except the fact that yours seems to be rather ill-informed and rather fanboyish to say the least.

Try actually knowing what you're talking about or prepare to deal with people laughing at you, that's what needs to be dealt with.
Fri 30/09/05 at 22:45
"High polygon count"
And I did not say that the Xbox was crap.

I said I'd found it disappointing.
Fri 30/09/05 at 22:44
"High polygon count"
Why? I really can't be arsed.

PS3 is the machine I want.

My opinion differs from yours.

Deal with it!
Fri 30/09/05 at 22:39
Regular
"8==="
"OMG!! My xbox was crap therefore all xboxes after that one must be crap also!"

Another brilliant comment from you.

[URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=130575&forumid=135[/URL]

Answer.
Fri 30/09/05 at 22:33
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> I'd rather play some SNES RPG's on it than any of the guff that's
> been released on it so far.

But we know you have no taste, so fair enough! :-)
Fri 30/09/05 at 21:54
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
ssxpro wrote:
> Leela? Is that you?

Only on weekends and public holidays ;)
Fri 30/09/05 at 19:09
Regular
"gran turismo master"
I agree

some games released are good on the PSP,
but playing classics on a wide screen is very good.
I'm glad they've cracked it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.