GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/09/05 at 13:06
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Ok, i did perhaps a rather silly thing in rebooting my laptop yesterday. I saved all my files and such that i wanted to keep on my mp3 player ect ect.

Now, somethings clearly not gone right. I tried to reinstalled XP Home, which worked. However, it seems alot of my folders and such still exist from pre-reboot. That i guess isnt a big problem, but can anyone tell me why that happened?

The main thing is however, i cant get my sound to work, or my video cards. I want to play WoW but it wont load up, saying my video drivers need to be updated, but i dont know how to do that!

Theres lot of other silly little things that annoy me too. Whenever i scroll down on IE or Firefox, its really slow and lines appear across the screen as it adjusts and such. Also me keyboard wont stick to the UK layout.

If anyone could help with any of these problems, that would be great.

I knew i shouldnt have bothered rebooting!
Wed 14/09/05 at 13:06
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Ok, i did perhaps a rather silly thing in rebooting my laptop yesterday. I saved all my files and such that i wanted to keep on my mp3 player ect ect.

Now, somethings clearly not gone right. I tried to reinstalled XP Home, which worked. However, it seems alot of my folders and such still exist from pre-reboot. That i guess isnt a big problem, but can anyone tell me why that happened?

The main thing is however, i cant get my sound to work, or my video cards. I want to play WoW but it wont load up, saying my video drivers need to be updated, but i dont know how to do that!

Theres lot of other silly little things that annoy me too. Whenever i scroll down on IE or Firefox, its really slow and lines appear across the screen as it adjusts and such. Also me keyboard wont stick to the UK layout.

If anyone could help with any of these problems, that would be great.

I knew i shouldnt have bothered rebooting!
Wed 14/09/05 at 13:16
Regular
Did you re-format the hard drive first before you installed windows?

If not, that's why your files are still there.

As for drivers, goto start -> run -> type dxdiag and enter. Then you can tell us what graphics/sound you have.
Wed 14/09/05 at 13:36
Regular
"bit of a brain"
When you reinstall Windows, it often decides not to recognise your sound card or video card, and defaults to the motherboard's onboard graphics and sound. This can be fixed by reinstalling your video and sound cards. You'll know if this has happened if your video/sound card isn't mentioned in any of the hardware reports or whatever.
Wed 14/09/05 at 14:53
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Your files and such like won't disappear from just reinstalling Windows. they will only do that if you formatted your hard drive.

As for hardware not working, the only thing you can really do is reinstall their drivers and tell us if that fixes the problem. The reason for this is because some information about your hardware and their drivers is stored in the Windows Registry, and when you reinstall Windows, you install a fresh, clean registry and that information in the old one will have been overwritten.

For the browser issues, I don't know.

For your keyboard layout, go into Control Panel and load up Regional and Language Settings. Methodically go through every setting on every tab of this dialog and set it all to English British or United Kingdom. That'll hopefully sort it. When you are done, make sure you press OK on each dialog to close it, rather than the X or Cancel. Clciking OK will save the settings rather than discarding them.
Wed 14/09/05 at 14:58
Regular
"the burning sky"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Theres lot of other silly little things that annoy me too. Whenever i
> scroll down on IE or Firefox, its really slow and lines appear across
> the screen as it adjusts and such.

That may be due to not having your graphics card installed.
Wed 14/09/05 at 15:31
Regular
Tomm wrote:
> That may be due to not having your graphics card drivers installed.

=D
Wed 14/09/05 at 15:49
Regular
"the burning sky"
Damarus wrote:
> Tomm wrote:
> That may be due to not having your graphics card drivers
> installed.
>
> =D

Well as long as your graphics card drivers arent installed, its not worth having a gfx card in your computer :P I knew his GFX was in his computer, but I meant what you said :P
Wed 14/09/05 at 16:05
Regular
I knew what you meant.

I just happen to be very bored at work so I thought I'd torment you ^^
Wed 14/09/05 at 18:50
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Of course the card is installed. Otherwise he wouldn't get a picture at all, not even a crap one.
Thu 15/09/05 at 13:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
He would if his mobo has onboard graphics.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.